MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:32 pm 
NYFS Staff

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
We also drafted another college catcher last year- I think his name was Howe- who played a bit in either the Appy League or GCL if I'm not mistaken.

Correct. He played 9 games as a catcher and 1 game as a pitcher in the GCL last year.

I'm not sure where his future is - I'd probably say on the mound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:35 pm 
Legend of NYFS

TheRealDeal wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
thudean wrote:
"Jerome Pena also was a high school shortstop, and he played right field and pitched a little last year. This season he went behind the plate for the first time and showed promise. He's athletic back there with a strong arm. A switch-hitter, Pena came on strong late in the season, hitting home runs in both games against Central Arizona in to clinch a berth for Western Nevada in the Junior College World Series. He's committed to Texas Christian but is considered signable."

Link

Drafted him as a 2b, I see a ton of cuts coming as we seemingly have FAR too many middle IF AND catchers now.

Sad but true part of the business of baseball.

Lots of players sitting in Extended waiting to see who they draft and who signs and where assignments are handed out.

Only one's protected are ones we've put money into. Like anything else, if you pay more for it, you want to get your use out of it.

Yeah.

But few of these guys are going to be able to hold onto jobs two years from now....

8)

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:37 pm 
Legend of NYFS

R Nitelight wrote:
TheRealDeal wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
thudean wrote:
"Jerome Pena also was a high school shortstop, and he played right field and pitched a little last year. This season he went behind the plate for the first time and showed promise. He's athletic back there with a strong arm. A switch-hitter, Pena came on strong late in the season, hitting home runs in both games against Central Arizona in to clinch a berth for Western Nevada in the Junior College World Series. He's committed to Texas Christian but is considered signable."

Link

Drafted him as a 2b, I see a ton of cuts coming as we seemingly have FAR too many middle IF AND catchers now.

Lots of players sitting in Extended waiting to see who they draft and who signs and where assignments are handed out.

Only one's protected are ones we've put money into. Like anything else, if you pay more for it, you want to get your use out of it.

Yeah.

But few of these guys are going to be able to hold onto jobs two years from now....

8)

Yeah thats not the case at all with every other team in baseball....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:39 pm 
Rookie

R Nitelight wrote:
TheRealDeal wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
thudean wrote:

Link

Yeah.

8)

My point is that people like Michael Hebert (7th Round) who got 135K is protected over another person who got 4K.

Stegall is another good example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:40 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Metro2007 wrote:
Michael Moras too

Forgot about him.

Who was the SD State kid you mentioned?

Bottom line is, theres no need for late 20's guys with no future to be taking ABs at the lower levels, especially if they're going to hit under .200 there anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:40 pm 
Everyday Player

Metro2007 wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
thudean wrote:

Link

Paniagua, Alen and Arroyo would be the firsts to go if it were my call.

Gotta be able to find ABs for Henriquez and Doyle, and the college kid we took yesterday is probably ticketed for BK, right?

We added Freeman and Glenn (both are expected to sign) plus hopefully we sign Zapata plus Moran (the Hicksville kid we took today).... so thats 4 catchers right there, plus Doyle

We also drafted another college catcher last year- I think his name was Howe- who played a bit in either the Appy League or GCL if I'm not mistaken.

Tyler Howe, we still have that overage kid from SD State ( or some california school) too don't we?

Jordan Abruzzo? Was he cut?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:50 pm 
Legend of NYFS

zr1max wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
thudean wrote:

Link

Paniagua, Alen and Arroyo would be the firsts to go if it were my call.

Gotta be able to find ABs for Henriquez and Doyle, and the college kid we took yesterday is probably ticketed for BK, right?

We added Freeman and Glenn (both are expected to sign) plus hopefully we sign Zapata plus Moran (the Hicksville kid we took today).... so thats 4 catchers right there, plus Doyle

Tyler Howe, we still have that overage kid from SD State ( or some california school) too don't we?

Jordan Abruzzo? Was he cut?

He's still listed in the organization on this site and these guys usually are on the ball but I don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:51 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I asked about Abruzzo last week- Nitey said he had heard shoulder surgery and out for the year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:51 pm 
Veteran Presence

Abruzzo is on the DL and supposedly will be hurt for full year

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:55 pm 
All Star

Charlie Hinojosa was the other catcher we drafted. He also played some 3b in the GCL too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:32 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Quote:
Western Nevada College starting catcher Jerome Pena waited three days but finally heard the call he was waiting for. The New York Mets selected the sophomore in Round 40 of the Major League Baseball draft Thursday.

“It’s very big,” Pena, of Cave Creek, Ariz., said by phone. “It’s what I’ve worked for.”

Pena helped lead his Wildcats baseball team to a third place finish in the NJCAA Division I Baseball World Series last month, and has committed to play next year at college baseball powerhouse Texas Christian University.

“I’m taking this seriously,” Pena said of the draft, but added, “I have a good thing going at TCU, too.” He plans to meet with a New York Mets representative tomorrow, Pena said.

Wildcats Coach DJ Whittemore said he and Jerome were aware that the Mets had an interest in the catcher, who achieved a .989 fielding percentage this year along with 44 hits, including seven home runs and 33 RBIs.

“Jerome has been a great leader for us,” Whittemore said. “We’re really proud of him.”

Link

8)

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:36 pm 
Legend of NYFS

R Nitelight wrote:
Quote:
Western Nevada College starting catcher Jerome Pena waited three days but finally heard the call he was waiting for. The New York Mets selected the sophomore in Round 40 of the Major League Baseball draft Thursday.

“It’s very big,” Pena, of Cave Creek, Ariz., said by phone. “It’s what I’ve worked for.”

Pena helped lead his Wildcats baseball team to a third place finish in the NJCAA Division I Baseball World Series last month, and has committed to play next year at college baseball powerhouse Texas Christian University.

“I’m taking this seriously,” Pena said of the draft, but added, “I have a good thing going at TCU, too.” He plans to meet with a New York Mets representative tomorrow, Pena said.

Wildcats Coach DJ Whittemore said he and Jerome were aware that the Mets had an interest in the catcher, who achieved a .989 fielding percentage this year along with 44 hits, including seven home runs and 33 RBIs.

“Jerome has been a great leader for us,” Whittemore said. “We’re really proud of him.”

Link

8)

Interesting that they call him "catcher" while the Mets took him as a 2b and moved Greene from 2b to CF