Switch to full style
Discuss MLB and everything baseball that's not Mets baseball.
Post a reply

Old Timers' Committee Strikes Out

Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:31 pm

They selected no one. Good freakin' lord.

@ChrisCotillo · 23m 23 minutes ago
#HallofFame announcement: Golden Era Committee did not elect anyone. Dick Allen and Tony Oliva fell one short, Jim Kaat two short.

unreal. Oliva and Kaat both belong in.

and of course no Gil either. :x

Re: Old Timers' Committee Strikes Out

Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:32 pm

Yeah but last year they elected a bunch of managers!!!

Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:49 pm

The Hall of Fame is completely effed up now. This is something they got right.

8)

Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:01 pm

R Nitelight wrote:The Hall of Fame is completely effed up now. This is something they got right.

8)

Kaat had 69 war. I know it's a different era but threw 180 CGs, and over 200 innings 14 times and 363 IP over age 40… all the GGs. come on. I always thought he got a bum deal on the HOF. Oliva was really good too but there are a bunch right in his range that would have to go in if he did.

Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:14 am

I'm a big fan of getting a bunch of snubs into the HOF, but I'm not sure Katt or Oliva deserve it. Oliva was great for 8 seasons and average for 3 more. 140 OPS over those 8 years. Nifty bat, right fielder, not a glove guy and didn't do it long enough. I'm leaning towards no, but I'm open to being wrong.

Kaat, again, I know the games and innings aren't matched today but I'm not sure I see a hall of famer in there. Age 38-44 he had a negative war.

and ERA+ isn't perfect, but Kaat

8 times he topped a 110 ERA+
6 times, topped 120
3 times topped (or equaled) 130
once topped 140

lets compare that to Jerry Koosman, a very good, but I've not heard him called a HOF pitcher very often.

Koosman
8 times he topped a 110 era+
6 times, topped 120
3 times topped or equaled 130
twice topped 140 - Kinda similar.

Koos also (according to baseball reference) has a better career war than Kaat. But Kaat started 40 games a season more often and started 898 games to Koosman's 612 and 180 complete games to Koosman's 140.

I don't object to either guy getting in, but I'm hesitant to say either guy was a clear and obvious choice - like Blylevan was for example. (not sure if he was old timers or just a very late regular votee).
Post a reply