PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:32 pm 
NYFS Hall of Famer

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5291/539 ... 4c0b_b.jpg

too wide to post

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Egypt
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:03 pm 
NYFS Staff

This has huge implications on so many levels.

The Egyptian government has been despised by its own people for years and has been extremely repressive and corrupt.

But because Egypt has been a reliable ally, the US govt and media have paid it little mind on a daily basis.

Contrast that with the way unfriendly regimes like Saddam's Iraq and Iran have been demonized for doing the same kinds of things to maintain their domestic power.

Now that the pot is boiling over, America is paying attention.

"You come to play the game right. I don’t care what the situation is, I don’t care what the standings say, I don’t care about pitch counts. I only care about playing the game correctly."--Terry Collins

--------------------------------------------------------
You can PayPal donations to donations@nyfuturestars.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:06 pm 
NYFS Staff

Chico wrote:
Now that the pot is boiling over, America is paying attention.

Kind of.

“Patience is not a virtue unless you take advantage of it by exercising it well,” Alderson said. “Patience is only part of a strategy.”

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:30 pm 
MVP

It will be interesting to see what comes out of this situation and if there are any other countries ready to topple next.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:58 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Not a good situation? I think this is the best thing that happened to Egypt since Sadat went to the Knesset.

If Mubarrack falls, I wonder if Syria is next, at which point Bashir can finally go and operate on eyes like he always wanted to before his brother decided to play chicken with a tree.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:29 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I just hope we don't get attacked by mummies.....

8)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:31 pm 
NYFS Staff

northway wrote:
Not a good situation? I think this is the best thing that happened to Egypt since Sadat went to the Knesset.

If Mubarrack falls, I wonder if Syria is next, at which point Bashir can finally go and operate on eyes like he always wanted to before his brother decided to play chicken with a tree.

It's very rare for an autocrat to leave power without a lot of innocent people getting hurt.

From the perspective of Israel, they've had peace for 30 years with a neighboring country of 80 million people.

Considering the fact that they are in a perpetual state of war with many of their other neighbors, I'm sure the uncertainty of what lies ahead for Egypt is a huge matter in Israel.

"You come to play the game right. I don’t care what the situation is, I don’t care what the standings say, I don’t care about pitch counts. I only care about playing the game correctly."--Terry Collins

--------------------------------------------------------
You can PayPal donations to donations@nyfuturestars.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:07 pm 
Legend of NYFS

First: the only neighbor that Israel is in a state of war with is Syria. Relations have been fine with Jordan for a long time, and the Lebanese government isn't Israel's problem.

Second: it's not that rare for an autocrat to leave power without a lot of innocent people getting hurt. South Korea, Taiwan, and the Philippines were all able to pull it off, helped in large part by the fact that they don't have huge ethnic/cultural divisions within the society, similar to the situation in Egypt. Egypt has long been considered the best opportunity the Arab world has for democracy, given that it has a fairly homogenous society both ethnically and religiously.

Third: Israel's stability hasn't been built for the long-term. An Egypt that wasn't ludicrously corrupt, that was capable of real economic development and interconnectedness, is much better for Israel's future than one wherein Mubarrak tamps down a powder keg with a kerosene soaked rag.

Fourth: it's worth recognizing that part of the reason South Korea, Taiwan, and the Philippines were fairly non-violent transfers of power was that the US withdrew support for the regime upon realizing that it's position was untenable. I.e., it's better to stop backing a guy who is going to fall than to watch your public image go down with him. If you want to really make the next generation hate you, the best way to go is to keep backing someone like Mubarrak at a time like this.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:37 pm 
Everyday Player

Down with Mubarak! If the Egyptians want an Islamist form of government, let them lay their own bed. Once they get a taste of its reality, they will soon reject it.

Looks like the landscape of the middle east is going to be changing for the better, though it might take decades.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:37 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Ciarán wrote:
Down with Mubarak! If the Egyptians want an Islamist form of government, let them lay their own bed. Once they get a taste of its reality, they will soon reject it.

Nothing suggests that this is an Islamist movement.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:29 pm 
Veteran Presence

northway wrote:
Ciarán wrote:

Nothing suggests that this is an Islamist movement.

Not yet - but the Brotherhood is starting to have more of a role. Basically any movement like this carries the risk of a vacuum that could be filled by several different types of groups and might not be democratic. Probably the main reason the Administration is treading a little lightly here.