Switch to full style
Discuss MLB and everything baseball that's not Mets baseball.
Post a reply

Giancarlo Stanton - injury prone/overrated?

Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:11 pm

Don't get me wrong, when the guy is healthy and at his best, he's the most feared slugger in baseball. And yes, he's had at least one injury that was just bad luck.

But at what point does the perception of his value drop?

He's going to miss the rest of this season and will be 27 next year. Over the past 4 seasons he has averaged 112 games played, 24 doubles, 30 homers, 78 RBI and 5 steals. I know those are fantasy numbers to most of you. He's also hit .269/.363/.547 and an OPS+ 147 which is great of course. His top WAR seasons are 6.2, 5.5 and 4.3. The other 4 seasons he finished with less than 3.

He is still young and has a chance to shake the injury bug and be a Hall of Fame player, but if he's not staying on the field he certainly isn't helping.

He's due $14.5 million in 2017 and is guaranteed $295 million the following 10 seasons. Think the Fish try to trade him? Will anyone take on that contract in its entirety? If he hit the open market after 2017, would be get a deal like that?

Re: Giancarlo Stanton - injury prone/overrated?

Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:38 pm

It doesn't look like a good contract at all right now, especially if he stops hitting in his early to mid 30s, which a lot of guys do.

I think he'd get close to 200 million as a free agent, but not $295.

Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:23 pm

Every contract of more than 3 years is a bad contract.

8)

Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:28 am

You should never use a megacontract to prove a point, and I'm pretty sure that's exactly what the Fish did with Stanton.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:46 pm

He's definitely put himself back on the road to Cooperstown this year. Health + juiced ball and he's 1 homer shy of 60.
Post a reply