Switch to full style
Discuss MLB and everything baseball that's not Mets baseball.
Post a reply

Thank you Keith (Olbermann)

Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:52 pm

I normally can't stand him...but he nailed it here. The Derek Jetersteiner stuff is just too much. I guess it will segue nicely into the Ichiro farewell tour.

Re: Thank you Keith (Olbermann)

Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:54 am

Fantastic.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:57 am

beyond Fantastic

Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:59 am

beyond Fantastic

Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:38 am

I don't think he's saying anything that any of us haven't already thought (and he did go on a bit too long with the list of "better than Jeters" but the picture in the background of Jeter with Angel-wings cracked me up (bout 1:50 in).

Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:37 am

Just to update, with the Yankees on the precipice of elimination from wild card consideration, the Captain batted with two out in the ninth inning last night.

He struck out.

On three pitches.

Ballgame over.

Yankees lose.

Tragic number down to one

Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:28 pm

It's a solid point overall, but I do in fact like Jeter. I know he has never bashed with the best of em, but his numbers overall are pretty impressive for the type of hitter he was.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:57 pm

Spacetraveler wrote:It's a solid point overall, but I do in fact like Jeter. I know he has never bashed with the best of em, but his numbers overall are pretty impressive for the type of hitter he was.

I have no doubt that he will be a first ballot Hall of Famer and that he deserves it.

It's just that the whole thing has gotten so out of perspective.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:38 pm

I've never really understood the hate, he's a great player and the consummate Yankee. Baseball has been better for having had Derek Jeter playing it.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:01 pm

Chico wrote:
Spacetraveler wrote:It's a solid point overall, but I do in fact like Jeter. I know he has never bashed with the best of em, but his numbers overall are pretty impressive for the type of hitter he was.

I have no doubt that he will be a first ballot Hall of Famer and that he deserves it.

I don't think the proper response is to make ridiculous claims the other way, though (Graig Nettles? Really? Stop it).

This is funny in a "Haha, Yankees" kind of way, but its also not really true.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:05 pm

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Chico wrote:

I don't think the proper response is to make ridiculous claims the other way, though (Graig Nettles? Really? Stop it).

This is funny in a "Haha, Yankees" kind of way, but its also not really true.

Nettles has 65.7 career WAR, Jeter 73.6. It's not that far off.

I'm not quite sure what you think is a 'ridiculous claim' in this piece.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:18 pm

maxlongstreet wrote:
Nettles has 65.7 career WAR, Jeter 73.6. It's not that far off.

I'm not quite sure what you think is a 'ridiculous claim' in this piece.

He specifically noted "all-time great Yankees". Nettles played 11 seasons in the Bronx, accumulated 43.5 fWAR.

Thurmon Munson? Red Ruffing? ALEX RODRIGUEZ (really, who cares what he did on the field for the amount of absolute PR nightmare he will go down as versus what Jeter not only did on the field, but as far as a marketing piece for the organization and the countless millions of dollars he made them off it).

Unless we want to have this debate in a few years as to whether Edgardo Alfonzo and Darryl Strawberry were better Mets than David Wright, I'd suggest letting Jeter take his place, which is rightfully as a Hall of Famer and all-time great Yankee. There's really nothing wrong with those suggestions - he was a great player.
Post a reply