MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Official Jets 2021 Season thread
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:03 am 
Legend of NYFS

Anyone wanna talk football?

I liked what I saw of Zach Wilson in pre-season. Looking forward to 4-7 wins this year. (It's an improvement)

Post subject: Re: Official Jets 2021 Season thread
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:30 am 
Veteran Presence

I’ll talk some football.

Maybe the Jets have something in Wilson. I was pretty down when they drafted him, and would have taken Fields or Lance, but I’m not a football evaluator and can barely talk in complete sentences and enjoy early Taylor Swift albums. So, maybe I’m not the best judge of talent. He’s looked good…in limited preseason action…against other teams 2nd and 3rd stringers. But good is good and he’s been good, but I still contend my fondness for Fearless and T-Swizzles’ self-titled is warranted.

And it's a sad picture, the final blow hits you
Somebody else gets what you wanted again
And you know it's all the same, another time and place
Repeating history and you’re getting sick of it

Maybe it’s time, though, time to believe in everything they do. Joe Douglas has been slowly accumulating players, his players, and coaches, and the foundation is here. The team should be solid along the offensive line. They have better weapons—actual, verifiable offensive weapons. The defense has work to do but defense can be coached up and I’m also of the opinion defense is not very important in today’s NFL. Sure, it’s important. But, not really. Guys are gonna get open and the rules basically gift touchdowns, so it’s mostly about the offense. I like the idea of ripping off the 9ers and stealing their playbook. They know how to get players in space. And it’s pretty different seeing not only that, but players in space who can actually do something after getting in space. It’s been a long time since Santana Moss and Laveranues and Shirley Coles. I’m hoping Corey Davis and Elijah Moore can be big parts of a competent offense. Besides that, the run game looks to open by committee, which always never works, but is countered by the aforementioned stolen zone blocking scheme, which always never fails. At least it’s not Frank Gore. There is at least a potential path to success.

The division has the potential to be very hard fought. Buffalo is the favorite, and that feels wrong to me, because it’s Buffalo and even when they’re good, they are wide right of being really good. And Cole Beasley will give the whole roster COVID and complain his freedom is being infringed upon and I’m sorry but I’m just not buying Josh Allen suddenly dropped, “derp” from his football vocabulary. He might be bigger, but the Patriots are faster and never scared. Ok, not faster, but for sure never scared. Mac Jones is a rookie QB who will be entering his 10th season as an NFL starter, and they are somehow returning 20 defensive starters from 2 years ago, and decided the salary cap was not real so they added two starters on offense for every position as well. Just when you think Belicheck can’t Belicheck anymore, he goes and Belichecks on everyone. It doesn’t even matter if it works. It’s genius. The walls that he puts up to hold him back have fell down. Which is exactly what the Dolphins’ brain trust did not do. They are doing everything right to build a team, yet will fail utterly to achieve any relevance, and be fired in a year. It’s a shame 8-8 is impossible this year, because they are a .500 team personified. They had the perfect season set up last year with Fitzmagic as the starter. They could have left him in and failed to make the playoffs when he no doubt imploded. Instead, they decided to pigeonhole Tua as a mid season replacement and start the franchise QB of the future watch early. He struggled, because usually QBs need to be able to throw more than 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage, and sank their playoff chances, which could have easily been done by Fitz, and now they are stuck with a noodle armed QB, no playoffs last year, and a ticking clock to “compete” this year. If Tua flames out, you don’t get too-a many more chances. You get fired. Which was avoidable if this was Tua’s first season. Instead of two years and no playoffs and a third season to prove yourself, you get two years and no playoffs and fired. Amazing job building the team and the next GM will thank you for the 8 first round picks in every draft for the next 10 years. Can you see it now?

I expect the Jets to win about 7 games this year. It’s a step in the right direction. And I’ll sing hallelujah, hallelujah.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:09 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Well, having watched a few downs with this young Jet team (youngest team in the league, most under 25 starters in the league) . . . I'm going to adjust my prediction to the low end. I said 4-7. 4 looks about right. 3 wouldn't surprise me. Maybe they tighten things up and win 5, but this is a bad team.

Wilson looks OK though, if only they'd get him some protection and reliable dump the ball to receiver.

That other QB, Darnold . . . his name sounds familiar. He looks pretty darn good to me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:28 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Welp, week 2 was disapointing. Having watched the game, I don't think Wilson was as bad as his stats. He made some rookie mistakes underestimating the skill of the defense and one of the interceptions I think the wide receiver could have had. He throws well, mostly and certainly knows how to move around and run a bit. I'm not sure he'll ever be an all-pro type, but I think he can be solid in a year or two.

Rex Ryan is even more optimistic than me, and I hope he's right.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/re ... d=msedgntp