MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 2017 NYM Draft: Round 09, Pick 277 RHP Cannon Chadwick
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:40 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Practically A Wilpon

Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:52 pm
Posts: 9255
LTKfRGM wrote:
R Nitelight wrote:
piazzafan wrote:
Eventually there's going to be a team that's going to use the strategy of just selecting the best player available in all 40 rounds and they are going to use the strategy of "if your professional career is delayed because your greedy it's not our problem". I really don't see the strategy of drafting a player that you know has no shot of making the majors. I would much rather draft a player that a had a very slim chance of signing but has a legit shot at making the majors one day.


I know it's ridiculous, but I love the idea of ignoring the rules by picking the 40 best players and paying them.

Then the next year when they penalize you for that you do the exact same thing in the International market.

Then when they penalize you Internationally you come back to the Draft.

Rise. Repeat. It cuts into your development every other year, but you wind up with nothing but high end talent.


8)


You lose 2 first round picks for going 10% over. So if you did that approach once, you sacrifice 2 first rounders over the next 2 years. It still might work, but the team would be paying a 100% tax on every dollar over and lose 2 first rounders. The fact that no team has done it (and like 8 teams have done the max penalty on the international signing period), suggests to me that teams don't see the go way over budget on the draft is a good approach.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... leid=28793


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 NYM Draft: Round 09, Pick 277 RHP Cannon Chadwick
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:50 pm 
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 11627
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
ilikeike29 wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:


You lose 2 first round picks for going 10% over. So if you did that approach once, you sacrifice 2 first rounders over the next 2 years. It still might work, but the team would be paying a 100% tax on every dollar over and lose 2 first rounders. The fact that no team has done it (and like 8 teams have done the max penalty on the international signing period), suggests to me that teams don't see the go way over budget on the draft is a good approach.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... leid=28793


That's kinda long. Solid article from what I've read, but if it was in response to me, did I miss something in particular?

_________________
http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com

and, I've always loved a good underdog story. Go Mets (2018).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 NYM Draft: Round 09, Pick 277 RHP Cannon Chadwick
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:36 pm 
User avatar
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:57 pm
Posts: 80752
Location: New York, NY
Jacob Resnick‏ @Jacob_Resnick 55m55 minutes ago
More
Add another one to the list, #Mets ninth round pick Cannon Chadwick will sign with the team.

_________________
Twit-@Wexlerrules
Staunch anti-BADP (Batting average dependent players)
Pronounced "Dar-No"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 NYM Draft: Round 09, Pick 277 RHP Cannon Chadwick
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:34 pm 
Offline
Fan Favorite

Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:14 am
Posts: 1721
ilikeike29 wrote:
piazzafan wrote:
Eventually there's going to be a team that's going to use the strategy of just selecting the best player available in all 40 rounds and they are going to use the strategy of "if your professional career is delayed because your greedy it's not our problem". I really don't see the strategy of drafting a player that you know has no shot of making the majors. I would much rather draft a player that a had a very slim chance of signing but has a legit shot at making the majors one day.

I disagree with basically every single sentence here.


I think you are misunderstanding what I meant. I think the Mets should draft best available player in every round and sign whoever they can up to their budget limit. Granted you would only be able to sign around 10 guys. You would then fill up your minor leagues with Free agents and independent ball players. I think it would be interesting to see if you actually end up getting better quality major leaguers that way or the way they are currently doing things which is drafting around 5 guys who have legit shots to make the majors and filling up your minors with right handed college senior pitchers who top out at 90 MPH and really have no shot of getting past AAA (to me that's just a waste, you are better off drafting no one and saving that money for future free agents). Also, by drafting best player available you have the added benefit of keeping the player away from the Nats, Braves, Marlins, Phils and Yankees.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 NYM Draft: Round 09, Pick 277 RHP Cannon Chadwick
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:04 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:55 am
Posts: 8274
piazzafan wrote:
I think you are misunderstanding what I meant. I think the Mets should draft best available player in every round and sign whoever they can up to their budget limit. Granted you would only be able to sign around 10 guys.


But you lose the pool money when you don't sign a player.

_________________
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:


"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 NYM Draft: Round 09, Pick 277 RHP Cannon Chadwick
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:30 am 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:37 am
Posts: 23298
Location: charleston, sc
Decent start. 20 Ks (against 9 BBs) in 14 IP. 11 hits.

_________________
"The most potent weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed." Steven Biko


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


SUPPORT NYFS VIA OUR NETWORK OF SITES: FIND AN AA MEETING | FIND A JOB NEAR YOU | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | HOME REPAIR CONTRACTOR BUILDER AC HEAT | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT AND RESOURCES | THE SOULCIALISTS LIVE LOCAL PIANO MUSIC TREASURE COAST | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT NEAR YOU | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GOLF BEACH RESORT HOTELS RESTAURANTS BED BREAKFAST | HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | METRO BUS TRAIN SUBWAY AIRPORT HELIPORT | VETERAN TIPS CRAFT DIY RECIPES | ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS NEAR YOU | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL HEALTHY HEART DIABETIC RESTAURANTS AND STORES | CHURCH TEMPLE MOSQUE OR PLACE OF WORSHIP NEAR YOU | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB | SUICIDE HOTLINE DANIELLE COLBERT PHOTO MUG SHOT | © Untraditional Media

The%20Soulcialists