MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jets 20-21 Season Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:11 pm 
Veteran Presence

No one else has bothered to document their exploits, so readers will be subject to the whims of this particular author, who watched approximately 50% of the snaps while mostly inebriated in way or another. I will do no research to supplement this thread. All stats are a representation in my mind of their record, which was 2-14.

Sam Darnold started some games at QB and threw for maybe like 1,600 yards or like 110-150 per game and probably didn't throw 15 touchdowns and had a bunch of picks and had their most athletic looking run all season against Denver(?) or some other game they played and lost where he rule-juked a guy or two on a not designed scramble for like 50 yards. He maybe separated his shoulder in that game but I don't think it was that game but whatever game it was, he finished it and then missed a couple games after it because he had a part of his body dangling from where it was supposed to exist.

The O-Line was completely new yet still the same ineffective unit more designed to exist than be productive. Bechton, the one building block, missed some time too-- the brutality spares few in this game, especially few Jets. The rest were dinged up all year as well, and that probably offered opportunity to other ineffective offensive lineman to get some PT, so I surmise its not all bad. Experiments that fail still can teach.

The WRs had some guys run routes. The running backs took some handoffs. The 5th round punter punted punts. In all, the offense worked exactly as it was designed. Its design was not one to achieve yards, first downs, or touchdowns. It was designed to fail and it did. Perfectly.

The defense's best player and most expensive decided it was better to sit the season out. The second best one was playing to get paid and deserves to be, and probably will take the Jets money, and then decide he would also rather not play. And these two guys are only the best players on defense because the other best player was traded before the season because he decided he did not want to play for the Jets unless they paid him way more money. Time is a snake eating its tail.

The once and future pass rush still has yet to pull the sword from the stone. I didn't watch Gastineux when he played and am kind of glad I didn't because he looks like a jerk and I'm pretty sure he crossed the line, picket and figurative. But he sacked QB's and I don't think any Jet sacked a QB this year. 5 times tops, I'd wager. That did not stop the blitzing, however. False pressures quickly slanted to destruction or picked up and allowing leaky coverages failed stop the vertical tries. Rarely did the Jets defense offer any resistance. This led to an overdue firing of a fake tough guy DC who bolstered a shotty resume by whooping up untalented QBs and placing bounties on legendary ones who still accumulated glory while he stewed in revenge and bittered rather than become better than he once was. Never coach again Gregg Williams. Enjoy retirement. And may Quinnen adapt to a more suitable role and perhaps unsheath a long-sheathed sword.

I can't remember any punt returns or kick off returns. They happened though.

Going forward, they hope to build off these two wins. They will hire a coaching staff, because not sure there was one this year. And that brings me to the point of this post. Winning is never bad for a franchise. Do not despair winning. Embrace winning games. If your franchise wins, that will help, in the short term and long term. Celebrate every win and never forget that is the only path and can only be achieved on the field. This franchise plays to win the game. At least, for a second, that was clear, and it appeased the Football Gods, and they answered. Maybe these two wins will act as another offering. Save us from thy wicked Lawrence.