Switch to full style
The forum to discuss all things relating to the Rule IV Draft (aka the June Amateur Draft).
Post a reply

2019 Mets Draft Thoughts and Opinions

Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:28 pm

I am liking the draft philosophy so far

Its potentially risky

But if they pull this off -- we would come away with 3 prospects with first round talent plus a few college seniors that seem like nice under the radar picks that might pay off

=D>

Re: 2019 Mets Draft Thoughts and Opinions

Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:35 pm

I would agree with that. The fact they are being risky is a nice change. It was funny today listening to Callis and Mayo and how surprised they were that we took Allan.

Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:57 pm

Impressed...Nice to see this front office execute a plan a lot of fans have advocated for. Now they have to sign all 3 and our system looks a helluva lot better

Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:06 pm

I like the risk. Hope they can capitalize.

Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:26 pm

Coming around on Baty. The swing looks great, but really hoping he can stay at third and that I'm wrong on the age factor.

Wolf is interesting. Seems to have an electric arm, but doesn't exactly look like he's built for durability. He'll need to either fill out considerably (like adding 30+ pounds) or incorporate his lower half more.

Allan was a surprising pick in the best way possible. Assuming they do sign their first and second rounders, signing Allan would make this draft an absolutely massive victory for BVW.

As far as the college seniors go, Mangum is considered a legit talent so I'm happy they got him. There were other college seniors I'd have preferred (Cal Poly's Jarred Zill, KSU's Will Brennan, Vandy's Ethan Paul, and Jacksonville's Angel Camacho to name a few) that other teams snagged, but I won't pretend to have any real foresight into what any of these guys will become as professionals.

Lots of interesting players still out there and now that they can go up to $125K without anything counting toward the allotment, we should see some college juniors get selected. South Florida closer Nelson Alvarez and Dallas Baptist's Bryce Ball would make me happy, as would the aforementioned Zill.

Ball has hit against bigger schools all year, he's not just beating up on the MVC pitchers. Granted, he's not seeing these big program's Friday night starters, but combined against the likes of Florida, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Baylor, Texas A&M and TCU:

18 for 43 (.417) with 3 HR, 2B, 15 (!!!) BB to 8 K

Also of note: it's his first year of D1 after transferring in from JUCO and he doesn't turn 21 for another month. He's stands a towering 6'6".

Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:44 pm

Nice post Juice !

What is a realistic breakdown of how to get all of these draftees signed ?

Baty 3.2
Wolf 1.3
Allan 2.7
About 1 million to sign the 7 seniors

Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:09 am

bygranddesign wrote:Nice post Juice !

Baty 3.2
Wolf 1.3
Allan 2.7

Should be a lot less than a million on the 7 seniors. I would think somewhere between $100K-$200K range.

Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:09 am

underdog wrote:
bygranddesign wrote:Nice post Juice !

Baty 3.2
Wolf 1.3
Allan 2.7

Should be a lot less than a million on the 7 seniors. I would think somewhere between $100K-$200K range.

I'd be floored if they signed 4-10 for less than 500k

Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:52 am

I'm happy, but Brodie is working without a net here. One visit from the trainer and it's a historically bad draft.

8)

Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:20 am

Normally day 3 gets me excited for those HS players we pick that might get a bigger bonus(over the 125,000 allowed) but I don't see that likely happening much this year with the money spent on Allan. But he's likely a better talent then anyone we would get now anyways.

Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:22 am

Hojo4Life wrote:Normally day 3 gets me excited for those HS players we pick that might get a bigger bonus(over the 125,000 allowed) but I don't see that likely happening much this year with the money spent on Allan. But he's likely a better talent then anyone we would get now anyways.

Yeah, I'll take Allan. When is the last time one of those late round HS picks actually worked out (for the Mets)? Serious question, because I honestly don't know.

Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:29 am

The Juice wrote:
Hojo4Life wrote:Normally day 3 gets me excited for those HS players we pick that might get a bigger bonus(over the 125,000 allowed) but I don't see that likely happening much this year with the money spent on Allan. But he's likely a better talent then anyone we would get now anyways.

Yeah, I'll take Allan. When is the last time one of those late round HS picks actually worked out (for the Mets)? Serious question, because I honestly don't know.

If by worked out you mean made it to the major leagues, none in the last several years. Jordan Humphreys has probably climbed the prospect ladder the most but injuries have hurt him. Christian James has been decent in the lower levels so far. That's about it. Extreme crap shoot. Which is why Allan is well worth it.
Post a reply