MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: 2016 Mock Drafts
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:17 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Practically A Wilpon

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:21 pm
Posts: 9517
http://www.draftutopia.com/2016mlbmockdraft.html

http://www.fueledbysports.com/2016-mlb-mock-draft/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Mock Drafts
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:12 am 
User avatar
Offline
Practically A Wilpon

Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:52 pm
Posts: 9255
I'd like to stock up on arms.

Alex Speas is a name to watch.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Mock Drafts
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:22 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Practically A Wilpon

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:21 pm
Posts: 9517
I like going with the Best available always but we will have two pick in the first.

I can see the Mets stocking up on arms as well but if there is an superb everyday player it would be nice


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Mock Drafts
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:28 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Practically A Wilpon

Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:52 pm
Posts: 9255
Kiley McDaniel on Speas

Quote:
27. Alex Speas (18.3), RHP, McEachern HS (GA), Mississippi State commit: I tweeted excitedly when I ran into Speas last week that he hit 97 mph when facing a high school team loaded with two top-five round 2015 draft hitters. Speas is rail-thin and likely doesn’t add much weight to his 6’5/170 frame, but 92-96, hitting 97 mph with an flashes of an above average hard curveball and enough athleticism (he hit 2 homers in that game) to figure out the command later is a very good place to start.


He lit up the Mets Baseball Classic.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Mock Drafts
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:56 am 
User avatar
Offline
Practically A Wilpon

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:21 pm
Posts: 9517
ilikeike29 wrote:
Kiley McDaniel on Speas

Quote:
27. Alex Speas (18.3), RHP, McEachern HS (GA), Mississippi State commit: I tweeted excitedly when I ran into Speas last week that he hit 97 mph when facing a high school team loaded with two top-five round 2015 draft hitters. Speas is rail-thin and likely doesn’t add much weight to his 6’5/170 frame, but 92-96, hitting 97 mph with an flashes of an above average hard curveball and enough athleticism (he hit 2 homers in that game) to figure out the command later is a very good place to start.


He lit up the Mets Baseball Classic.


Good thing we get 2 picks =D>


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Mock Drafts
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:05 am 
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 11628
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
IlikeIKE wrote:
http://www.draftutopia.com/2016mlbmockdraft.html

http://www.fueledbysports.com/2016-mlb-mock-draft/


I kind of like Willie Abreu, who they're currently lined up with in the 2nd mock. A lot can change between now and then, but he looks interesting. Right fielder with power.

_________________
http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com

and, I've always loved a good underdog story. Go Mets (2018).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Mock Drafts
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:22 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm
Posts: 59177
IlikeIKE wrote:
I like going with the Best available always but we will have two pick in the first.



Ehh, I prefer they pick somebody who they think is not quite as good as other guys left on the board. Maybe I'm just quirky like that though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Mock Drafts
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:15 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:55 am
Posts: 8275
We've had good luck with compensation picks coming off a World Series:

David Wright (& Heilman) as comp for losing Mike Hampton after the 2000 WS.

Todd Hundley as comp for losing Ray Knight after the 1986 WS.


This draft is said to be very good and deep. But not top heavy, which is good for us as we will pick in the 19-21 range and may not be getting a prospect much different from the Phils and Braves.

_________________
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:


"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Mock Drafts
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:12 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Practically A Wilpon

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:21 pm
Posts: 9517
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
IlikeIKE wrote:
I like going with the Best available always but we will have two pick in the first.



Ehh, I prefer they pick somebody who they think is not quite as good as other guys left on the board. Maybe I'm just quirky like that though.


Well isn't that what the Mets do


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Mock Drafts
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:43 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm
Posts: 59177
IlikeIKE wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
IlikeIKE wrote:
I like going with the Best available always but we will have two pick in the first.



Ehh, I prefer they pick somebody who they think is not quite as good as other guys left on the board. Maybe I'm just quirky like that though.


Well isn't that what the Mets do


I'm pretty sure the Mets pick the guy they believe is the best player available.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Mock Drafts
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:11 am 
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 11628
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

I'm pretty sure the Mets pick the guy they believe is the best player available.


There are times when teams don't, like for signability reasons or to fill a need or save money for a later round. Not done so much in the first pick but has been done with the 2nd pick fairly often by (those who shall not be named).

Andrew Church, 1 pick before first round talent Austin Wilson. The mets might not have talked to Wilson figuring he wasn't who they wanted at 11 and he wouldn't be around at or would be too expensive at 48, but clearly, nobody would have ranked Church ahead of Wilson. I'm not sure what the mets saw in Church, maybe they saw someone who'd not pitched much in HS and with that in mind, would get better. Hasn't worked out that way so far.

Kevin Plawecki, when he was drafted EVERYBODY cried too soon. Me, I didn't care cause he was a catcher, but arguably they went need over "best player" with that pick. Now, I've always liked Plaw but he was drafted ahead of Stephen Piscotty who had a nice little rookie half season last year hitting .305 with a 129 OPS+ and Joey (top 10 prospect in some lists) Gallo. . . . OK, I shouldn't look at the draft through hindsight glasses, cause that isn't fair, but everybody said "it was too early" for Plaw, except me who said "I like it cause he would have been gone if we didn't take him at 35" but there were guys who we might rather have on the team right now, like Gallo or Piscotty. Best player? No, but unlike Church, I think Plaw was still a good pick but probably not the best player available.

Soooooo . . . there's no guarantee the mets will draft the "best player" with picks 21 & 31. There might be a guy they like who they can underslot, there might be a guy who won't talk to them cause he likes another team better and has a deal worked out.

I'm going to make a crazy prediction that the mets slip their #64 pick into the #65 pick next year. They draft somebody unsignable. Just a guess.

_________________
http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com

and, I've always loved a good underdog story. Go Mets (2018).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Mock Drafts
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:30 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:55 am
Posts: 8275
http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016/?list=draft

_________________
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:


"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


SUPPORT NYFS VIA OUR NETWORK OF SITES: FIND AN AA MEETING | FIND A JOB NEAR YOU | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | HOME REPAIR CONTRACTOR BUILDER AC HEAT | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT AND RESOURCES | THE SOULCIALISTS LIVE LOCAL PIANO MUSIC TREASURE COAST | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT NEAR YOU | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GOLF BEACH RESORT HOTELS RESTAURANTS BED BREAKFAST | HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | METRO BUS TRAIN SUBWAY AIRPORT HELIPORT | VETERAN TIPS CRAFT DIY RECIPES | ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS NEAR YOU | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL HEALTHY HEART DIABETIC RESTAURANTS AND STORES | CHURCH TEMPLE MOSQUE OR PLACE OF WORSHIP NEAR YOU | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB | SUICIDE HOTLINE DANIELLE COLBERT PHOTO MUG SHOT | © Untraditional Media

The%20Soulcialists