MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Black Swan
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:37 pm 
NYFS Staff

Wow.

It's certainly not for everyone, but I'd say it's one of the best movies I've ever seen. I couldn't take my eyes off the screen for a minute. And Natalie Portman was incredible in it. As was Mila Kunis, surprisingly. Matter of fact, the whole cast was fantastic.

If you're even remotely interested in this, see it. You won't regret it.

Post subject: Re: Black Swan
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:17 am 
NYFS Hall of Famer

I hear there is a scene that is pretty spicy between Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:01 pm 
Veteran Presence

This looks like a great psychological movie. I don't know how many folks have had experiences with friends who are overachieving and self-destructive at the same time, but this movie seems to delve into that rather intelligently.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:04 am 
Legend of NYFS

Saw it over the weekend with some friends. Was left wandering in a daze for like half an hour after watching it. Definitely one of the more interesting films I saw in 2010. I can certainly see why Portman got a ton of early Oscar buzz for her performance, she was outstanding.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:58 am 
Legend of NYFS

I saw it and really enjoyed it. The clear influences like Carrie, The Fly, and Suspiria, along with some Michael Powell and early Roman Polanski really made me like it even more as a horror film fan. I am hot and cold on Natalie Portman's acting (not including the unfortunate instances where she must speak George Lucas dialogue) but I thought she was stunning. Liked the rest of the ensemble with Vincent Cassel, Mila Kunis, and Barbara Hershey. I loved how in just one shot a scene can go from one kind of feeling to the viewer to then something completely different. My only issue with the film was some of the visual effects were a bit too goofy at times.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:14 pm 
Veteran Presence

I have nothing but respect for Darren Aronofsky. People don't talk about him all the much, especially not compared to many other directors or before Black Swan, but I thought The Fountain was quite an amazing depiction of emotion (grief). I also liked Requiem even though it was hard to watch. I would totally believe it if someone told me he was a licensed psychologist.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:52 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Aronofsky actually studied the discipline of anthropology in college if that is any indication of his long record of films on human behavior.

I like Aronofsky because he really does come off as a guy who grew up loving movies but does not care about genre or being placed in a certain category. Would you expect the director of Pi to want to desperately do a comic book movie (he was attached to Batman prior to Nolan and thanks to Hugh Jackman, is doing Wolverine)? I also think he is tremendously underrated as an actor's director. Sure, it is not that hard to expect Ellen Burnstyn to be nothing short of brilliant in Requiem For A Dream but I did not expect respectable performances from Damon Wayans and Jared Leto. He is largely credited with Mickey Rourke's comeback (except I think Robert Rodriguez with Sin City should be credited with putting Mickey Rourke back on our radar) but I think he gets great performances from nearly all of his actors regardless of their celebrity or talent-level.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:48 pm 
Franchise Player

I had a plan to see this movie, and before I actually went a patient described the entire plot to me, including the ending. As a result, I know I didn't enjoy it as much as I likely would have. I walked away thinking, "Good, not great." Certain parts I though were goofy, and not realistic for what was attempting to be depicted (I'm being vague for anyone who hasn't seen it). I just kept saying to myself, "That's not what happens."

"It's time to be a MAN!"
- Johan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:59 pm 
Legend of NYFS

DrKingman wrote:
I had a plan to see this movie, and before I actually went a patient described the entire plot to me, including the ending. As a result, I know I didn't enjoy it as much as I likely would have. I walked away thinking, "Good, not great." Certain parts I though were goofy, and not realistic for what was attempting to be depicted (I'm being vague for anyone who hasn't seen it). I just kept saying to myself, "That's not what happens."

Dang, I hate when that happens.

The effects? I thought they were mostly goofy and pronounced but, I think Aronofsky purposely gave the film B-movie conventions that included the effects.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:16 pm 
Franchise Player

Prospectus wrote:
DrKingman wrote:

Dang, I hate when that happens.

The effects? I thought they were mostly goofy and pronounced but, I think Aronofsky purposely gave the film B-movie conventions that included the effects.

I wasn't referring to the effects not being realistic (while they weren't), I was more referring to the "descent," again trying to be intentionally vague for those who haven't seen it.

"It's time to be a MAN!"
- Johan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:16 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Okay, this just came out in Korea, so I'm a bit late to the game.

My opinion is a resounding ugh. I want my money back.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:47 pm 
Legend of NYFS

northway wrote:
Okay, this just came out in Korea, so I'm a bit late to the game.

My opinion is a resounding ugh. I want my money back.

Really?

I loved it.

Profile E-mail