MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: 2021 draft, early version.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:13 pm 
NYFS Staff

LTKfRGM wrote:
Hojo4Life wrote:
I listened to the Complex to Queens podcast recap of day 2 of the draft. They liked the general approach of the Mets on the 2nd day. As they mentioned numerous times there was a theme to the Mets draft. Spin rate for the pitchers and for the hitters a general strong feel for the strike zone and hitting.

As a group they didn't understand the UCLA 1st baseman pick. They thought there were better players available that fit the same signability or senior sign pick. And that he has the upside of utility infielder who's limited to first base. Compared him to Jeremy Vazquez who we drafted.

They did like the Seymour and David picks. For as they put it, if you are going with senior signs at least have one tool that really stands out and maybe if you improve the rest you have something. And not go with an average across the board skill set and hope you can improve it all.

I don't know nearly as much as they do, but I like the JT pick. 396 average and more walks than Ks is a nice combo. Sometimes guys get overlooked because they don't fit the mold, and that's why Alonso fell to the 2nd round, another guy I liked immediately once I saw some video of him.

Schwartz reminds me of Jayce Boyd more than Vazquez. Jayce didn't make it and I think his Thoracic Outlet surgery seemed to hurt him or he might have had a cup of coffee in the majors, or a few cups of coffee, but he had the good contact, hit 330 one year, good walk rate.

Players who can make contact and put up a high OBP are useful and JT could probably add some power.

Everyone can have an opinion. I think he's interesting. But I understand their thoughts. They don't think the power is going to come at this point and if you don't think it will I understand what htey are saying. His hit tool is going to have to really carry him if he doesn't add the power. They also don't think he can play any where else.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:28 am 
Prospect

From Fangraphs:

“ The Mets drafted several pitchers who have arguably regressed. Kumar Rocker (first round) began the year second on our draft board but his stuff slipped. He still pitched well and even with diminished velocity his secondary stuff can carry him to a 2 WAR sort of starter outcome, and if the Mets can find his peak form again then look out. Carson Seymour (sixth) entered the year as a big velo relief prospect but he posted an ERA over 6.00. Virginia’s Mike Vasil could have made seven figures coming out of high school but went in the eighth round this year. Rocker’s reported deal was about $1.25 million over slot and the Mets probably cut little deals all over Day Two. Second rounder Calvin Ziegler, a Canadian high school righty, throws hard with big effort. He was passed over in 2020 and went to an athletics school in Florida this year. Dominic Hamel was one of Justin Choi’s sleepers.”

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2021-draft-odds-ends/

Pitchers that regressed were a marker inefficiency I suppose.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:22 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I know they know more than we do, and I hope some of these guys turn out to be useful, but I just don't see who I'm checking the box scores for here.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:50 pm 
Rookie

red hat wrote:
From Fangraphs:

“ The Mets drafted several pitchers who have arguably regressed. Kumar Rocker (first round) began the year second on our draft board but his stuff slipped. He still pitched well and even with diminished velocity his secondary stuff can carry him to a 2 WAR sort of starter outcome, and if the Mets can find his peak form again then look out. Carson Seymour (sixth) entered the year as a big velo relief prospect but he posted an ERA over 6.00. Virginia’s Mike Vasil could have made seven figures coming out of high school but went in the eighth round this year. Rocker’s reported deal was about $1.25 million over slot and the Mets probably cut little deals all over Day Two. Second rounder Calvin Ziegler, a Canadian high school righty, throws hard with big effort. He was passed over in 2020 and went to an athletics school in Florida this year. Dominic Hamel was one of Justin Choi’s sleepers.”

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2021-draft-odds-ends/

Pitchers that regressed were a marker inefficiency I suppose.

It seems like some of these pitchers have a long history of either playing experience or guys that they have seen for awhile. i.e. Vasil was a top prospect in HS so they probably have scouted him for over 3-4 year so they have a long history with him.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:35 am 
NYFS Staff

R Nitelight wrote:
I know they know more than we do, and I hope some of these guys turn out to be useful, but I just don't see who I'm checking the box scores for here.

8)

I understand what you are saying, but there are several interesting names. Sometimes you get drafts that are intriguingly deep, sometimes you get a few big fish and mostly filler, then you go more aggressively in international.

I would say Rocker and Ziegler are both worthy of following, but there are a few others who are interesting...

Other than a few outliers, after the drafts, who wanted to follow Bobby Parnell or Jacob deGrom a shortstop-pitcher from Stetson...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:24 am 
Legend of NYFS

I just think there has to be an area scout somewhere who submitted a report on a diamond in the rough you take a shot on.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:42 pm 
NYFS Staff

https://metsmerizedonline.com/2021/07/m ... muta.html/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:43 pm 
NYFS Staff

Hojo4Life wrote:
https://metsmerizedonline.com/2021/07/mmo-exclusive-mets-director-of-amateur-scouting-marc-tramuta.html/

Good overall article on draft and system right now. I enjoyed it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13