MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ozzie being Ozzie
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:35 pm 
Veteran Presence

So Ozzie felt the need to express his admiration for Fidel Castro, well good thing Miami doesn't have a large Cuban population

Hey, you know what they say: see a broad to get dat booty yak 'em... ...leg 'er down a smack 'em yak 'em!

Post subject: Re: Ozzie being Ozzie
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:53 pm 
NYFS Staff

Thought it would take more than a week until the fireworks started.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:06 am 
Legend of NYFS

I guess Jeffrey Loria was also unaware that just because he had a Spanish-speaking manager does not mean there is a harmonious, pan-Latinism that exists. Venezuelans have different perspectives than Cubans and Cuban-Americans for that matter.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:22 am 
Legend of NYFS

He got suspended for 5 games.

The strange part is that this comment you could remove Castro's name and just placed any corrupt individual/outlaw in popular culture. He was not specific about Castro being 'great for Cuba' aside from the fact he managed to survive political assassinations and is still standing. It was not a political statement.

EDIT: Which is not to say the comment was not stupid or ignorant or laughably childish.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:34 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Prospectus wrote:
I guess Jeffrey Loria was also unaware that just because he had a Spanish-speaking manager does not mean there is a harmonious, pan-Latinism that exists. Venezuelans have different perspectives than Cubans and Cuban-Americans for that matter.

I'm pretty sure Ozzie would have been fully capable of making that statement even if he'd fled from Cuba in a styrofoam raft with Castro's thugs shooting at him and his mother left behind to be tortured. Let's not forget who we're talking about here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:02 pm 
Legend of NYFS

northway wrote:
Prospectus wrote:

I'm pretty sure Ozzie would have been fully capable of making that statement even if he'd fled from Cuba in a styrofoam raft with Castro's thugs shooting at him and his mother left behind to be tortured. Let's not forget who we're talking about here.

Chavez is buddies with Ozzie Guillen (though Ozzie says based on a personal, not political level much like the problematic Castro quote). Something of this nature was bound to come up if just for the six degrees of separation that seemed to go unrealized by Marlins FO and Ownership who have nobody of Cuban descent or other Latino descent in the higher-ups. Their whole restart button on getting a fan base was more cynical than any Latin fusion Omar Minaya could ever accused of doing, and that is mainly because the Marlins are a shady organization in general.

MLB did business with Cuba letting their team play in Baltimore, I forget the level of outrage but the main reason this exploded to this level is that he said this as an employee of the Miami Marlins. He made similar comments to this years ago regarding both Castro and Chavez to Chicago publications.

Rashard Mendenhall's comments about 9/11 and bin Laden were terrible but he was in Pittsburgh and could hide from the scrutiny because he did not directly offend Steelers season ticket-holders. Had he been on the Jets or Giants, you might have another story.

I don't want it to be interpreted that I am defending Guillen, he is an ignorant boar and has done so many times before to remove any doubt of that. Making him the face of the franchise when he had this laundry list of incidents of glib statements was a ticking time-bomb that the Marlins went out of their way to make happen. I think they deserve each other.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:48 am 
NYFS Staff

Excellent points, Prospectus.

Not unlike Al Capone going to jail on tax evasion charges, this whole dustup is prompting renewed scrutiny public in Miami Dade of Loria's less-than-honest dealings to get the new stadium built with public funds.

--------------------------------------------------------
You can PayPal donations to donations@nyfuturestars.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:12 am 
NYFS Staff

This has been another episode of "We don't actually allow sports personalities to say anything." People are shocked that players speak in platitudes and cliche, but this lesson pops up all the time: opinions -- informed and otherwise -- are toxic in today's media environment.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:53 pm 
NYFS Staff

I think the issue is even further, Zack....whether or not a privately contracted employee in a public industry loses his right to speak his mind (whether or not we agree). Since it is such a publicly scrutinized entity (in the media as you pointed out), does that mean an employer can restrict speech. He was not caught in a DUI, or other morally reprehensible act, can he really be suspended for his comments.

What is bothersome to me is that Miami Marlins officials are able to suspend him for stating political views in favor of something unpopular...does this also play for conservative bosses who suspend me for public support of Barack Obama, or even against Tea Party officials/wealthy persons.

I would have thought his livelihood was protected from discrimination due to political viewpoints.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:26 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Jdawg: working in Korea, if I were to tell my students that the Kims are my heroes, it would be as serious problem (for legitimate reasons). The fact is that he's a role model who said overly positive things about someone in the wrong community to do so. In certain cases I think it goes beyond left and right, and my politics are no secret here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:46 pm 
NYFS Staff

northway wrote:
Jdawg: working in Korea, if I were to tell my students that the Kims are my heroes, it would be as serious problem (for legitimate reasons). The fact is that he's a role model who said overly positive things about someone in the wrong community to do so. In certain cases I think it goes beyond left and right, and my politics are no secret here.

What he said was insensitive, stupid and politically incorrect. Does that give them the right to suspend him? Fire him?

Personally, I think the suspension was a negotiated/controlled punishment through Ozzie and the Marlins management to help stave off the pitchforks, so it is a moot point.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:33 am 
Legend of NYFS

jdawginsc wrote:
northway wrote:

What he said was insensitive, stupid and politically incorrect. Does that give them the right to suspend him? Fire him?

Personally, I think the suspension was a negotiated/controlled punishment through Ozzie and the Marlins management to help stave off the pitchforks, so it is a moot point.

It seems like the suspension did what it was intended to. That said, I think they do have a right to suspend or fire him, if they please. If an employee in the public eye turns into a pariah of his own making, is an organization supposed to sit back and do nothing?