MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Mets Draft, Round 03, Pick 100: 3b Blake Tiberi
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:32 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:11 am
Posts: 21069
Location: NYC
IlikeIKE wrote:
thudean wrote:
John Manuel (of BA) on Blake Tiberi:

Quote:
The main thing for him is he’s a left-handed power bat, and you’re really buying the bat, and it’s a matter of, do you think he can play third base? I guess it’s more of an all-field bat than a power bat. He hit in the Cape (Cod League) last summer, and he has enough home run power, you wonder if those type of guys will develop more home run power over the course of their career. He’s a bigger guy. You wonder if he has the requisite athleticism and agility for big league third base. That’s the profile of a Scott Rolen, Adrian Beltre, Evan Longoria. You think about playoff third basemen and the profiles of those guys, and you’re looking at Tiberi, and you’re like, he’s going to have to step up his game to be a third baseman long term if you compare him to the athletic ability of some of these other guys – Kris Bryant, Anthony Rendon – who are premier athletes. Maybe he’s more like a Travis Shaw, who’s playing third base for the Red Sox right now and really has some pop.


Link to Article



I don't know but that seems like a good scouting report so there is one wh SAYS it

Square peg meet round hole. Seriously, you could mark it down that they weight contact ability above all else and maybe that is a good indicator of ML aptitude, but they always draft these guys with defensive issues. If you start off with guys who can play defensive or who play higher on the defensive spectrum, if their hitting develops, then you have value. Thing is that defense is a lot about athleticism and that's hard to teach. I think hitting may be more teachable/developable than playing defense.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Mets Draft, Round 03, Pick 100: 3b Blake Tiberi
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:35 pm 
Offline
Fan Favorite

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:52 pm
Posts: 1507
Location: New York, NY
HeyNowHK wrote:
Square peg meet round hole. Seriously, you could mark it down that they weight contact ability above all else and maybe that is a good indicator of ML aptitude, but they always draft these guys with defensive issues. If you start off with guys who can play defensive or who play higher on the defensive spectrum, if their hitting develops, then you have value. Thing is that defense is a lot about athleticism and that's hard to teach. I think hitting may be more teachable/developable than playing defense.


Everyone is trying to find the next Arenado, who turned himself from a bumbling 3B to one of the best in baseball. Smartest man in the room syndrome that they can find the next outlier.

_________________
Rationality reigns supreme


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Mets Draft, Round 03, Pick 100: 3b Blake Tiberi
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:39 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm
Posts: 59177
If you've watched the Met offense this year, I think one thing that is abundantly clear is that we do not rate contact ability above all else.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Mets Draft, Round 03, Pick 100: 3b Blake Tiberi
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:39 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm
Posts: 59177
Hojo4Life wrote:
I forget who said it yesterday on the broadcast, but I believe they said something along the lines of, us as fans can't really imagine how small a difference there is between a 2nd rd grade in the MLB draft and a 5th round grade. So I wouldn't get to caught up in what round grade someone is really given.


Alex Nelson talks about this every year.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Mets Draft, Round 03, Pick 100: 3b Blake Tiberi
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:42 pm 
Offline
Prospect

Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:24 am
Posts: 193
thudean wrote:
Your assumption of a "5th round grade" is inaccurate. Yes, he's ranked 157 overall by BA, but BA has multiple editors, of which Manuel is one. Manuel, personally, could have liked him way more than others.

Second, I'm not sure how the grade provides context. The original point was that the scouting report showed potential for future growth. Whether he has a first or fifth round grade shouldn't matter to that point.

Thus, from that perspective, your statement suggested that we cannot consider having a positive outlook on this player's future because he has a fifth round grade. There, now you have context of my "reading comprehension issues."


John Manuel is the editor-in-chief of BA, and all you're doing is making your own inaccurate assumption that Manuel "could have liked him way more than others." People can say wonderful things about someone they think is a good 20th round pick, but you have to weigh those comments in light of the overall grade they put on a player. I never said "we cannot consider having a positive outlook on this player's future"--I say those comments came with a 5th round grade though (as in we have to take everything in context). You jumped to the stupid hyperbole that it was a death sentence. Just stop.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Mets Draft, Round 03, Pick 100: 3b Blake Tiberi
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:42 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:11 am
Posts: 21069
Location: NYC
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
If you've watched the Met offense this year, I think one thing that is abundantly clear is that we do not rate contact ability above all else.

bc these contact hitting square pegs aren't getting to the majors.

thnx for reinforcing my point.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Mets Draft, Round 03, Pick 100: 3b Blake Tiberi
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:48 pm 
Offline
Fan Favorite

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:52 pm
Posts: 1507
Location: New York, NY
JrMan wrote:
thudean wrote:
Your assumption of a "5th round grade" is inaccurate. Yes, he's ranked 157 overall by BA, but BA has multiple editors, of which Manuel is one. Manuel, personally, could have liked him way more than others.

Second, I'm not sure how the grade provides context. The original point was that the scouting report showed potential for future growth. Whether he has a first or fifth round grade shouldn't matter to that point.

Thus, from that perspective, your statement suggested that we cannot consider having a positive outlook on this player's future because he has a fifth round grade. There, now you have context of my "reading comprehension issues."


John Manuel is the editor-in-chief of BA, and all you're doing is making your own inaccurate assumption that Manuel "could have liked him way more than others." People can say wonderful things about someone they think is a good 20th round pick, but you have to weigh those comments in light of the overall grade they put on a player. I never said "we cannot consider having a positive outlook on this player's future"--I say those comments came with a 5th round grade though (as in we have to take everything in context). You jumped to the stupid hyperbole that it was a death sentence. Just stop.


In context, that's the only interpretation I have and had. So, while I appreciate your disagreement, I still don't see how the grade matters in the context of the point that was being made.

Substantively, Tiberi is a redshirt college soph who has one decent college season and two significantly better cape showings. Who is the real Blake Tiberi?

_________________
Rationality reigns supreme


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Mets Draft, Round 03, Pick 100: 3b Blake Tiberi
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:10 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Practically A Wilpon

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:21 pm
Posts: 9517
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Hojo4Life wrote:
I forget who said it yesterday on the broadcast, but I believe they said something along the lines of, us as fans can't really imagine how small a difference there is between a 2nd rd grade in the MLB draft and a 5th round grade. So I wouldn't get to caught up in what round grade someone is really given.


Alex Nelson talks about this every year.

=D>


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Mets Draft, Round 03, Pick 100: 3b Blake Tiberi
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:54 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Practically A Wilpon

Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:52 pm
Posts: 9255
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-top- ... e-stats-9/

Ranks as the #6 hitter in the ACC.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Mets Draft, Round 03, Pick 100: 3b Blake Tiberi
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:08 pm 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Hall of Famer

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:04 am
Posts: 5580
ilikeike29 wrote:
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-top-college-players-by-maybe-predictive-stats-9/

Ranks as the #6 hitter in the ACC.


Good find on that article, pretty interesting. By those predictive measures he looks very good, right behind KLaw's top overall player Corey Ray.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Mets Draft, Round 03, Pick 100: 3b Blake Tiberi
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:53 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Practically A Wilpon

Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:52 pm
Posts: 9255
https://twitter.com/tanous_tom/status/7 ... 9909797891

Tiberi will be playing third base.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Mets Draft, Round 03, Pick 100: 3b Blake Tiberi
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:58 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Practically A Wilpon

Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:52 pm
Posts: 9255
More Tanous on Tiberi, per Rubin.

Quote:
"We got to see Louisville probably more than any other team for various reasons," Tanous said. "They play in a great conference, so we were always matching them up against other players. They had, I'm guessing, four to five draft picks this year. ... Tiberi was probably the most consistent hitter on the team, or certainly one of them. The fact that he's a left-handed hitter with some power really was attractive to us there. He's going to fit right into our system. He's a low-strikeout guy. And he's an on-base percentage guy, with some power. He hit a ton of doubles this year."


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


SUPPORT NYFS VIA OUR NETWORK OF SITES: FIND AN AA MEETING | FIND A JOB NEAR YOU | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | HOME REPAIR CONTRACTOR BUILDER AC HEAT | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT AND RESOURCES | THE SOULCIALISTS LIVE LOCAL PIANO MUSIC TREASURE COAST | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT NEAR YOU | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GOLF BEACH RESORT HOTELS RESTAURANTS BED BREAKFAST | HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | METRO BUS TRAIN SUBWAY AIRPORT HELIPORT | VETERAN TIPS CRAFT DIY RECIPES | ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS NEAR YOU | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL HEALTHY HEART DIABETIC RESTAURANTS AND STORES | CHURCH TEMPLE MOSQUE OR PLACE OF WORSHIP NEAR YOU | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB | SUICIDE HOTLINE DANIELLE COLBERT PHOTO MUG SHOT | © Untraditional Media

The%20Soulcialists