MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Did anyone vote in the NY Democratic Primary?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:33 am 
User avatar
Offline
Franchise Player

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:23 am
Posts: 3167
Location: Manhattan
And if you did, did you vote for Andrew Cuomo?

If you did, why?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:23 am 
User avatar
Offline
Rookie

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:14 am
Posts: 701
Location: Flushing, NY
voted in the primary

voted for cuomo

Mark green doesnt do it for me, I am not a big fan of negative campaigning at all....and IMO, mark green had the ultimate opportunity given to him when he was elected as the first public advocate for NY, he could have really defined the role, but IMO, once again, he did not, and now it is just another "figurehead" position, and the woman who has it now is no better than he was.

Mark Green needed to define himself more to the general public, most people knew the name primarily as the guy who lost to bloomy, there was not enough substance put out there for the general public to sink their teeth into.

cuomo, for all of his faults (and mark green really hammered those points across), served on the cabinet of a persident whom I think was one of the best in recent history, and he was trusted by that president.

once again, Tom, I know that you worked on the green campaign, and I am sure you put your whole heart and soul into it, it must have been really dissapointing, but for the future, if mark Green would define himself more for the people, he might have a much better shot.

IMO

_________________
"Even a 100 win team must endure 62 excruciating losses on the way to the playoffs"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:47 pm 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:39 pm
Posts: 22630
Location: Jersey City
Mark Green is getting the label of being a perennial candidate.

I've always found his articles to be informative. And I've been impressed with him when he's on panel discussions that C-SPAN covers.

But it's safe to say the public has spoken (more than once) on whether it wants Green to hold an important elected office.

For reasons I don't fully understand (or necessarily agree with), the American political system has no respect for people who repeatedly lose and keep standing for election.

After all, we are talking about a fairly well known Democrat who somehow managed to lose citywide office in New York City to a political neophyte (albeit a billionaire). That's not easy to do.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:58 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Rookie

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:14 am
Posts: 701
Location: Flushing, NY
Chico wrote:
Mark Green is getting the label of being a perennial candidate.

I've always found his articles to be informative. And I've been impressed with him when he's on panel discussions that C-SPAN covers.

But it's safe to say the public has spoken (more than once) on whether it wants Green to hold an important elected office.

For reasons I don't fully understand (or necessarily agree with), the American political system has no respect for people who repeatedly lose and keep standing for election.

After all, we are talking about a fairly well known Democrat who somehow managed to lose citywide office in New York City to a political neophyte (albeit a billionaire). That's not easy to do.


Chico,

I agree with you about people not wanting to vote for "the underdog", the perennial loser, no matter how good he is, but many people I know (and i live in queens and have a lot of politically thinking, and in some cases, politically "inside", friends) just didnt get a good feel for Mark Green, and not knowing who he is or what he really stood for, the negative campaigning really backfired on him. If he had chosen to go positive, I think it would have really helped, but this election was owned by cuomo from the start.

just my opinion, tho, I am sure Mark Green is an excellent guy, and probably a first class politician (if there is such animal), he just didnt show enough of himself or his ideas to the general population.

_________________
"Even a 100 win team must endure 62 excruciating losses on the way to the playoffs"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:08 pm 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:39 pm
Posts: 22630
Location: Jersey City
canwegetitwright2005? wrote:
Chico wrote:
Mark Green is getting the label of being a perennial candidate.

I've always found his articles to be informative. And I've been impressed with him when he's on panel discussions that C-SPAN covers.

But it's safe to say the public has spoken (more than once) on whether it wants Green to hold an important elected office.

For reasons I don't fully understand (or necessarily agree with), the American political system has no respect for people who repeatedly lose and keep standing for election.

After all, we are talking about a fairly well known Democrat who somehow managed to lose citywide office in New York City to a political neophyte (albeit a billionaire). That's not easy to do.


Chico,

I agree with you about people not wanting to vote for "the underdog", the perennial loser, no matter how good he is, but many people I know (and i live in queens and have a lot of politically thinking, and in some cases, politically "inside", friends) just didnt get a good feel for Mark Green, and not knowing who he is or what he really stood for, the negative campaigning really backfired on him. If he had chosen to go positive, I think it would have really helped, but this election was owned by cuomo from the start.

just my opinion, tho, I am sure Mark Green is an excellent guy, and probably a first class politician (if there is such animal), he just didnt show enough of himself or his ideas to the general population.


The only reason I brought that up about Green's 'perennial' status is that I was watching a panel discussion about Elliot Spitzer and his impact on American business as NYS AG.

One of the topics that came up was an opinion that Spitzer had changed the role of the NYS AG forever. The issue of succession came up and one of the panelists was dismissive of Green, which surprised me until I thought about the fact that he's run for (and lost) so many offices.

I don't know if you have heard of Harold Stassen, but when I first started following politics in the late 60s he was sort of a national joke, because he ran for President every 4 years and never got any support.

I was later surprised to learn that he had been one of the brightest young politicians in the country in the 1940s and had once been a man people were predicting could become President. My impression was that he began his career as a John Edwards-like figure, but that his persistence turned his career into a joke (at least to other people).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:13 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Rookie

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:14 am
Posts: 701
Location: Flushing, NY
The political spectrum is filled with people like that, Chico. Many of them go on with their political lives, but these days, many of them become high powered lobbyists, using their political experience, network, and clout.

(and I am not talking about nutjobs like Lyndon larouche, or L Ron Hubbard, both of which ran countless times for countless offices)

_________________
"Even a 100 win team must endure 62 excruciating losses on the way to the playoffs"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:48 pm 
Offline
Everyday Player

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:37 pm
Posts: 1018
Politics make me woozy. :twisted:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:31 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Franchise Player

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:23 am
Posts: 3167
Location: Manhattan
canwegetitwright2005? wrote:
voted in the primary

voted for cuomo

Mark green doesnt do it for me, I am not a big fan of negative campaigning at all....and IMO, mark green had the ultimate opportunity given to him when he was elected as the first public advocate for NY, he could have really defined the role, but IMO, once again, he did not, and now it is just another "figurehead" position, and the woman who has it now is no better than he was.

Mark Green needed to define himself more to the general public, most people knew the name primarily as the guy who lost to bloomy, there was not enough substance put out there for the general public to sink their teeth into.

cuomo, for all of his faults (and mark green really hammered those points across), served on the cabinet of a persident whom I think was one of the best in recent history, and he was trusted by that president.

once again, Tom, I know that you worked on the green campaign, and I am sure you put your whole heart and soul into it, it must have been really dissapointing, but for the future, if mark Green would define himself more for the people, he might have a much better shot.

IMO
First of all, Green was positive for the vast majority of the campaign. Even when he attacked, half of the press conference would be about his accomplishments. The problem was that the media would only report the other half.

Second of all, there is a difference between, say, attacking a candidates family (which Cuomo did with Green's brother) or attacking a candidates record. Cuomo was running on his HUD record. He said he did great there, which is just not true. That's not from Green, that's from the NYT. He also gave a guy a favorable settlement then took millions from him after he left office. Again, that's the village voice, not Green. In a perfect world negative campaigning wouldn't be necesary. But when a cnadidate says that he did more than he actually did, then you need to say, "no, you didn't do that." That's all Green did.

I don't see how you could say he was one of the best cabinent members in recent history. I could see one of the worst, or average, but best? He didn't enforce a pesticide law protecting children from toxic pesticides, he let the 203(K) scandal run rampant leaving many many abondond buildings throughout new york, gave favorable contracts to his political friends (http://thekomisarscoop.com/2006/08/22/fees-for-our-friends-the-scandal-that-taints-andrew-cuomo/) and the thing that he claims is his greatest accomplishment - that he got HUD off of the GAO list of wasteful programs, is not true. He got one part of HUD off of it. And the GAO even said that he hired incompetent staff and was responsible in part for the 203K scandal. These are just a few examples.

After Mark brought all this stuff up, he would never ever answer. He would just say Mark was being negative then hurl personal, not substantive attacks at Mark. Mark, even when he had an opportunity to when the News attacked Cuomo for it and when Cuomo attacked Green's brother, never brought up Cuomo's many many family problems (like having to be dragged into court to pay child support payments...). When a reporter asked about it, Mark began yelling at her to focus on the issues, not personal mattersNow Cuomo, rather than responding to Pirro, is doing the same thing: attacking her husband.

"could have really defined the role, but IMO, once again, he did not"

Dude, i've honestly never heard that. Even people that hate him always say that he did an great job taking what most people thought would be a do nothing position and defining it and making it useful. The first things that come to mind, though are only a small amount of things he did there, was forcing Guliani to stop racially profiling as much and writing the great NYC campaign finance law. The women who is there now has made the position what most people thought it would be - a useless one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:34 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Franchise Player

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:23 am
Posts: 3167
Location: Manhattan
Interesting article:

http://villagevoice.com/news/0638,robbins,74492,2.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:43 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Franchise Player

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:23 am
Posts: 3167
Location: Manhattan
Chico wrote:

After all, we are talking about a fairly well known Democrat who somehow managed to lose citywide office in New York City to a political neophyte (albeit a billionaire). That's not easy to do.
No, it is. When literally everything that could go wrong does, some your fault some not, and when the guy your running against spends more than 10 times more than you do, and when the guy (Guliani) who you standing up to is one of the main things your running on all of the sudden becomes the second most popular man in America and endorses the other guy, and when the democratic party in a whole borough refuses to GOTV for you, then yes, it is easy to do. Also the fact that he was a democrat probably didn't help much right after 9/11. I think it's a miracle he only lost by 2%.

But overall, your right. If he was merely a crappy politician he would be mayor, senator or at least attorney general. The problem is that he is an insanely crappy one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:38 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Rookie

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:14 am
Posts: 701
Location: Flushing, NY
Tom,

I just wanted to clarify a few of my points here

1.
Quote:
Mark Green needed to define himself more to the general public, most people knew the name primarily as the guy who lost to bloomy, there was not enough substance put out there for the general public to sink their teeth into.


THis is one that I firmly stand by, I dont think that people knew the "real mark green" enough to make a valued decision, I am pretty well politically informed, and I didnt, so that may tell you something there.


2.
Quote:
cuomo, for all of his faults (and mark green really hammered those points across), served on the cabinet of a persident whom I think was one of the best in recent history, and he was trusted by that president.


Take a look at what I bolded....I never said that he was one of the best cabinet members, but that he was involved in the cabinet of a president that I feel was one of the best in recent history. I was commenting on the president, and the cabinet that he valued, not the position itself.


3.
Quote:
once again, Tom, I know that you worked on the green campaign, and I am sure you put your whole heart and soul into it, it must have been really dissapointing,


This one is the most important one for you to look at. I am more than impressed that you not only volunteered and worked on the campaign, but that you obviously put your heart and soul into it. If more people did this, there would be much better races in this city.


I congratulate you for being part of the political machine, not just standing on the sidelines, complaining about it.

good job !....win or lose....you won !!

_________________
"Even a 100 win team must endure 62 excruciating losses on the way to the playoffs"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


SUPPORT NYFS VIA OUR NETWORK OF SITES: FIND AN AA MEETING | FIND A JOB NEAR YOU | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | HOME REPAIR CONTRACTOR BUILDER AC HEAT | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT AND RESOURCES | THE SOULCIALISTS LIVE LOCAL PIANO MUSIC TREASURE COAST | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT NEAR YOU | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GOLF BEACH RESORT HOTELS RESTAURANTS BED BREAKFAST | HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | METRO BUS TRAIN SUBWAY AIRPORT HELIPORT | VETERAN TIPS CRAFT DIY RECIPES | ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS NEAR YOU | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL HEALTHY HEART DIABETIC RESTAURANTS AND STORES | CHURCH TEMPLE MOSQUE OR PLACE OF WORSHIP NEAR YOU | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB | SUICIDE HOTLINE DANIELLE COLBERT PHOTO MUG SHOT | © Untraditional Media

The%20Soulcialists