Switch to full style
Discuss MLB and everything baseball that's not Mets baseball.
Post a reply

Bryce Harper underachiever?

Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:59 pm

I know the talk has been about Harper becoming the first 400 Million dollar ballplayer, but with the exception of his 2015 season which was phenomenal, has he really been the monster player everyone thought he'd be? I mean he's good no doubt, but just not the be all and end all of baseball IMO. Maybe it's because he's so young still and has room to develop. But he'll potentially be a FA in 2019 and right now I just don't see him as being worthy of being the highest paid player ever.

Thoughts?

Re: Bryce Harper underachiever?

Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:37 pm

Steve The Original wrote:I know the talk has been about Harper becoming the first 400 Million dollar ballplayer, but with the exception of his 2015 season which was phenomenal, has he really been the monster player everyone thought he'd be? I mean he's good no doubt, but just not the be all and end all of baseball IMO. Maybe it's because he's so young still and has room to develop. But he'll potentially be a FA in 2019 and right now I just don't see him as being worthy of being the highest paid player ever.

Thoughts?

I think the assumption is he will have similar years to 2015 the next couple years and then get that giant payday. I find it weird because he'll have been a full-time player for 7 full seasons - how many players get better after that many ABs? In the post steroid era it really doesn't happen, most guys break down physically, and he's run into quite a few walls already in his day.

Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:48 am

I think there's a good chance he gets the money, but that ultimately he probably won't be worth it. He plays a really physical game and is rather injury prone. As with Stanton, I feel like if you sign him for 10+ years you could end up having a guy who barely plays towards the end of the deal - or even in the middle. I'm glad that the Mets won't be the guys to give him that deal.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:22 am

Let me know when someone signs a big contract and earns every penny.

8)
Post a reply