MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018 NYM Draft: Round 1, Pick 6 CF Jarred Kelenic
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:13 pm 
Veteran Presence

"He's universally considered one of the best pure hitters in the class, with good feel for the strike zone and a mechanically-sound swing that he repeats well."

Sickles

The Far Side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:13 pm 
Draft Pick

The source (fangraphs) that said the Mets had two sides of the room split owner/front office has said the front office won with this pick.

I don't think either side wins any point with this crowd and I don't blame them.

Post subject: Re: 2018 NYM Draft: Round 1, Pick 6 CF Jared Kelenic
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:17 pm 
General Manager

bygranddesign wrote:
He needs to be better than Kotsay

Kotsay had only a couple of good years

With the 6th pick in the draft, you need to get someone with franchise changing upside ... you need a homerun with this pick.

I'm not sure what we got here

There has literally been 1 player picked at #6 in the past 25 years since Jeter that fit that criteria.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draf ... type_unk=0

The #6 spot has been full of disappointments since.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:19 pm 
Veteran Presence

dragonfly wrote:
bygranddesign wrote:

With the 6th pick in the draft, you need to get someone with franchise changing upside ... you need a homerun with this pick.

There has literally been 1 player picked at #6 in the past 25 years since Jeter that fit that criteria.

Time to break the bell curve.

The Far Side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:19 pm 
General Manager

corydd7 wrote:
The source (fangraphs) that said the Mets had two sides of the room split owner/front office has said the front office won with this pick.

I don't think either side wins any point with this crowd and I don't blame them.

I wonder what the owners wanted? I would probably think they would want a college player who would move quickly like Singer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:20 pm 
General Manager

pennst92 wrote:
Just read a bunch of quotes from various scouts and they all like or love the pick - one guy went so far as to say 5 tool upside.

I believe they thew out Grady Sizemore on the MLB Network. Who wouldn't want Grady Sizemore in his short 4 year prime before injuries? I am warming up to this pick - I think my thinning patience had me focused on someone that we would see in as soon as 2 years. Just will have to wait 4-6 here.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:27 pm 
Legend of NYFS

corydd7 wrote:
How about a left handed Lorenzo Cain with a tad drop in defense but a tad up in power. Bat is a plus and if he sticks in center which I think he will, his bat plays up.

Let's be honest, there is tremendous variance in the outcome of this pick. It's literally from fringe MLer (maybe Ryan Church) to something much more if it all comes together like a Benintendi. There's really little basis to predict how much he's going to hit and that's what makes it high variance and similar to Vientos. But Vientos looks like a nice risk to take with a 2nd pick after grabbing Peterson with your 1st rounder.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:30 pm 
NYFS Staff

Paul O'Neill?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:44 pm 
Veteran Presence

There's video of his swing on You Tube, for those interested.

The Far Side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:48 pm 
General Manager

dragonfly wrote:
bygranddesign wrote:

Yeah but i'm sure that most of these kids were signed with the idea that they had tremendous upside.

Zach Wheeler had/has legit top of the roto upside imo. The fact that he hasn't panned out yet is a disappointment but the potential was there.

My point was that if you are picking in the top 10 you should be taking someone who you can dream big on.

If he reached his greatest potential -- Is he a 20+ home run bat? or 30+ homerun bat?
Does he steal 20+ bases a year or is 40+ a year?
Does he stick in CF? If he is a corner OF does he hit enough to be an above average corner?

I don't think I know better than Sandy or the scouting community. I just want to have an understanding of what we are potentially getting before the team shells out 4-5 million

But it sounds like the Mets feel like they hit a homerun with Kelenic. And it sounds like scouts like him.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:35 pm 
Franchise Player

dragonfly wrote:
degromination wrote:
Stop with the Mark Kotsay junk.... no real scouts compare guys to studs because they can't afford to be wrong. This has been going on for decades.

Exactly. I think they may have actually name dropped Grady Sizemore. I'd take Grady Sizemore in his prime any day.

The scouts are pretty much just making some comps based on skill sets. HS guys can develop more or less - if he was a college guy and they were saying Kotsay you might want to be concerned.

Any draft pick that makes the majors is some sort of victory. You're absolutely right about professionals tempering expectations to play it safe.

Kotsay was a good athlete and a good baseball player. He wasn't a superstar, and he only had a few really good seasons, but the skills and abilities we're really good, and he had a lengthy, productive career. And the comments with Kotsay were that this pick is similar but more athletic. That's a big compliment.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:07 am 
Legend of NYFS

dragonfly wrote:
bygranddesign wrote:

I think Greinke makes the cut as a franchise changer, but that's still just two in 25 years.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next