MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Has Mixed Martial Arts Arrived as a Mainstream, Major Sport?
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:24 pm 
Veteran Presence

I'd say with the story in SI this week, the ridiculous PPV revenue, and the huge ammount of coverage that ESPN is suddenly giving it, it's time to admit that MMA and UFC in particular has arrived.

I get the feeling that soon we'll be seeing UFC on HBO and it's only a matter of time before a championship bout gets the backpage of the tabloids...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:19 pm 
NYFS Staff

Being a huge MMA fan I will definitely chime in on this topic. I've been an MMA fan now going on 7 or 8 years and the amount of exposure it gets now is light years above anything it use to get years and years ago. It's really crazy. Chuck Liddell on ESPN the Magazine, Roger Huerta on the cover of SI, ESPN showing highlights and pre and post fight stuff now on ESPNews is really unbelieveable. And that's not even talking about all the stuff they have on Spike TV. I don't know exactly what going mainstream means but it seems like the type of exposure they(generally the UFC) get is what going mainstream would be in my book. As a fan it's been fun the watch this recent explosion. And with the acquisition(it seems) of Pride FC the UFC could really be basically controling most every major fighter in the sport. So we will see the best fights that can be put together, again hopefully.

I personally don't understand the whole HBO thing, and personally I think it's pointless and stupid. With the recent firing/removal of the one Head Exec. in HBO that was pushing the UFC it probably won't be very likely either. Supposedly the rest of the Heads of HBO are totally against the UFC and MMA in general and don't want to see it on the channel. We will see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:09 pm 
NYFS Staff

Still crazy that ESPN is covering the UFC weigh ins this morning

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:05 pm 
Legend of NYFS

ESPN use to be innovative now it is a frontrunner. MMA is here for a long stay especially if ESPN hops on board which it seems to have.

Go Rampage!!!!