MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: God Grew Tired of Us
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:05 pm 
NYFS Staff

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/God_G ... height2282

Quote:
After raising themselves in the desert along with thousands of other "lost boys," Sudanese refugees John, Daniel and Panther have found their way to America, where they experience electricity, running water and supermarkets for the first time. Capturing their wonder at things Westerners take for granted, this documentary, an award winner at the 2006 Sundance Film Festival, paints an intimate portrait of strangers in a strange land.

Please do yourself a favor and watch this documentary. It's streaming now on netflix!

Post subject: Re: God Grew Tired of Us
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:01 am 
NYFS Staff

I remember when I was younger, my teacher had us do this project: pretend an alien just landed in a spaceship, came into your house and asked you how to teach him how to make a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich.

The point of the exercise was to get as detailed as possible, to assume that the alien knew nothing. You not only needed to teach the alien how to make the sandwich, but what a sandwich IS. What bread is, what a knife is, what jelly is, etc, etc.

This documentary is like 89 minutes of that. On both ends. It's fascinating to watch them learn our culture, and shocking to find out how little I knew about theirs. Terrific job done here.

And I'm kind of glad about that.

Post subject: Re: God Grew Tired of Us
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:26 pm 
NYFS Staff

This was in my queue for a long time. Then I think it wasn't available for streaming for a while. Now it's back. I'll get around to watching it soon.