MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Dusty Baker: New Nationals Manager
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:01 am 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:58 pm
Posts: 3189
According to Jon Heyman:

Quote:
Nats people were said to be leaning toward Baker by late Sunday, though by that point multiple reports suggested the job was already Black's. Black was given an offer several days ago, but word is, it was a very lowball bid, and the sides had been going back and forth since Thursday.

Black was said to still be in contact, exchanging proposals over the weekend with Nats people. However, there apparently was never agreement on a deal with Black, the ex-Padres manager.

Baker apears to have gotten back into the ballgame by Monday, and sources suggest the Nats are for now at least totally focused on Baker, the former Giants, Cubs and Reds manager.


So, they essentially replaced Matt Williams with a better-known Matt Williams.

Mattingly in Florida, Baker in Washington -- this division might trip over itself enough for the Mets to maintain status quo this offseason and still breeze into the playoffs.

_________________
jpkmets wrote:
Just like people who don't understand why Blood on the Tracks is awesome or who don't like sam cooke's voice -- i'll never get people who don't love Pedro Martinez.

And I'm kind of glad about that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dusty Baker: New Nationals Manager
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:31 am 
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:56 am
Posts: 12685
Location: hanging with Tony B in the clubhouse
Dusty will get that team to the playoffs next year.

_________________
Anyone who quotes profits of a baseball club is missing the point. Under generally accepted accounting principles, I can turn a $4 million profit into a $2 million loss, and I can get every national accounting firm to agree with me. - Paul Beeston, CEO of the Toronto Blue Jays


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dusty Baker: New Nationals Manager
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:30 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm
Posts: 59186
Nutsacjac wrote:
Dusty will get that team to the playoffs next year.


If the idea is "Just don't be Matt Williams" I think we could say they could've just rotated player managers day by day, saved some cash, and got to the playoffs.

They will be better on paper than the Mets entering next year, barring a crazy good offseason for us, so this should be the expectation, not an accomplishment.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dusty Baker: New Nationals Manager
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:48 am 
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:56 am
Posts: 12685
Location: hanging with Tony B in the clubhouse
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
If the idea is "Just don't be Matt Williams" I think we could say they could've just rotated player managers day by day, saved some cash, and got to the playoffs.

They will be better on paper than the Mets entering next year, barring a crazy good offseason for us, so this should be the expectation, not an accomplishment.


With all of the turmoil in Washington last year, Baker seems like a really good fit.

Say what you will about his in-game management skills, he's proven himself to be adept when it comes to managing personalities and dealing with his players. I wouldn't pick Dusty to manage a decisive playoff game but if you're looking for someone to cajole a talented (and dysfunctional) team into being a playoff contender you could do a whole lot worse. A whole lot worse.

_________________
Anyone who quotes profits of a baseball club is missing the point. Under generally accepted accounting principles, I can turn a $4 million profit into a $2 million loss, and I can get every national accounting firm to agree with me. - Paul Beeston, CEO of the Toronto Blue Jays


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dusty Baker: New Nationals Manager
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:31 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm
Posts: 59186
Nutsacjac wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
If the idea is "Just don't be Matt Williams" I think we could say they could've just rotated player managers day by day, saved some cash, and got to the playoffs.

They will be better on paper than the Mets entering next year, barring a crazy good offseason for us, so this should be the expectation, not an accomplishment.


With all of the turmoil in Washington last year, Baker seems like a really good fit.

Say what you will about his in-game management skills, he's proven himself to be adept when it comes to managing personalities and dealing with his players. I wouldn't pick Dusty to manage a decisive playoff game but if you're looking for someone to cajole a talented (and dysfunctional) team into being a playoff contender you could do a whole lot worse. A whole lot worse.


Thats fine, but this is as tepid an endorsement as possible.

"Stay out of the way of natural talent" seems like a great gig for any salary.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dusty Baker: New Nationals Manager
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:01 pm 
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:56 am
Posts: 12685
Location: hanging with Tony B in the clubhouse
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Thats fine, but this is as tepid an endorsement as possible.

"Stay out of the way of natural talent" seems like a great gig for any salary.


I recall Earl Weaver once saying that managers do not win games, they only lose them, and usually before the season or a game even starts. I think there's something to that but I concede that it's easy to lose games when you mess up managing your pitchers and lineup which Baker does from time to time. Baseball manager is a very esoteric position to describe.

_________________
Anyone who quotes profits of a baseball club is missing the point. Under generally accepted accounting principles, I can turn a $4 million profit into a $2 million loss, and I can get every national accounting firm to agree with me. - Paul Beeston, CEO of the Toronto Blue Jays


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dusty Baker: New Nationals Manager
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:00 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 23737
Location: Pittsburgh
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Nutsacjac wrote:
Dusty will get that team to the playoffs next year.


If the idea is "Just don't be Matt Williams" I think we could say they could've just rotated player managers day by day, saved some cash, and got to the playoffs.

They will be better on paper than the Mets entering next year, barring a crazy good offseason for us, so this should be the expectation, not an accomplishment.


I can't remember a single manager in recent memory who seemed to be simultaneously that dumb and that incompetent with people.

_________________
Baseball has a way of ripping your ❤️ out, stabbing it, putting it back in your chest, then healing itself just in time for Spring Training. - Thor


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dusty Baker: New Nationals Manager
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:42 pm 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:58 pm
Posts: 3189
northway wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Nutsacjac wrote:
Dusty will get that team to the playoffs next year.


If the idea is "Just don't be Matt Williams" I think we could say they could've just rotated player managers day by day, saved some cash, and got to the playoffs.

They will be better on paper than the Mets entering next year, barring a crazy good offseason for us, so this should be the expectation, not an accomplishment.


I can't remember a single manager in recent memory who seemed to be simultaneously that dumb and that incompetent with people.


Dallas Green jumps immediately to the forefront of my mind.

_________________
jpkmets wrote:
Just like people who don't understand why Blood on the Tracks is awesome or who don't like sam cooke's voice -- i'll never get people who don't love Pedro Martinez.

And I'm kind of glad about that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dusty Baker: New Nationals Manager
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:56 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 23737
Location: Pittsburgh
a2d wrote:
Dallas Green jumps immediately to the forefront of my mind.


I was ten when he stopped managing, and I was kind of dumb and incompetent with people myself at that age. Generally they're either/or/both though.

_________________
Baseball has a way of ripping your ❤️ out, stabbing it, putting it back in your chest, then healing itself just in time for Spring Training. - Thor


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


SUPPORT NYFS VIA OUR NETWORK OF SITES: FIND AN AA MEETING | FIND A JOB NEAR YOU | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | HOME REPAIR CONTRACTOR BUILDER AC HEAT | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT AND RESOURCES | THE SOULCIALISTS LIVE LOCAL PIANO MUSIC TREASURE COAST | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT NEAR YOU | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GOLF BEACH RESORT HOTELS RESTAURANTS BED BREAKFAST | HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | METRO BUS TRAIN SUBWAY AIRPORT HELIPORT | VETERAN TIPS CRAFT DIY RECIPES | ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS NEAR YOU | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL HEALTHY HEART DIABETIC RESTAURANTS AND STORES | CHURCH TEMPLE MOSQUE OR PLACE OF WORSHIP NEAR YOU | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB | SUICIDE HOTLINE DANIELLE COLBERT PHOTO MUG SHOT | © Untraditional Media

The%20Soulcialists