MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: milb.com thoughts on their Mock Mets Draft
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:14 am 
NYFS Staff

Just looked over their selections for us, here are my thoughts

Aaron Poreda, LHP, USF
- The advanced scouting report says he has gained 6-7mph on his fastball this year. But his scouting video doesn't show it as he just touches 90-91mph. Don't know which is right. He has a very good frame(6'6", 240lbs.) and easy arm action. It didn't even look like he was trying in the video and he was hitting 90-91mph. So you would think like the report says he can turn it up more. Little bit of a side-arm action. Otherwise very calm, fluid motion. Secondary stuff according to scouting report needs some work. Fastball moves and sinks well and for strikes.

Travis d'Arnaud, C Lakewood HS
- Travis seems like a typical Met pick if you have watch their drafting the past few years. They love taking defensive oriented catchers early in the draft. And Travis is definitely in that mold, but for once he's still developing and in high school. So there is hope his offense will come, they project him as a 10-15 HR type guy. Video wasn't working on him so I only read the reports. Seems like he is a dominant defensive presence right now behind the plate. Is committed to Pepperdine.

Jordan Zimmerman, RHP, Univ. Wisconsin Stevens Point
- Crazy video of this kid pitching in a snow storm! Apparently also broke his jaw this year off a liner but came back quickly. Tough kid. Fastball is best and most developed pitch sitting 90-92mph, secondary stuff needs more work as well. According to scouting report only projects as back of rotation guy.

Tony Thomas, 2B, Florida St.
- no report on this kid from mlb.com

David Kopp, RHP, Clemson
- Even though this kid is in college and usually those guys are pretty developed he seems to still have room to grow and improve. Throws 92-94mph consistently with fastball and reports say off-speed stuff has a chance to be above average with some more work. They list him at only 195lbs. which you would think means he could add some more weight to his frame and maybe a mph or two, which would make the fastball nasty. His control of the fastball is inconsistent right now. Kopp seems to be a toolsy prospect for a college kid, could be much better with some work or might not make it above A-ball.

Matt Thompson, RHP, Santa Rosa JC
- Seems like all projection with Matt according to the reports. He wasn't drafted last year and spent the year in JC. Scouting reports say he has above average fastball with not much else right now but has a chance to add to average offspeed pitches in the future. Good athlete as well.

John Hinson, SS/2B, AC Reynolds HS
- Only had video on Hinson. Body looked more like a 2B then SS. Good looking athletic build, couldn't tell much else from video.

Michael Taylor, OF, Stanford
- Humongous kid at 6'6", with power potential but it has yet to be really shown. He was a hot name in the draft a few years ago but the commitment to Stanford probably scared teams away. Raw power prospect.

Overall I can't say I came away feeling real great about these selections but the baseball draft is tough to have a strong feeling about in my opinon. Kopp interested me the most as he seems to have plenty of room to grow and improve still. If Poreda has added the mph he could be interesting and D'Arnaud at least is somewhat interesting in that he is still just a high school kid. Otherwise I give their mock draft a C, average at best.