Switch to full style
The place for NYFSers to discuss everything else, music, pop culture, other sports, news.
Post a reply

Tyree and Dungy

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:24 pm

Hard to fathom the notion that Tyree and Dungy are "entitled" to their opinions vis a vis homosexuality in general (Tyree) and Michael Sam (Dungy).
In Tyree's case, his opinion is abhorrent. His "entitlement" to it is not the issue, no more than a vicious anti-Semite is "entitled" to his opinion. This is no more acceptable than if the Giants had hired a person who espouses Nazi sympathies.

Dungy thoughts, while less overtly hateful, are also abhorrent. They should be no more acceptable to us than the notion that it was understandable that teams didn't want to deal with the distraction of an African American ball player in 1947.

Re: Tyree and Dungy

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:47 am

While I don't think Tyree's opinions are true or helpful, your Nazi reference is ridiculous, because the Nazis wanted everyone dead, while Tyree just thinks they're sick.

You do see how being wrong about someone being sick is not the same as wanting to murder the entire population, right?

Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:04 pm

I think it is clear that I was referencing our acceptance of these beliefs as some type of reasonable alternate viewpoint. In that context I completely stand by the statement.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:50 pm

I'm not sure how Dungy has attained the aura of being some kind of spiritual authority over the years.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:21 pm

Chico wrote:I'm not sure how Dungy has attained the aura of being some kind of spiritual authority over the years.

I think it's the usual combination of factors - a certain gravitas, a humble persona, and, most importantly, blind adherence to an ancient belief system.

He has received far too little criticism for his comments about Sam.
Post a reply