Switch to full style
The forum to discuss all things relating to the Rule IV Draft (aka the June Amateur Draft).
Post a reply

Way Too Early 2022 Draft Predictions

Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:59 pm

The Mets currently have five and most likely six picks out of the first 100 in the upcoming draft. Things can change, either incrementally or drastically but right now they are picking 11, 14, 44, 75, 76 and 91. Picks 11 and 14 are probably set in stone. Others could move up if some of the remaining QO-FAs come off the board.

The commensurate prospects for those picks are
https://www.mlb.com/prospects/2022/draft/

Robert Moore (son of KC Royals Dayton) 2b, Arkansas
Blade Tidwell, RHP Tenn.
Malcom Moore (no relation) C McClatchy
Zack Neto SS, Campbell
Mike Irish C Orchard Lake HS MI
Anthony Hall, OF Oregon

Obviously R. Moore and Tidwell would be good gets, but I would rather they picked another pitcher instead of Moore. Perhaps his Arkansas teamie Pallette. While I'd guess his bat plays, Moore is already pigeonholed at 2B due to his arm strength.

I think drafting several examples of skill positions like catcher and shortstop is sound and I am intrigued by Hall.

They have to get at least three of these picks right, IMO or any success they might have this year and/or next could be fleeting.

Re: Way Too Early 2022 Draft Predictions

Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:42 pm

i'm salivating over all those picks

i wouldnt even get cute with this draft .. in terms of overslot at 44 or 47 and then underslot for a bunch of later picks ..etc

i would try to get guys that fit the budget for each pick

We will get a lot of young talent out of this draft

Re: Way Too Early 2022 Draft Predictions

Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:26 pm

bygranddesign wrote:i'm salivating over all those picks

i wouldnt even get cute with this draft .. in terms of overslot at 44 or 47 and then underslot for a bunch of later picks ..etc

i would try to get guys that fit the budget for each pick

We will get a lot of young talent out of this draft


It will be interesting (in a bad way) to see what happens if the lockout/strike continues to draft day. Once they miss the start of ST things will start to fall fast. June 1 (the scheduled draft day) will be upon them quickly.

Part of the "interest" is on the QO players that haven't signed. I am assuming the lost/rewarded picks will be bumped to the 2023 draft.

Getting back to this year's draft, another board has us picking Barriera and Tidwell with the first round picks. Disco like.

Re: Way Too Early 2022 Draft Predictions

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:47 pm

Disco Ball wrote:
It will be interesting (in a bad way) to see what happens if the lockout/strike continues to draft day. Once they miss the start of ST things will start to fall fast. June 1 (the scheduled draft day) will be upon them quickly.

Part of the "interest" is on the QO players that haven't signed. I am assuming the lost/rewarded picks will be bumped to the 2023 draft.

Getting back to this year's draft, another board has us picking Barriera and Tidwell with the first round picks. Disco like.


I don't think the draft is affected, only MLB players-union players. The draft will happen as planned, lockout or no lockout, similar to how teams are still able to sign players to minor league deals.

Likewise, I think the minor league seasons will continue, though some of the AAA rosters may be short-handed.

Re: Way Too Early 2022 Draft Predictions

Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:34 am

Pallette needs TJS

Re: Way Too Early 2022 Draft Predictions

Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:50 pm

This mock has them drafting 2 pitchers.

The Cubs WS run was based on a strategy of drafting position players with their early picks, because on average, position players have longer careers. I don't think that's a lock, but it's not the worst strategy, and then use extra cash to grab a pitcher or two with picks 44 or 75/76.

4 big money signings seems about right and would make for a very solid draft. 5 is possible depending on who they draft 11 & 14, but they'll probably go around slot for those 2 picks and draft best player available. I think that's the way to go.

This Mock has them taking pitchers with 11 & 14.

https://www.prospectslive.com/prospects ... mock-draft

Re: Way Too Early 2022 Draft Predictions

Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:36 pm

I have to much time on my hand at least for now so I will be following the draft in depth this year. Really interesting to see how they use their multiple picks.

Jacob Berry is off to a hot start. He might not make it to #11 but if he does he is my guy. Big bat if he can play OF it will help his stock.

Cam Collier is a large hit over power 17 year old with MLB bloodlines. Not sure of bonus demands but he is the only HS bat I like for the Mets in the first round.

Brock Jones athletic OF should stick in center raw but has legit bat and speed. Strikes out to often but quit Stanford football team to focus on baseball. Slow start only a couple games in but I think he has a big year. He also walks a lot.

Gavin Cross corner OF for VT. Had a big year but not a guy I've watched a ton of yet. He should go first half of first round so definitely a guy I will watch going forward.

Jace Jung
Brooks Lee
Chase DeLauter

Are three guys I see going before 11 so I'm not spending time on them yet either.

One college hitter I don't like is Robert Moore. Undersized second basemen, dad is royals GM. I just don't see an above average tool. Don't see a guy you take in the first maybe I'm missing something but he is a guy I pass on.

Re: Way Too Early 2022 Draft Predictions

Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:38 pm

To early for pitcher reviews and the class already has numerous top guys out with TJ. Thin at the top so far but lots of depth in the top 100.

Re: Way Too Early 2022 Draft Predictions

Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:18 am

corydd7 wrote:I have to much time on my hand at least for now so I will be following the draft in depth this year. Really interesting to see how they use their multiple picks.

Jacob Berry is off to a hot start. He might not make it to #11 but if he does he is my guy. Big bat if he can play OF it will help his stock.

Cam Collier is a large hit over power 17 year old with MLB bloodlines. Not sure of bonus demands but he is the only HS bat I like for the Mets in the first round.

Brock Jones athletic OF should stick in center raw but has legit bat and speed. Strikes out to often but quit Stanford football team to focus on baseball. Slow start only a couple games in but I think he has a big year. He also walks a lot.

Gavin Cross corner OF for VT. Had a big year but not a guy I've watched a ton of yet. He should go first half of first round so definitely a guy I will watch going forward.

Jace Jung
Brooks Lee
Chase DeLauter

Are three guys I see going before 11 so I'm not spending time on them yet either.

One college hitter I don't like is Robert Moore. Undersized second basemen, dad is royals GM. I just don't see an above average tool. Don't see a guy you take in the first maybe I'm missing something but he is a guy I pass on.


You sound almost like a scout, like you have some experience with this.

Re: Way Too Early 2022 Draft Predictions

Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:52 pm

Not a scout but I'm trying lol

A couple pitcher updates.

Blade Tidwell has a sore shoulder hasn't pitched yet this season and might be out a while.
Carson Whisenhunt who is the default highest ranked college pitcher has been suspended for team rule violation and hasn't pitched the first two weeks.
That means the top five college pitchers from most publications have Tommy John, sore shoulder or suspended. Yikes!
That leaves Landon Sims as the top ranked guy who has serious questions about remaining a SP. He had a rough start last time out (I didn't watch just saw the box score)

Re: Way Too Early 2022 Draft Predictions

Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:21 pm

Parker Messick and Bryce Hubbart are FSU Friday and Saturday starters. Both off to a great start both I watched. Ranked 48 and 49 respectively by MLB both maybe available underslot at 14 or with our 2nd round pick.
Personally I like Hubbart because of his floor. Both are left handers with pitchability over stuff but I don't love Messick build or upside.

Hubbart isn't a finished product but he looks like a starter in mlb to me. I disagree with the scouting on him fr MLB. I think if he can sit at 93-94 later into games he goes in the first round. I hope to watch him a ton this year.

Hunter Barco is a Mets draft pick highly touted HS guy who was dead set on attending Florida U. Once again not overwhelming stuff but can locate, very smart pitcher and seems like another quick moving lefty. Slider is his out pitch and a very good one but just like Hubbart he really will rise up draft boards if he adds a tick or two to his fastball. Love his arm slot btw. Neither Hubbart or Barco will be an ace but if either makes it to the Mets second round pick I would love it. Very similar pitchers that I think will become MLB starters.

Re: Way Too Early 2022 Draft Predictions

Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:12 am

corydd7 wrote:Not a scout but I'm trying lol

A couple pitcher updates.

Blade Tidwell has a sore shoulder hasn't pitched yet this season and might be out a while.
Carson Whisenhunt who is the default highest ranked college pitcher has been suspended for team rule violation and hasn't pitched the first two weeks.
That means the top five college pitchers from most publications have Tommy John, sore shoulder or suspended. Yikes!
That leaves Landon Sims as the top ranked guy who has serious questions about remaining a SP. He had a rough start last time out (I didn't watch just saw the box score)


That's basically why the Cubs GM decided to only draft hitters with his first round picks. Too much risk with pitchers and on average, shorter careers. More bang for the buck drafting hitters.
Post a reply