Switch to full style
The forum to discuss all things relating to the Rule IV Draft (aka the June Amateur Draft).
Post a reply

Re: 2015 NYM Draft Round 19, Pick 569: RHP Nic Enright

Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:41 pm

ok, this is a pick I can support. May be a difficult sign I assume.

Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:43 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdO8A-im3Q8

https://youtu.be/T0tox7rgbIM

Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:26 am

Enright unleashed a fastball, which smacked into the catcher’s glove. The reading on one gun said 88. Another scout jotted a few words in his spiral notebook.

The crowd of men studying Enright on that day in April was small. On busier days, 25 men wearing the logos of major-league teams came to the Steward School, a small private school in western Henrico, to watch Enright pitch.
------
One form even asked how much money it would take to draft him. Two months ago, Enright wasn’t even a prospect in the draft. Now he was supposed to know how much money he wanted? He left that question blank.

------
Not until recently did he share a figure with scouts. He has declined to make the number public.

Read More Here

Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:41 am

I guess you trust your scouts, but here is where I see this process as so arbitrary. Here's a guy throwing completely over the top, so not a whole lot of deception it doesn't seem, isn't very physical (certainly doesn't *look* the listed 6'3", but in either case, its not like he's got a whole lot of room to fill out), and doesn't have much present velocity. But he's a tough sign and someone we need to pony up for. I guess you're assuming some growth, but if we drafted this guy 3 years from now, we'd be saying "underslot" or "Dillon Gee 2.0?"

I come back to that long form I posted in the draft thread the other day and just can't help but be skeptical as to what we hear about some of these kids and who wants us to hear what and why certain kids are more "wanted" than others.

Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:44 am

MarkJohnson>You wrote:I guess you trust your scouts, but here is where I see this process as so arbitrary. Here's a guy throwing completely over the top, so not a whole lot of deception it doesn't seem, isn't very physical (certainly doesn't *look* the listed 6'3", but in either case, its not like he's got a whole lot of room to fill out), and doesn't have much present velocity. But he's a tough sign and someone we need to pony up for. I guess you're assuming some growth, but if we drafted this guy 3 years from now, we'd be saying "underslot" or "Dillon Gee 2.0?"

I come back to that long form I posted in the draft thread the other day and just can't help but be skeptical as to what we hear about some of these kids and who wants us to hear what and why certain kids are more "wanted" than others.

Can't speak for others but this kid sounds a bit NYFS overrated but in the case of Sixto Torres, a HS lefty at 6'4 220 in the 88+ range is intriguing to me.

Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:50 am

Metro2007 wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:I guess you trust your scouts, but here is where I see this process as so arbitrary. Here's a guy throwing completely over the top, so not a whole lot of deception it doesn't seem, isn't very physical (certainly doesn't *look* the listed 6'3", but in either case, its not like he's got a whole lot of room to fill out), and doesn't have much present velocity. But he's a tough sign and someone we need to pony up for. I guess you're assuming some growth, but if we drafted this guy 3 years from now, we'd be saying "underslot" or "Dillon Gee 2.0?"

Can't speak for others but this kid sounds a bit NYFS overrated but in the case of Sixto Torres, a HS lefty at 6'4 220 in the 88+ range is intriguing to me.

Right - I get that, even if the whole "throws 93!" and then video shows 87-88 is so classic draft "scouting reports." This kid looks like someone we'd poo-poo in a few years, but someone out there got enough people whispering about his potential and all of a sudden its "how much do we have to offer to sign this guy!?"

Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:52 am

In fairness the 87-88 video is from 2014, I don't think it's unreasonable to believe he's in the 89-90 range at minimum and even then 87-88 for a huge lefty is pretty intriguing. More importantly I just mean he's intriguing due to the package being pretty "dreamable".

Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:53 am

Metro2007 wrote:In fairness the 87-88 video is from 2014, I don't think it's unreasonable to believe he's in the 89-90 range at minimum and even then 87-88 for a huge lefty is pretty intriguing. More importantly I just mean he's intriguing due to the package being pretty "dreamable".

He's a righty.

Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:23 am

ilikeike29 wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:In fairness the 87-88 video is from 2014, I don't think it's unreasonable to believe he's in the 89-90 range at minimum and even then 87-88 for a huge lefty is pretty intriguing. More importantly I just mean he's intriguing due to the package being pretty "dreamable".

He's a righty.

I'm talking about Sixto Torres. MJ asked why some were so intrigued by Enright, I explained I'm not sure why but Torres intrigues me more.

Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:53 am

clean, repeatable delivery. excellent mechanics. excellent pitcher's frame. the straight over the top delivery can produce some downward plane action which can be added deception. and showed some nice movement on the breaking pitches. this is a very good package to work with.

unfortunately, it sounds like he's pretty committed to going to VA Tech.

Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:54 pm

The allure of HS players is that you can dream on them adding 2-3 inches and 20-30 pounds of muscle over 3-4 years. If you take physically maxed out guys... there's much less upside there. Much less alluring.

Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:43 am

tejdog1 wrote:The allure of HS players is that you can dream on them adding 2-3 inches and 20-30 pounds of muscle over 3-4 years. If you take physically maxed out guys... there's much less upside there. Much less alluring.

How many people really grow 2-3 inches after their 18th/19th birthdays? Maybe it happens sometimes, but I don't think thats normal. I don't think i've grown since I was 14/15.

If you look at this kid physically, you see projection?
Post a reply