MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Mets Draft, Round 01, Pick 31: LHP Anthony Kay
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:59 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

JrMan wrote:
Really hope he's underslot

even if he isn't, its a good pick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:02 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

It'sOuttaHere wrote:
So 2 college pitchers drafted a little bit ahead of where they were projected. Might be able to save a bit on both and go big in rounds 2-3

Actually this guy fell to the Mets according to Law

Practically A Wilpon

It'sOuttaHere wrote:
So 2 college pitchers drafted a little bit ahead of where they were projected. Might be able to save a bit on both and go big in rounds 2-3

This wasn't ahead of where Dunn was projected.

NYFS Staff

Welp...........

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:03 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Dislike this pick.

The Wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:04 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Again, hard time believing he was best player available

I honestly don't care about winning or losing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:05 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

@AdamRubinESPN:Steven Matz told me a great story about Anthony Kay the other day, then came up to me later and asked me not to use it. :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:05 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

Ralf wrote:

I think we probably had a deal here in advance to save money.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:07 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

ilikeike29 wrote:
Ralf wrote:

I think we probably had a deal here in advance to save money.

He is still a good pick. a lefty that throws 92-93 that can get up to 95 with a feel for pitching

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:08 pm 
Franchise Player

I think it's a good pick. Lefty who can hit 95 with a good change. Confident the Mets can help him develop his breaking stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:08 pm 
Prospect

Terrific writeup by Hudson Bellinsky at BA: http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/ ... yKjTooF.97

After pitching well for USA Baseball’s Collegiate National Team last summer, Kay has shown more stable velocity this spring, and on Friday his fastball was explosive in the first few innings, showing arm-side run when he located it away from righthanded hitters, and flashing cut when he went inside with it. Kay sat mostly at 93-94 for much of the outing, touching 95 multiple times on at least one radar gun in the first inning. UConn coach Jim Penders was very pleased with his ace’s performance.

“His fastball location was just excellent. He was executing in and out and we weren’t getting the high strikes,” Penders said. “I thought he did a good job adjusting to the umpire’s zone. I thought he was pretty consistent.”

For the first five innings, Kay had plus fastball command, navigating the bottom of the strike zone well, with his torso getting over his front side well. When he commands his fastball, he’s going to be difficult for any hitter to square up, especially when his changeup works as well as it did against Tulane.

The 6-foot, 187-pound Kay said he’s been throwing a changeup since he was 12 or 13 years old, learning the pitch from Neal Heaton, a former University of Miami and big league all-star lefthander who amassed more than 1,500 innings over a dozen seasons in the majors. Heaton has a reputation as one of the best pitching gurus in the Northeast, working with amateur pitchers in Long Island, where Kay is from.

“It’s usually one of my best pitches, so I kind of go to it a lot,” Kay said of his change. “When it’s on, I usually have a pretty good game.”

The changeup was on for Kay on Friday. He threw it early and often, locating it down and to both sides of the strike zone against righthanded hitters. The pitch shows late fading action at times, while it shows more tumble and arm-side run at others. It was a plus pitch for Kay against Tulane, generating swings and misses often, and inducing poor contact when hitters did manage to make contact with it.

Kay has a tendency to throw his changeup through a slightly lower arm slot, a mechanism that adds to the pitch’s natural sinking action but also can telegraph the offering. While collegiate—and lower level minor league—hitters struggle to recognize these kinds of differences, big league hitters may sniff out the pitch.

The lefthander’s arm action is consistent for his fastball and curveball, with his arm extending fully as he loads up in the back and finds his arm slot. With his changeup, Kay extends his arm through release, reducing the length of the lever and producing less torque. When shaking Kay’s hand after the game, his thick fingers stood out—they allow him to cover more surface area on the baseball. His reduction in torque, as well as his firm grip around the ball, allow Kay to take significant velocity off the pitch; his changeup sat mostly at 83-85 mph, once checking in at 86.

Kay’s third pitch, a curveball, also shows potential. Though it is unlikely to warrant plus projections from scouts, it does show sharp spinning action, and Kay could improve the pitch as he matures. According to Penders, the pitch has taken strides in the right direction during Kay’s time with the Huskies.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:15 pm 
Rookie

Not only do I like the two prospects, but I like the idea of going pitching with these two picks(especially college arms - one with big upside and one relatively "safe"). Regardless of what the MLB team needs at this moment, the Mets have been going offense early ever since taking Harvey in '10. It was time to restock some arms, and they've completely revamped that area of the system in a matter of a few hours.

I'm a fan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next