MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 786 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 66  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018 DRAFT!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:06 pm 
Legend of NYFS

If Bohm doesn't go in the top 5 picks and the Mets pass to take a prep arm, I will cry and be shocked. LOL.

But seriously, I find it a stretch to see this FO take a prep arm and one like Liberatore. Didn't he seem to be backing up pretty recently. Either way, it's too much risk. This regime has never taken a prep arm that high in the draft. They aren't going to do it here.

I could certainly see a college arm going at 6, but again if Bohm is there and they don't grab him, I will be very disappointed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:10 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Tacking on to the last point, if there were a prep arm they were considering/would consider, I think it would be Rocker. He's a power arm that I think they would consider less risky. That's a big arm and a guy with big physicality to match. That's really the only prep arm I see connected to the Mets but that is pure speculation.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:47 pm 
Draft Pick

HeyNowHK wrote:
Tacking on to the last point, if there were a prep arm they were considering/would consider, I think it would be Rocker. He's a power arm that I think they would consider less risky. That's a big arm and a guy with big physicality to match. That's really the only prep arm I see connected to the Mets but that is pure speculation.

I think Rocker has far greater chance of not reaching his potential, he seems like a guy who could end up in the pen.
As far as Bohm Mets would have to be sold that he could stay at third otherwise I agree. Joey Bart as a power hitting catcher, anyone sold?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:00 pm 
Legend of NYFS

corydd7 wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:

I think Rocker has far greater chance of not reaching his potential, he seems like a guy who could end up in the pen.
As far as Bohm Mets would have to be sold that he could stay at third otherwise I agree. Joey Bart as a power hitting catcher, anyone sold?

FG guys seem pretty confident that he's going to stay at 3B. Seems like closest thing to Kris Bryant we'll see in a while.

I'm not sold on Bart's swing and this FO normally looks for low K rate. I'd be surprised if they were on him.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:18 pm 
Everyday Player

Bohm definitely deserves respect, and wouldn't hate that pick either. But I will disagree with the premise that they won't take a prep arm. They may be selective about it, but at some point they can't be blind to the fact that the entire success of the team is based on formerly high-end prep power arms. So far their value picks, and safer college arms later in the first round hasnt lead to suspected future dominant aces. And ours are running out of controllable years.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:31 pm 
Everyday Player

Rocker is a fine mid-first pick, but way too high at our spot, especially as a projected tough sign. More projectable arms have already bumped similar elite velocities, and his holding velocity during the world championships was pretty much even with the other arms on the team, with less command. From what ive seen on tv, and heard from articles, I think he looks better in short looks. His durable body makes me think he can turn the plus fastball and plus slider into a hopefully healthier version of Michael pineda, with a safe floor due to an elite closer, but I'm not sure there aren't a dozen prep pitchers I like better.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:15 pm 
Draft Pick

Is Carter Stewart a guy the Mets would look at? Best curve as a prep pitcher with mid 90's fsb and physical projection. I take Liberatore 10 out of 10 times over any other pither other then Mize.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... -showdown/

I had the weekend wrong but they did face each other on Thursday. Doesn't look like more then one prep bat goes in the top ten. And the one guy who should go is from Wisconsin lol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:37 pm 
Everyday Player

Stewart has been most consistent, and has the double plus hammer that long before he shot up boards I wondered if the Mets would reach for, given their fascination with both Lugo and Szapucki's spin rates. Now that he has bumped high 90's it wouldn't be a reach. That said, I guess he was down a bit across the board the other day too. Which I'm fine with. I'm of the school of thought that scouts are supposed to witness the upside, and coaches are supposed to get them to reach it consistently.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:03 pm 
Blue Chipper

I know you don't pick a guy at #6 based on positional need but catcher Joey Bart could probably start for us now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:56 pm 
Everyday Player

69FOREVER wrote:
I know you don't pick a guy at #6 based on positional need but catcher Joey Bart could probably start for us now.

I like Bart, but he's still on the negative side of the K/BB ratio, and only a year away from a horrendous showing in that department. Catching prospects have been fascinating the past couple years, teams don't seem to be nearly as willing to overdraft them recently. With Banfield being the newest guy to fall on boards, despite being able to handle a big league staff at 19 or 20

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:24 pm 
Everyday Player

Still a lot of time left, but with more mocks elevating the top three or four college players to the top, might be especially important to keep an eye on underrated "safer" players that could be available if we go pure upside the first couple picks (prior to our 6-10 run on senior relievers). Daniel Lynch seems to fit that mold beautifully. Enough to make you think there's more in there, but also enough blemishes to allow him to slide.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/Vi ... icle=15128

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:48 am 
Legend of NYFS

MLB pipeline top 100 draft list is out.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=draft

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 786 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 66  Next