MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: True Grit
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:48 pm 
Franchise Player

Go see it. Film making at its finest.

The actress who played Mattie Ross, Hailee Steinfeld, deserves the Oscar for Best Actress.

Post subject: Re: True Grit
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:06 pm 
All Star

Really? Everyone else I know who has seen it said it failed to meet their expectations, which were high given the director(s), actors, and story. No one said it was bad, but that it wasn't quite as good as they hoped and thought it would be.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:20 pm 
NYFS Staff

The Juice wrote:
Really? Everyone else I know who has seen it said it failed to meet their expectations, which were high given the director(s), actors, and story. No one said it was bad, but that it wasn't quite as good as they hoped and thought it would be.

Hit the nail on the head. I just watched it and it was good, but not in the top 5 movies by the Coens.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:20 am 
NYFS Hall of Famer

Really? I loved it. Thought it was one of their best films. Hailee is terrific, as is Bridges and Damon. Great dialog, great characters. I watched the John Wayne version afterwards, or at least tried. Interesting comparison - Hathaway is all about exposition, explaining everything and cataloging all the movements from A to B. The Coens cut right through the exposition and go straight to character development. Much, much better film. And Bridges' Rooster owes more to Lee Marvin in Cat Balou than to the Duke in his version. Again, a great choice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:44 am 
Legend of NYFS

Glad to know I am not alone in not thinking much of the original. Substituting Glenn Campbell and Kim Darby for Matt Damon and Hailee Steinfeld, it is not even a fair contest. I am hot and cold on the Coen Brothers but, I cannot deny that even their weaker films or films I did not particularly enjoy always offer good acting and good atmosphere. I like what they did with this film.

Interesting about Hailee Steinfeld. The movie is about her character, she should probably be considered as the Best Actress but the studios are submitting her as a Supporting Actress. In hindsight it might have been wiser for her to be in the Best Actress category, Best Supporting Actress has been a crowded field and more of a crap-shoot while I can only think of three sure nominees in the Best Actress category. But whether it was her newcomer status or her age this always seems to happen to actors during award season thanks to power-plays by the studios.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:45 pm 
NYFS Hall of Famer

I don't know why they've submitted Hailee for Supporting Actress and those type of moves often don't work out because of the unfairness of screen time. Hailee is the lead of the film, she's in practically every scene, and is terrific. The person who should be nominated for a supporting role is Dakin Matthews who plays Colonel Stonehill. The negotiations between him and Hailee are hysterical and really kick her character into gear. His performance is so strong that the stable boy gets a laugh by the audience just imagining how he might react to the mention of her name.

But despite the absurd snub by the Golden Globes (who have done themselves no good with the overtly obvious moves to get Depp and Jolie to attend), I think the film will do very well with the Academy as the word of mouth in LA on the film is very strong.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:41 pm 
NYFS Staff

dougdilg wrote:
The person who should be nominated for a supporting role is Dakin Matthews who plays Colonel Stonehill. The negotiations between him and Hailee are hysterical and really kick her character into gear. His performance is so strong that the stable boy gets a laugh by the audience just imagining how he might react to the mention of her name.

Hmmm... he was only on screen for like 3 minutes total. And wasn't around past about 30 minutes in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:13 pm 
NYFS Hall of Famer

dalek wrote:
dougdilg wrote:
The person who should be nominated for a supporting role is Dakin Matthews who plays Colonel Stonehill. The negotiations between him and Hailee are hysterical and really kick her character into gear. His performance is so strong that the stable boy gets a laugh by the audience just imagining how he might react to the mention of her name.

Hmmm... he was only on screen for like 3 minutes total. And wasn't around past about 30 minutes in.

Maybe a little more than 3 minutes, but he was terrific and completely memorable. And he truly was a "supporting" character since is interplay with Mattie completely sets up her character. It would be nice for that type of performance to be recognized.

The more I think about it almost every performance was worthy of praise. The more I think about this film the more I like it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:11 pm 
Veteran Presence

I thought it was very good. Not a masterpiece, but well done all around and as has been said before the girl in the film was quite impressive. Even though she looks 14 I had a hard time believing it - she was insanely mature and complex.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:30 pm 
Franchise Player

I really like how they submitted Steinfeld for Best Supporting. It adds to the intrigue surrounding who the main hero was. Who was the most heroic character? Who was the main character?

Every character played their role and at some parts during the movie they all shared the lead.

And I nominate "Little Blackie" for my award for Best Animal Role in Movie. All kinds of emotion stirred in me for that little horse at the end of the movie.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:40 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Does it involve David Eckstein?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:33 pm 
Veteran Presence

MikeH wrote:
I really like how they submitted Steinfeld for Best Supporting. It adds to the intrigue surrounding who the main hero was. Who was the most heroic character? Who was the main character?

Every character played their role and at some parts during the movie they all shared the lead.

And I nominate "Little Blackie" for my award for Best Animal Role in Movie. All kinds of emotion stirred in me for that little horse at the end of the movie.

The later scene with the horse was really rough. It really does help you understand the meaning of "True Grit" in a circumstance like that. It would be insanely hard for me to push a horse that far.