MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Really nice story.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:49 am 
NYFS Hall of Famer

So nice. Super sportsmanship. The opposing team let a football player with Down's scored a touchdown, and then congratulated him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTOc8412BBc

Post subject: Re: Really nice story.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:14 pm 
NYFS Staff

Got not a lot of play in the media down here. Unfortunately, college football overshadows real football.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:05 pm 
Blue Chipper

SHPIDA, thanks for posting that. As someone who works with children with Autism and Down Syndrome, I enjoy seeing stories like this.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:31 am 
Everyday Player

This story really hits home as my aunt has some type of mental handicap (my grandmother never has said the type of disability), while my aunt is the most happy go lucky person I have ever met. She is my inspiration and hero. In the past, before she got to old to play due to bad knees, I would volunteer to coach her Special Olympics basketball team. Needless to say, just receiving a participation medal made moments these men and women will never forget; I know, as my aunt still discusses it with me routinely! However, this young man had an extra special moment as he was mainstreamed and allowed to be part of the high school team. This differs significantly from Special Olympics, obviously, however the intent was the same, make a memory this young man will never forget. Most Special Olympic sports are non-contact and involve other handicapped individuals, obviously. For this young man to do it in a playoff, with players who obviously cared for him made me cry. It makes me wish our coach would have let the water boy from our team, who also had down syndrome, dress for at least one game. The report also mentions it was the opposing coaches idea! What a class act this man must be. Thank you for sharing this story.