MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 2017 DRAFT!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:03 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:11 am
Posts: 21116
Location: NYC
ilikeike29 wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Anyone have any grasp on the best of the undrafted yet?

There's a lot of good prep guys that aren't signing.

I meant college players.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 DRAFT!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:10 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:57 pm
Posts: 80768
Location: New York, NY
METS
image: http://www.baseballamerica.com/wp-conte ... mets81.jpg


The Mets have had one of the hardest-throwing rotations in baseball in recent years, but also one of the most injury prone. Oregon LHP David Peterson (1) fits more as a back-end starter who should move quickly. 3B Mark Vientos (2) could grow into a physical monster at the hot corner. RHP Tony Dibrell (4) is an upside play, as he’s more raw than he average college weekend starter.
Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/20 ... q8Ssk3F.99

_________________
Twit-@Wexlerrules
Staunch anti-BADP (Batting average dependent players)
Pronounced "Dar-No"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 DRAFT!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:09 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:55 am
Posts: 8279
MaxV wrote:
No it's not, at all.

There is 40 friggin' rounds and you walk away with 2 prospects.

How is this in any shape or form a 'B' draft?

D. My grade. And that's with an assumption that they'll sign a couple of Day 3 prep guys (most of whom are old enough to be JUCO btw).


Think of it as the NFL draft-

They traded their 2nd and 3rd and 4th rounders for another 1st.

(Not even sure the points would add up for a 1st rounder using Jimmy Johnson's point tier system-but you get the point)

With the rules in place many teams do this.

Or they overdraft early and use their pool money later, which would be like an NFL team trading their 1st for extra picks later.

With these rules the past 5 years teams need to make these tough decisions.

_________________
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:


"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 DRAFT!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:01 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:59 pm
Posts: 8128
Location: Land of the Nats and Redskins
I read in Klaw's chat the Rays might are going to let McKay try his hand in the field and on the bump. That's interesting. Usually you see a transition one way or another, not both at the same time.

Some Mets stuff as well. Likes Pederson more than Kay. Seems to like Vientos.

Quote:
Bill: Jim Callis threw around a rumor of the Rays letting Mckay try to pitch and hit. Lets say the experiment works and he does play both relatively well. What would that most likely look like? DH/RP, 1b/RP, or some combo of DH/1b/SP with more days off than a typical position player?
Keith Law: I tweeted yesterday that the Rays WILL let him do both. It’s not a rumor; he’ll be developed both ways, probably starting next year. My guess is that he plays 1b 3x a week and gets some rest by DHing the day before he pitches.


http://meadowparty.com/blog/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 DRAFT!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:51 pm 
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 11665
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
Daaaarryyl wrote:
MaxV wrote:
No it's not, at all.

There is 40 friggin' rounds and you walk away with 2 prospects.

How is this in any shape or form a 'B' draft?

D. My grade. And that's with an assumption that they'll sign a couple of Day 3 prep guys (most of whom are old enough to be JUCO btw).


Think of it as the NFL draft-

They traded their 2nd and 3rd and 4th rounders for another 1st.

(Not even sure the points would add up for a 1st rounder using Jimmy Johnson's point tier system-but you get the point)

With the rules in place many teams do this.

Or they overdraft early and use their pool money later, which would be like an NFL team trading their 1st for extra picks later.

With these rules the past 5 years teams need to make these tough decisions.


NFL draft is a fair comp.

Another way to look at it, instead of picks look at money.

Mets had about 6 million to spend.

3 - on a first round pick
1.1 on a second round pick
then a 3,4,5 etc, down the line - total another 2 million give or take. 6 million total.

They got 2 first rounders. Did OK rounds 3-6, then cut back on the late day 2 and prep guys in day 3. It's a perfectly valid approach.

I won't grade the draft until guys are signed, but if I was to guess, I think the mets are happy with how the draft worked out.

_________________
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Dom Hélder Câmara

I've always loved a good underdog story. Go Mets (2018). I know an underdog when I see one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 DRAFT!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:49 pm 
User avatar
Offline
General Manager

Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:03 pm
Posts: 7223
Has anyone done a team by team grading/breakdown/discussion of the draft yet?

_________________
Escaped from Elba.
Original drummer for the Wilpons Are Cheap.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 DRAFT!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:40 pm 
Offline
Blue Chipper

Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:44 pm
Posts: 462
Ralf wrote:
Has anyone done a team by team grading/breakdown/discussion of the draft yet?


Real breakdowns are tough til signings. I think Callis did his top five, but I didn't think it was all that insightful. Also think Law dislikes the Yankee draft heavily


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 DRAFT!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:03 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Practically A Wilpon

Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:52 pm
Posts: 9255
degromination wrote:
Ralf wrote:
Has anyone done a team by team grading/breakdown/discussion of the draft yet?


Real breakdowns are tough til signings. I think Callis did his top five, but I didn't think it was all that insightful. Also think Law dislikes the Yankee draft heavily

I disagree with any top five that leaves out Oakland.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 DRAFT!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:08 am 
Offline
Blue Chipper

Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:44 pm
Posts: 462
ilikeike29 wrote:
degromination wrote:
Ralf wrote:
Has anyone done a team by team grading/breakdown/discussion of the draft yet?


Real breakdowns are tough til signings. I think Callis did his top five, but I didn't think it was all that insightful. Also think Law dislikes the Yankee draft heavily

I disagree with any top five that leaves out Oakland.


Very good draft, and I probably agree with you, but I'm curious about whatever the hell happened with Nick Allen. Haven't searched for anything, but I do wonder if he might be this year's highest drafted player to not sign.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 DRAFT!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:35 am 
User avatar
Offline
Practically A Wilpon

Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:52 pm
Posts: 9255
Who says he's not signing?

I don't think Oakland would have popped him in the third round without believing they will sign him.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 DRAFT!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:49 am 
Offline
Blue Chipper

Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:44 pm
Posts: 462
ilikeike29 wrote:
Who says he's not signing?

I don't think Oakland would have popped him in the third round without believing they will sign him.


Oh nobody that I've heard, I just think that was quite the unexpected drop. Should he sign, and he probably will, that's one hell of an up the middle group all in one draft.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 DRAFT!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:30 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:12 pm
Posts: 38272
Location: Panic City
White Sox signed Jake Burger for around $400K under slot.


8)

_________________
Whatever.

8)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


SUPPORT NYFS VIA OUR NETWORK OF SITES: FIND AN AA MEETING | FIND A JOB NEAR YOU | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | HOME REPAIR CONTRACTOR BUILDER AC HEAT | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT AND RESOURCES | THE SOULCIALISTS LIVE LOCAL PIANO MUSIC TREASURE COAST | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT NEAR YOU | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GOLF BEACH RESORT HOTELS RESTAURANTS BED BREAKFAST | HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | METRO BUS TRAIN SUBWAY AIRPORT HELIPORT | VETERAN TIPS CRAFT DIY RECIPES | ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS NEAR YOU | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL HEALTHY HEART DIABETIC RESTAURANTS AND STORES | CHURCH TEMPLE MOSQUE OR PLACE OF WORSHIP NEAR YOU | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB | SUICIDE HOTLINE DANIELLE COLBERT PHOTO MUG SHOT | © Untraditional Media

The%20Soulcialists