MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2019 NYM Draft: Round 13, Pick 388: Blaine McIntosh CF
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:11 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Yeah I'm stunned at this one.

The Wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

matlack72 wrote:
I find this talk about Kelenic comical. He's a 19 year old kid who hit .253 at Kingsport
and struck out once a game and people are talking like he's the second coming. Get real people. When you have a chance to get the best reliever in the game who's only 24 and give up Kelenic in the deal, you MAKE that deal. Stop with the nonsense.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:13 pm 
Legend of NYFS

No idea what the ceiling is here or where the industry publications had him, but nice job to get this one. =D>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:13 pm 
NYFS Staff

They could basically only offer him 125,000 without a penalty correct? Draft pick next year was the penalty i believe.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:31 pm 
Legend of NYFS

matlack72 wrote:
I find this talk about Kelenic comical. He's a 19 year old kid who hit .253 at Kingsport
and struck out once a game and people are talking like he's the second coming. Get real people. When you have a chance to get the best reliever in the game who's only 24 and give up Kelenic in the deal, you MAKE that deal. Stop with the nonsense.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:41 pm 
Everyday Player

Hojo4Life wrote:
They could basically only offer him 125,000 without a penalty correct? Draft pick next year was the penalty i believe.

Will probably also get college tuition.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:00 pm 
Fan Favorite

Wow amazing

Where Are my Shades!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you build from within, we will WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never underestimate the HEART OF A MAVERICK AND A CHAMPION!!!!!!!!!!!!! It won’t matter what we do . We are the Mets it won’t work out!!!! No matter what we do, as long as we are owned by the COUPONS we will always be cursed. #CouponCurse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:13 am 
Legend of NYFS

As a baseball fan who thinks every kid should turn pro I'm still having trouble making sense of this.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:12 pm 
Draft Pick

It's surprising, given his college commitment, but he's making a rational decision to take the money now.

We just saw Jake Mangum and Antoine Duplantis, who are the sort of prospect this kid might be after school even if he performs well, sign for much less.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:10 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Uh, no he's really not making the rational best decision. I don't pretend to know this kid, his intelligence, aptitude or anything, but assuming he's ... relatively competent at what he likes, he could make 50-60k a year upon graduation, as opposed to a lump sum of 149k now (again, assuming brodie is not totally dumb and didn't give away our first next year). Financially, this is a horrible decision, again assuming relative competence on McIntosh' part.

Of course, there's the whole "cripple yourself with debt til you're 97 to go to college" that I didn't write about.

matlack72 wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:44 pm 
Everyday Player

tejdog1 wrote:
Uh, no he's really not making the rational best decision. I don't pretend to know this kid, his intelligence, aptitude or anything, but assuming he's ... relatively competent at what he likes, he could make 50-60k a year upon graduation, as opposed to a lump sum of 149k now (again, assuming brodie is not totally dumb and didn't give away our first next year). Financially, this is a horrible decision, again assuming relative competence on McIntosh' part.

Of course, there's the whole "cripple yourself with debt til you're 97 to go to college" that I didn't write about.

But let's say he gets $149K plus college tuition. Plays 4 or 5 years then decides to go to school. Schools paid for and upon graduation could still get the 50-60k job, just 4 or 5 years later. Of course we don't know what he will do with the bonus he's getting now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:10 pm 
Everyday Player

Feel like the college vs pro debate has been never ending this year. Not really sure why, if that us the case, but it doesn't even seem like the debate is really being tailored to each individual.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:11 pm 
Draft Pick

tejdog1 wrote:

I mean, if you're saying the financially rational thing to do is not to play baseball at all, that's probably true for most kids who aren't elite prospects. But obviously he wants to play ball, and presumably the Mets are covering his future college tuition.