Switch to full style
Discuss MLB and everything baseball that's not Mets baseball.
Post a reply

Cubs off to a hot start.

Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:25 am

Not a cub fan, but I don't hate them. They're off to a nutty start though after 16 games. 12-4, 97 runs scored, 37 runs given up (after today's 16-0 no hitter).

They have a 60 run differential. 11 teams in baseball haven't scored 60 runs. (mets among those 11).

Solid start.

Re: Cubs off to a hot start.

Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:31 am

LTKfRGM wrote:Not a cub fan, but I don't hate them. They're off to a nutty start though after 16 games. 12-4, 97 runs scored, 37 runs given up (after today's 16-0 no hitter).

They have a 60 run differential. 11 teams in baseball haven't scored 60 runs. (mets among those 11).

Solid start.

But, as Rich Coutinho points out, they hit less HRs than the Mets last year. So he doesn't get why everybody thinks its Mets pitching vs. Cub hitting. (follow that logic for a second...)

(also fails to mention that Cubs pitching was better by every measure than Mets').

Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:24 pm

The pieces of the puzzle are:
Cubs bats top 3rd (7th highest RC+) - Mets right behind in 9th
Cubs arms near the top (2nd in FIP behind the Metropolitans)

Difference maker: Cubs have the 3rd rated defense; Mets 30th. This will even out. The Cubs defense isn't that good and the Mets isn't that bad.

Related: the Cubs pitching is outperforming its FIP by half a run (2.14 to 2.68), while the Mets staff is underperforming by more than a half run (3.08 to 2.37).

Scary thing about the Cubs is that the only guy really hitting for them is Fowler. When others pick up they could be tough. :shock:

Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:13 pm

HeyNowHK wrote:The pieces of the puzzle are:

Difference maker: Cubs have the 3rd rated defense; Mets 30th. This will even out. The Cubs defense isn't that good and the Mets isn't that bad.

Related: the Cubs pitching is outperforming its FIP by half a run (2.14 to 2.68), while the Mets staff is underperforming by more than a half run (3.08 to 2.37).

Scary thing about the Cubs is that the only guy really hitting for them is Fowler. When others pick up they could be tough. :shock:

I also don't think the NL Central will be as tough as it was last year, so they should have an easier time padding their win total.

Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:15 pm

hotlyds87 wrote:

I also don't think the NL Central will be as tough as it was last year, so they should have an easier time padding their win total.

Keep in mind the Cubs won 96 games last year, got better on paper, and the division houses 3 of the top 5 teams in the National League. "Padding" is not really an appropriate adjective here, I don't think.

Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:30 pm

Imagine if the Astros were still in the NL Central

Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:56 pm

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Keep in mind the Cubs won 96 games last year, got better on paper, and the division houses 3 of the top 5 teams in the National League. "Padding" is not really an appropriate adjective here, I don't think.

I don't think the Cards or Pirates are as good this year - and the Brewers/Reds are just as bad.

Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:20 pm

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
hotlyds87 wrote:

Well they did take a couple of the Cardinals' key players (Heyward, Lackey) so clearly the Cardinals aren't what they were last year. Pittsburgh seems to have plateaued a little too at this point.

But yeah they only get so many games against the Reds and Brewers. And the Cubs have beaten some good teams early too.
Post a reply