NYFS ny mets message boards
http://www.nyfuturestars.com/community/

Thank you Keith (Olbermann)
http://www.nyfuturestars.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=41359
Page 2 of 2

Author:  ilikeike29 [ Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Thank you Keith (Olbermann)

Derek Jeter has a 73.6 career WAR. He'll get >90% on the first ballot.

Kevin Brown had a 73.5 career WAR. He got 2.1% of the vote on his first and only time on the ballot.

Author:  AllWrightNow [ Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Thank you Keith (Olbermann)

Jeter gets overrated by the the 1920's type romanticism perpetuated by people who never saw Ruth/Mantle/DiMaggio including the media and ridiculously underrated by people who resent the romanticism and accept a subjective, made-up regular-season stat (WAR) as encompassing gospel. And for all this talk about Jeter's bad fielding, anyone remember a big error he made in the postseason?

As far as rank in the pantheon of Yankees, if you're putting Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, DiMaggio and Berra above Jeter, no issues there. Bill Dickey, Whitey Ford, Rivera - you can have an argument. I'm sorry, I just can't take Greg Nettles and Red Ruffing seriously no matter what made up stat you want to throw out. Or a juiced up AROD lol.

And btw while I don't agree with most of Olbermann's rant (entertaining as it is), I DO agree that Jeter and the Yankees have gone way overboard promoting and selling his retirement. It's beneath the image he's carefully cultivated for most of his career but because he's so teflon few call him out on it.

Author:  MarkJohnson>You [ Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Thank you Keith (Olbermann)

ilikeike29 wrote:
Derek Jeter has a 73.6 career WAR. He'll get >90% on the first ballot.

Kevin Brown had a 73.5 career WAR. He got 2.1% of the vote on his first and only time on the ballot.


Thats a Kevin Brown issue, not a Derek Jeter issue.

Unless your argument is Mike Piazza and his 63.5 career WAR has no business anywhere near the HOF.

Author:  northway [ Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Thank you Keith (Olbermann)

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
ilikeike29 wrote:
Derek Jeter has a 73.6 career WAR. He'll get >90% on the first ballot.

Kevin Brown had a 73.5 career WAR. He got 2.1% of the vote on his first and only time on the ballot.


Thats a Kevin Brown issue, not a Derek Jeter issue.

Unless your argument is Mike Piazza and his 63.5 career WAR has no business anywhere near the HOF.


It's also a WAR issue. Even WAR proponents are quick to take a step back and say that it's way overused at this point.

Word on the street is that the Captain did what the Captain has always done and knocked in a game winner?

Author:  ilikeike29 [ Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Thank you Keith (Olbermann)

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
ilikeike29 wrote:
Derek Jeter has a 73.6 career WAR. He'll get >90% on the first ballot.

Kevin Brown had a 73.5 career WAR. He got 2.1% of the vote on his first and only time on the ballot.


Thats a Kevin Brown issue, not a Derek Jeter issue.

Unless your argument is Mike Piazza and his 63.5 career WAR has no business anywhere near the HOF.

I think Brown should be in the HOF. So, yes it is a Brown issue.

And no, I do not think Brown had as great of a career as Jeter had.

Author:  HeyNowHK [ Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Thank you Keith (Olbermann)

6th all time in hits and 10th in runs pretty much seals it. Sure, longevity played a role but one has to perform to stay in the regular lineup for 20 years. I have no issue with his career being lauded. He had a great career. Some of what has been going on is over the top but that is the Yankees trying to cash in.

Author:  northway [ Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Thank you Keith (Olbermann)

What else did the Yankees have to sell tickets this year?

Page 2 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/