MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: 2018 NYM Draft: Round 3, Pick 83: 2B Carlos Cortes
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:26 pm 
Everyday Player

anotherhoward wrote:
I'm with those who are not overly impressed with the signing. In his two seasons at the University of South Carolina Cortes hit .286 (2017) and .265 (2018).

In 2017 his BA was second highest with those with at least 100 AB, but he had the highest OPS: .933.

In 2018 his BA was seventh highest with those with at least 100 AB, but his OPS was only fifth highest: .885.

The Mets made him a priority signing. What I'd like to know is why.

The kid by himself is a fine 3rd rounder. Has some lightning in the bat, a high-end amateur pedigree, held his own with wood, after a horrendous start did his best work while facing the best competition in the country, and height doesn't mean much anymore.

And over the last 20 years like 8 or 9 hitters have been taken in the third round that have a career WAR of 10 or more, and I believe the majority of those were similarly college hitters with some questionmarks keeping them from being first rounders.

Meanwhile, the money is meaningless because we didn't really draft great HS picks late to spend it on. I think this was a definite choice.

My only disappointment is over the fact we have only been a dangerous offense in recent memory when Cespedes has been healthy and producing, yet this pick just signals a continuation of our direction of "loft-over-everything" approach that has led to a putrid team to watch.

Post subject: Re: 2018 NYM Draft: Round 3, Pick 83: 2B Carlos Cortes
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:26 pm 
NYFS Staff

R Nitelight wrote:
God, I hate to do this.

But Lucas Duda was a pretty terrible college player they saw something in.

8)

Wow. That may have just swung my vote...not because I agree, but because you vomited that out with dignity! Haha.

All jokes aside, my biggest gripe is a short tools college kid in the third round getting 50% over the slot.

And if the reverse jinx of jdawg is anything, then Cortes will be a star.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7