MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: One of the Saddest Things I've Ever Seen
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:26 am 
User avatar
Offline
Franchise Player

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:23 am
Posts: 3165
Location: Manhattan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OeQ5dcBltg&feature=player_embedded

The Muslim man is praying outside the White House. The other people are throwing crosses at his feet. They were there for their own protests and found him.

_________________
A few years ago, legend has it, San Diego Padres general manager Kevin Towers found the following message on his voice mail: "This is Rickey calling on behalf of Rickey. Rickey wants to play baseball."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: One of the Saddest Things I've Ever Seen
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:26 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Everyday Player

Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:56 pm
Posts: 1204
Location: because the city is New Yawk
Religion is worthless.

_________________
We set out as men of reason, armed with Navy Colts.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: One of the Saddest Things I've Ever Seen
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:25 am 
User avatar
Offline
Veteran Presence

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:03 pm
Posts: 4903
Location: Ithaca, NY
SlobX wrote:
Religion is worthless.

Unless, of course, you're into war, suffering, and the supernatural.

_________________
---
"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -- Rogers Hornsby


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: One of the Saddest Things I've Ever Seen
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:42 am 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:10 pm
Posts: 3668
Location: Infected with D'evils...
SlobX wrote:
Religion is worthless.


johnnypark wrote:
Unless, of course, you're into war, suffering, and the supernatural.


I'm an atheist myself, but these comments are getting a little too personal. I don't think any of us have a right to belittle people for just believing in something. So let's leave all that out and just discuss what's in the video.

That being said, I respect the Muslim dude for just continuing to go about his prayers, in spite of what the fools around him are doing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: One of the Saddest Things I've Ever Seen
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:43 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Franchise Player

Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Posts: 3605
Location: Shea
SlobX wrote:
Religion is worthless.


Yeah religion is worthless yet, there are studies that show a correlation between religion and happiness. The homeless who are being fed by religious groups in soup kitchens probably also believe religion is worthless. The poor souls in Japan who lost their homes and family and have nowhere to turn probably believe religion is worthless. The kid being passed from foster home to foster home with no guarantee he will ever have a permanent roof over his head probably thinks religion is worthless.

Worth is a relative term. What is worthless to you, may have great worth to someone else. Look at the Danny Woodhead. The Jets did not think he was worth a roster spot, yet the Patriots thought he was worthy enough to start. Look at Oliver Perez. Omar Minaya thought he was worth $36 million. When determining something's worth, it is important to remember you may be wrong in your judgment.

Instead of saying, "Religion is worthless," how bout next time you say something like, "I believe religion has long been used as excuse and a crutch for people to act out and say or do things they wouldn't normally say or do. I believe religion in its purest form teaches love and tolerance, but those messages can be skewed or doctored to further an unrelated agenda." Throwaway one liners with no explanation on a topic as global and beautiful as religion do little to encourage discourse or convince others that what you say is a valid observation.

And to deem it worthless after this video makes me shake my head even more. The video shows a man being ridiculed and disrespected in disgusting fashion, yet the man manages to keep his calm and devote himself to his God. He is able to rise above the obvious worldly challenges that face him all in the name of prayer. He does not yell back at the other man. He does not punch him. He does not flip him the bird. All he does is pray. It was an act of glorious restraint and discipline.

Just be careful when determining worth. You may cut Danny Woodhead or you may pay Oliver Perez $36 million.

And Tom, instead of this being the saddest thing you have ever seen, couldn't it also be a heroic act of sorts by the Muslim man? Half full or half empty?

_________________
Run it up, Herman! Leave no doubt!
-Coach Yoast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: One of the Saddest Things I've Ever Seen
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 am 
User avatar
Offline
MVP

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:30 pm
Posts: 2832
Location: Medford, NY
MikeH wrote:
And Tom, instead of this being the saddest thing you have ever seen, couldn't it also be a heroic act of sorts by the Muslim man? Half full or half empty?



I took the title to mean that it's sad that a person who is apparently peacefully practicing his religion and not bothering anybody is being persecuted by others that seem to be acting in the name of their religion.

_________________
Let's Go Mets!
Gil Hodges Should Be In The Hall Of Fame


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: One of the Saddest Things I've Ever Seen
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:18 pm 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:39 pm
Posts: 20715
Location: Jersey City
I haven't been to DC in a few years, but it was never difficult to find crackpots demonstrating about one thing or another if I visited the National Mall on a nice day in the Spring, Summer, or Fall.

_________________
"For years now, young talent has been the source of the Mets’ sales pitch: Trust in the farm. It is the same mantra peddled by all losing teams, a convenient distraction offering optimism for a better tomorrow. The next losing team that does not talk up its farm system will be the first."--Tyler Kepner, NY Times, June 2014

--------------------------------------------------------
You can PayPal donations to donations@nyfuturestars.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: One of the Saddest Things I've Ever Seen
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:37 am 
User avatar
Offline
Everyday Player

Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:56 pm
Posts: 1204
Location: because the city is New Yawk
dalek wrote:
SlobX wrote:
Religion is worthless.


johnnypark wrote:
Unless, of course, you're into war, suffering, and the supernatural.


I'm an atheist myself, but these comments are getting a little too personal. I don't think any of us have a right to belittle people for just believing in something. So let's leave all that out and just discuss what's in the video.

That being said, I respect the Muslim dude for just continuing to go about his prayers, in spite of what the fools around him are doing.


Personal? I didn't think I could get any less personal than that statement. Also, religion isn't a person, it's belief. Some beliefs deserve belittlement. Religion is no different.

_________________
We set out as men of reason, armed with Navy Colts.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: One of the Saddest Things I've Ever Seen
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:52 am 
User avatar
Offline
Everyday Player

Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:56 pm
Posts: 1204
Location: because the city is New Yawk
MikeH wrote:
SlobX wrote:
Religion is worthless.


Yeah religion is worthless yet, there are studies that show a correlation between religion and happiness. The homeless who are being fed by religious groups in soup kitchens probably also believe religion is worthless. The poor souls in Japan who lost their homes and family and have nowhere to turn probably believe religion is worthless. The kid being passed from foster home to foster home with no guarantee he will ever have a permanent roof over his head probably thinks religion is worthless.

Worth is a relative term. What is worthless to you, may have great worth to someone else. Look at the Danny Woodhead. The Jets did not think he was worth a roster spot, yet the Patriots thought he was worthy enough to start. Look at Oliver Perez. Omar Minaya thought he was worth $36 million. When determining something's worth, it is important to remember you may be wrong in your judgment.

Instead of saying, "Religion is worthless," how bout next time you say something like, "I believe religion has long been used as excuse and a crutch for people to act out and say or do things they wouldn't normally say or do. I believe religion in its purest form teaches love and tolerance, but those messages can be skewed or doctored to further an unrelated agenda." Throwaway one liners with no explanation on a topic as global and beautiful as religion do little to encourage discourse or convince others that what you say is a valid observation.

And to deem it worthless after this video makes me shake my head even more. The video shows a man being ridiculed and disrespected in disgusting fashion, yet the man manages to keep his calm and devote himself to his God. He is able to rise above the obvious worldly challenges that face him all in the name of prayer. He does not yell back at the other man. He does not punch him. He does not flip him the bird. All he does is pray. It was an act of glorious restraint and discipline.

Just be careful when determining worth. You may cut Danny Woodhead or you may pay Oliver Perez $36 million.

And Tom, instead of this being the saddest thing you have ever seen, couldn't it also be a heroic act of sorts by the Muslim man? Half full or half empty?


Are we supposed to believe things because it makes us happy? Also, Japan is actually one of the least religious places on the planet so I don't really understand where you're going with that example.

I wouldn't say "I believe religion has long been used as excuse and a crutch for people to act out and say or do things they wouldn't normally say or do. I believe religion in its purest form teaches love and tolerance, but those messages can be skewed or doctored to further an unrelated agenda." because I don't believe that. In fact, I believe the exact opposite of that. I believe that Stephen Weinberg had it right. "With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil---that takes religion."

_________________
We set out as men of reason, armed with Navy Colts.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


SUPPORT NYFS VIA OUR NETWORK OF SITES: AA MEETINGS | FIND A JOB NEAR | BOOK REVIEW | ENTERTAIN: MOVIE TV GAME | LAST MINUTE GIFT | GET AUTO HEALTH LIFE HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | DOCTOR HOSPITAL | REPAIR CONTRACTOR | LIVE MUSIC | WHERE VOTE LOCAL CONGRESSMAN | PET FRIENDLY | FILE TAX RETURN 4G SEO PHONES TABLETS | FOR SALE OR RENT | SPORT COURT FITNESS | CHRISTMAS BACK TO SCHOOL BLACK FRIDAY | GOLF BEACH RESORT HOTEL | LOCAL LINKS | INSTALL SOLAR QUOTE ESTIMATE | LOCAL NEWS | FAST SSD HOST METRO BUS TRAIN STATION | CRAFTS DIY RECIPES | WEB TECH SEO TIPS | WEB HOST SERVER | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENT | MANAGED SSD VPS ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | HEALTHY HEART DIABETIC | CHURCH TEMPLE MOSQUE | HYBRID SERVER | ATM BANK CONSOLIDATE LOAN RATES | DRUG OXY REHAB | FIND BOOK STORES | WEB SITE BY UMPS © 2014