MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 52  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 2017 DRAFT!!!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:37 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:57 pm
Posts: 80768
Location: New York, NY
Daaaarryyl wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
Queens kid.


Metro, is it me, or are we seeing a lot of area kids (NY/LI/NJ/Conn etc.) the past decade+ that are really good baseball prospects compared to past decades?

There wasn't much to get excited about around here IIRC, other than Manny which was 27 yrs ago now and the occasional Johnnie (or maybe Seton Hall kid) that became a good pro.


But in the recent past there have been tons on blue chip baseball prospects from the greater NY area.

Or at least it seems that way to me...


There does seem to be more of an emphasis on the cold weather/north east over the past 5-10 years. I'm sure someone has an explanation for it that I can't come up with. Maybe simply realizing that it's been underscouted.

_________________
Twit-@Wexlerrules
Staunch anti-BADP (Batting average dependent players)
Pronounced "Dar-No"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 DRAFT!!!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:05 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Practically A Wilpon

Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:52 pm
Posts: 9255
Nick Storz is another intriguing local kid this year.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 DRAFT!!!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:54 am 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:27 pm
Posts: 23483
Tommy Tanous flew from Charlotte to Boston on Saturday night.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 DRAFT!!!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:40 am 
User avatar
Offline
Practically A Wilpon

Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:52 pm
Posts: 9255
sluger11787 wrote:
Tommy Tanous flew from Charlotte to Boston on Saturday night.

Haha, saw that a couple hours ago and figured someone would post it here.

There's 3 potential first round prospects at UNC plus MacKenzie Gore is from NC.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 DRAFT!!!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:54 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 23737
Location: Pittsburgh
Metro2007 wrote:
Daaaarryyl wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
Queens kid.


Metro, is it me, or are we seeing a lot of area kids (NY/LI/NJ/Conn etc.) the past decade+ that are really good baseball prospects compared to past decades?

There wasn't much to get excited about around here IIRC, other than Manny which was 27 yrs ago now and the occasional Johnnie (or maybe Seton Hall kid) that became a good pro.


But in the recent past there have been tons on blue chip baseball prospects from the greater NY area.

Or at least it seems that way to me...


There does seem to be more of an emphasis on the cold weather/north east over the past 5-10 years. I'm sure someone has an explanation for it that I can't come up with. Maybe simply realizing that it's been underscouted.


I have to wonder whether the shorter winters we've experienced in recent years have anything to do with it.

_________________
Baseball has a way of ripping your ❤️ out, stabbing it, putting it back in your chest, then healing itself just in time for Spring Training. - Thor


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 DRAFT!!!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:19 pm 
Offline
Blue Chipper

Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:16 pm
Posts: 476
sluger11787 wrote:
Tommy Tanous flew from Charlotte to Boston on Saturday night.


Warmoth had a good weekend.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 DRAFT!!!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:36 pm 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:27 pm
Posts: 23483
ilikeike29 wrote:
sluger11787 wrote:
Tommy Tanous flew from Charlotte to Boston on Saturday night.

Haha, saw that a couple hours ago and figured someone would post it here.

There's 3 potential first round prospects at UNC plus MacKenzie Gore is from NC.


If you were going to UNC you'd fly into RDU, not Charlotte.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 DRAFT!!!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:21 pm 
Offline
Blue Chipper

Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:44 pm
Posts: 462
Vientos and Burger remain realistic and interesting targets on the left side. Vientos seems our type of asset, and is growing on me. Potential hit-first player with longterm power to gradually grow into, who sounds like he has been making strides in convincing people he can stay at SS for a few years of a Big League career. Also appears to be winning the war of attrition by steadily performing from last summer through this spring. Unless he completely busts, a Wilmer-like floor isn't bad, with a lot more left in the tank to dream on. Big upside, and continues our strategy of stocking middle infielders and letting things work themselves out.

Burger I've also warmed on... didn't hurt watching him crush a ball last night against Mizzou. I didn't see the whole game, so no individual plays really stick out to me, but overall thought he was bouncier around the bag (and physically slimmer) than I expected.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 DRAFT!!!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:36 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Practically A Wilpon

Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:52 pm
Posts: 9255
Those two and Haseley are top targets for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 DRAFT!!!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:11 pm 
Offline
Blue Chipper

Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:44 pm
Posts: 462
ilikeike29 wrote:
Those two and Haseley are top targets for me.


I'm curious how much Burger's talent might play up on draft day given the team's situation. Still no blue-chip third base prospect anywhere near ready, lack of plus-power within the system, and a large volume of major league ABs that will most likely be moving on over the next two years.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 DRAFT!!!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:41 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Practically A Wilpon

Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:52 pm
Posts: 9255
degromination wrote:
ilikeike29 wrote:
Those two and Haseley are top targets for me.


I'm curious how much Burger's talent might play up on draft day given the team's situation. Still no blue-chip third base prospect anywhere near ready, lack of plus-power within the system, and a large volume of major league ABs that will most likely be moving on over the next two years.

You don't draft for need.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 DRAFT!!!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:11 am 
Offline
Blue Chipper

Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:44 pm
Posts: 462
ilikeike29 wrote:
degromination wrote:
ilikeike29 wrote:
Those two and Haseley are top targets for me.


I'm curious how much Burger's talent might play up on draft day given the team's situation. Still no blue-chip third base prospect anywhere near ready, lack of plus-power within the system, and a large volume of major league ABs that will most likely be moving on over the next two years.

You don't draft for need.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 52  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


SUPPORT NYFS VIA OUR NETWORK OF SITES: FIND AN AA MEETING | FIND A JOB NEAR YOU | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | HOME REPAIR CONTRACTOR BUILDER AC HEAT | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT AND RESOURCES | THE SOULCIALISTS LIVE LOCAL PIANO MUSIC TREASURE COAST | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT NEAR YOU | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GOLF BEACH RESORT HOTELS RESTAURANTS BED BREAKFAST | HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | METRO BUS TRAIN SUBWAY AIRPORT HELIPORT | VETERAN TIPS CRAFT DIY RECIPES | ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS NEAR YOU | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL HEALTHY HEART DIABETIC RESTAURANTS AND STORES | CHURCH TEMPLE MOSQUE OR PLACE OF WORSHIP NEAR YOU | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB | SUICIDE HOTLINE DANIELLE COLBERT PHOTO MUG SHOT | © Untraditional Media

The%20Soulcialists