MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Draft!!!
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:19 pm 
Veteran Presence

jdawginsc wrote:
For the first rounders, Manoah and Hunter Bishop are the guys I would target, then if gone, Jung or Lodolo (if against conventional wisdom if available). I worry Thompson is Kay II (not a bad thing as it stands now), but going to be a longer road, methinks.

For some reason, I think Kirby will be the pick.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Second round is intriguing...Quinn Priester might slip, Ethan Small would be really good risk pick, and I think Wallner and Quintana would be good finds.
-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-
If he made it to the second, or third, I'd love to roll the dice on Glennallen Hill Jr...
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
I think Malone, Hampton, Cronin, Hunter Brown might be available at the wrong moments.

As far as lesser known high schoolers I like, I don't think they will go the risk route a la Nimmo.

I'd love Wallner in the 2nd.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:38 pm 
Rookie

Not really too excited about Thompson from a risk/reward standpoint. One on hand, he doesn't have a very high ceiling. On the other, he has an injury history. Like the Kay comp. If we go the college route, I think that the hitters sound a bit better (Jung?).

I gather that it would be nice to have someone like Hampton, Cavaco, or Henderson fall to us in the second judging by their tools and age...

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:46 am 
Rookie

Carter Stewart is heading to Japan which seems to put him out of the 2019 draft. Interesting choice:
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/statu ... 8996737024

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:28 am 
Legend of NYFS

Mayo’s latest has us taking Thompson.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:10 pm 
NYFS Staff

HeyNowHK wrote:
Mayo’s latest has us taking Thompson.

That's a lot of money for a ton of risk.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:43 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

May be a good year to not sign your 1st rounder and get a comp pick next year.

Can't remember being so unimpressed with 1st round write-ups/reports.

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:06 pm 
Everyday Player

Daaaarryyl wrote:
May be a good year to not sign your 1st rounder and get a comp pick next year.

Can't remember being so unimpressed with 1st round write-ups/reports.

There are still plenty of good players, just not nearly as deep in the "future all-stars if everything goes right," types.

Wouldn't break my heart if we gambled and failed to sign a first, but there will be impact guys

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:30 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Mets picks and slot values:

12) Mets: $4,366,400

53) Mets: $1,370,400

89) Mets: $667,900

118) Mets: $487,900

148) Mets: $364,400

178) Mets: $277,100

208) Mets: $216,600

238) Mets: $174,000

268) Mets: $154,600

298) Mets: $145,300

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:08 pm 
Rookie

Keith Law mocks George Kirby to the Mets with the following comment
"Very likely a college guy here too; if Kirby is gone I would bet they take a college bat."

http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_ ... k-draft-20

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:38 am 
Legend of NYFS

I'm not expecting to be smiling going into Day 2 if Carroll is off the Board or if we don't take him, but Kirby is the lesser of many evils.

The trouble is I can't find a Wild Card I like.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:47 pm 
Legend of NYFS

FG's mock 3.0 has us taking UNLV SS Bryson Stott. Has had an impressive career and having a terrific season (you sense a 'but' coming), but I'm not in love with his swing mechanics. Not against taking a college bat but I'm not sure Stott is the one I'd pull the trigger on. The college bats they have going immediately after Stott are Jung, Langeliers and Wilson. My chips are in for Wilson.

They have the Mets taking McConnell in rd 2, which is prob a nice outcome for the 53rd pick. Quickly brushing up, how about Matt Dyer, U of AZ Catcher... lanky at 6'4" and a draft eligible Soph. Or his teammate, IFer Cameron Cannon... looks like one of the better college bats in the class.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:02 pm 
Legend of NYFS

How about a thin system not drafting directly into its strength?

8)

8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 19  Next