MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Eli Manning
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:43 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Franchise Player

Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:59 am
Posts: 3699
Location: My basement.
So, remember those Tony Romo vs. Eli Manning arguments? :lol: :lol: :lol:

He's really really really good. I was dead wrong about him.

_________________
Omar Little for GM!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eli Manning
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:21 pm 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Historian

Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:48 pm
Posts: 4467
Location: Darlington County
smb wrote:
So, remember those Tony Romo vs. Eli Manning arguments? :lol: :lol: :lol:

He's really really really good. I was dead wrong about him.


When those arguments were going on, Romo was the far better QB. Remember, Eli led the league in interceptions and fumbles in the same year - let's not revise history here. He was quite awful. As a Cowboy fan, being fair, it's obvious that Romo has regressed (terrible coaching) and Eli has improved (great coaching). Still, it could be argued that Romo is the better QB. I'd like to see what he could do if he was well coached - meaning in an offense that took advantage of its strengths.

Romo is the Cowboy version of Jose Reyes - he's been great at times, extremely talented, but we are looking for more. But, like Reyes, if this is what he is, it's still dang good.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Eli Manning
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:32 am 
User avatar
Offline
Manager

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:32 pm
Posts: 6385
Genmet wrote:
smb wrote:
So, remember those Tony Romo vs. Eli Manning arguments? :lol: :lol: :lol:

He's really really really good. I was dead wrong about him.


When those arguments were going on, Romo was the far better QB. Remember, Eli led the league in interceptions and fumbles in the same year - let's not revise history here. He was quite awful. As a Cowboy fan, being fair, it's obvious that Romo has regressed (terrible coaching) and Eli has improved (great coaching). Still, it could be argued that Romo is the better QB. I'd like to see what he could do if he was well coached - meaning in an offense that took advantage of its strengths.

Romo is the Cowboy version of Jose Reyes - he's been great at times, extremely talented, but we are looking for more. But, like Reyes, if this is what he is, it's still dang good.





child please!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:36 am
Posts: 42032
Location: islandia
i just hope he's ok. they say it's a bruise to his heel. i hope thats all and he can play. eli is an elite qb now. he is playing fantastic football. the interception today was on a perfect throw to manningham. it hit him in the stomach and bouced to the chiefs player. easily could have had 4 td's and 0 interceptions. he is playing great!

_________________
"Here comes the heartache The move out day
Excuses for my friends
Here comes the reasons I have to justify
It's better in the end"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:15 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:59 pm
Posts: 8127
Location: Land of the Nats and Redskins
This article is from a few years ago but is now more relevant than ever:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/081007&sportCat=nfl

Quote:
Well, ponder this: Eli Manning is now a better quarterback than Peyton Manning. At the current rate, his career achievements will at least match, and perhaps surpass, his big brother's.

Four games into his fifth season, Eli is 44-30 as a starter and has a Super Bowl ring. At the same point in his career, Peyton was 35-35 and had not won a postseason game. In terms of passing stats, the two players are approximately the same. In terms of leadership, Eli won the Super Bowl in his fourth season with a team whose personnel was so undistinguished, not one of the 16 sets of expert predictions ESPN.com ran before the 2007 season even had the Giants making the playoffs, let alone winning the Super Bowl. On Sunday, both Manning brothers recorded monster wins, and both played well. Eli achieved close to perfection -- he was 19-of-25 for 267 yards, with two touchdowns and no interceptions. His perfect passing made who-dat backup receiver Domenik Hixon (see below) look like a star, and his leadership skills inspired the who-dat Giants offensive line -- quick, how many of them can you name without peeking? -- to play like the New England offensive line of 2007. Stretching back to last season, the Giants have won eight straight games, and this season's 127-49 scoring margin over their opponents is spectacular. If football stays popular for a thousand years, Eli's escape from four tacklers on that last-minute Super Bowl scoring drive will always be one of the sport's signature plays. Peyton is great, and a near-lock for Canton. Eli may be bound for the same place, with his bust in a slightly nicer corner.


Now, obviously some things have changed such as the Giants offensive line getting accolades and the emergence of Steve Smith, but the rest of it, specifically the passing results ring as true now as they did then.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:23 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Fan Favorite

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:12 am
Posts: 1536
Eli Manning get treated like Rodney Dangerfield, no respect.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:01 pm 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Hall of Famer

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:54 am
Posts: 5447
Location: Walking Distance
I'm almost hoping he doesn't start. I don't think we need to risk him hurting himself more when we're playing Oakland at home. I don't want this to be a trap game, but if he has to miss a game this year, I'm pretty sure this is the perfect one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:36 pm 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Historian

Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:48 pm
Posts: 4467
Location: Darlington County
Hilltop wrote:
This article is from a few years ago but is now more relevant than ever:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/081007&sportCat=nfl

Quote:
Well, ponder this: Eli Manning is now a better quarterback than Peyton Manning. At the current rate, his career achievements will at least match, and perhaps surpass, his big brother's.

Four games into his fifth season, Eli is 44-30 as a starter and has a Super Bowl ring. At the same point in his career, Peyton was 35-35 and had not won a postseason game. In terms of passing stats, the two players are approximately the same. In terms of leadership, Eli won the Super Bowl in his fourth season with a team whose personnel was so undistinguished, not one of the 16 sets of expert predictions ESPN.com ran before the 2007 season even had the Giants making the playoffs, let alone winning the Super Bowl. On Sunday, both Manning brothers recorded monster wins, and both played well. Eli achieved close to perfection -- he was 19-of-25 for 267 yards, with two touchdowns and no interceptions. His perfect passing made who-dat backup receiver Domenik Hixon (see below) look like a star, and his leadership skills inspired the who-dat Giants offensive line -- quick, how many of them can you name without peeking? -- to play like the New England offensive line of 2007. Stretching back to last season, the Giants have won eight straight games, and this season's 127-49 scoring margin over their opponents is spectacular. If football stays popular for a thousand years, Eli's escape from four tacklers on that last-minute Super Bowl scoring drive will always be one of the sport's signature plays. Peyton is great, and a near-lock for Canton. Eli may be bound for the same place, with his bust in a slightly nicer corner.


Now, obviously some things have changed such as the Giants offensive line getting accolades and the emergence of Steve Smith, but the rest of it, specifically the passing results ring as true now as they did then.


This is pure myth. Peyton's numbers were far better in his first 4 years. Just as an example, Eli threw 77 TD's with 93 interceptions while Peyton had 111 TD's with 81 ints. Eli's top completion % was 58. Peyton was over 62 three times in his first 4 years. This is not to bash Eli, but I'm amazed that this author actually looked at the stats of both going into their 5th season and found them even remotely comparable.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:01 pm 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:43 pm
Posts: 41318
Genmet wrote:
Hilltop wrote:
This article is from a few years ago but is now more relevant than ever:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/081007&sportCat=nfl

Quote:
Well, ponder this: Eli Manning is now a better quarterback than Peyton Manning. At the current rate, his career achievements will at least match, and perhaps surpass, his big brother's.

Four games into his fifth season, Eli is 44-30 as a starter and has a Super Bowl ring. At the same point in his career, Peyton was 35-35 and had not won a postseason game. In terms of passing stats, the two players are approximately the same. In terms of leadership, Eli won the Super Bowl in his fourth season with a team whose personnel was so undistinguished, not one of the 16 sets of expert predictions ESPN.com ran before the 2007 season even had the Giants making the playoffs, let alone winning the Super Bowl. On Sunday, both Manning brothers recorded monster wins, and both played well. Eli achieved close to perfection -- he was 19-of-25 for 267 yards, with two touchdowns and no interceptions. His perfect passing made who-dat backup receiver Domenik Hixon (see below) look like a star, and his leadership skills inspired the who-dat Giants offensive line -- quick, how many of them can you name without peeking? -- to play like the New England offensive line of 2007. Stretching back to last season, the Giants have won eight straight games, and this season's 127-49 scoring margin over their opponents is spectacular. If football stays popular for a thousand years, Eli's escape from four tacklers on that last-minute Super Bowl scoring drive will always be one of the sport's signature plays. Peyton is great, and a near-lock for Canton. Eli may be bound for the same place, with his bust in a slightly nicer corner.


Now, obviously some things have changed such as the Giants offensive line getting accolades and the emergence of Steve Smith, but the rest of it, specifically the passing results ring as true now as they did then.


This is pure myth. Peyton's numbers were far better in his first 4 years. Just as an example, Eli threw 77 TD's with 93 interceptions while Peyton had 111 TD's with 81 ints. Eli's top completion % was 58. Peyton was over 62 three times in his first 4 years. This is not to bash Eli, but I'm amazed that this author actually looked at the stats of both going into their 5th season and found them even remotely comparable.


lol, Eli had 77 TD's and 64 INT through his 4th year ---

for someone criticizing numbers, you might as well not be off by thirty INTS

With his 29 TDs and 10 INTs in his last year and 1/4 -- he's at 76 for his CAREER on ints

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/s ... yerId=5526

the pure myth is ascribing 27 more INTS than he's thrown in his career to his first 4 years.

poorly produced

_________________
It's all in the reflexes.

~Jack Burton


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:04 pm 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:43 pm
Posts: 41318
as for completion percentage and yards, the argument will be eternally stupid to me -- how anyone compares a NE QB who plays half his games at Giants Stadium to one who gets ideal conditions for his home starts is just silly to me.

_________________
It's all in the reflexes.

~Jack Burton


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:56 pm 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Historian

Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:48 pm
Posts: 4467
Location: Darlington County
jpkmets wrote:
Genmet wrote:
Hilltop wrote:
This article is from a few years ago but is now more relevant than ever:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/081007&sportCat=nfl

Quote:
Well, ponder this: Eli Manning is now a better quarterback than Peyton Manning. At the current rate, his career achievements will at least match, and perhaps surpass, his big brother's.

Four games into his fifth season, Eli is 44-30 as a starter and has a Super Bowl ring. At the same point in his career, Peyton was 35-35 and had not won a postseason game. In terms of passing stats, the two players are approximately the same. In terms of leadership, Eli won the Super Bowl in his fourth season with a team whose personnel was so undistinguished, not one of the 16 sets of expert predictions ESPN.com ran before the 2007 season even had the Giants making the playoffs, let alone winning the Super Bowl. On Sunday, both Manning brothers recorded monster wins, and both played well. Eli achieved close to perfection -- he was 19-of-25 for 267 yards, with two touchdowns and no interceptions. His perfect passing made who-dat backup receiver Domenik Hixon (see below) look like a star, and his leadership skills inspired the who-dat Giants offensive line -- quick, how many of them can you name without peeking? -- to play like the New England offensive line of 2007. Stretching back to last season, the Giants have won eight straight games, and this season's 127-49 scoring margin over their opponents is spectacular. If football stays popular for a thousand years, Eli's escape from four tacklers on that last-minute Super Bowl scoring drive will always be one of the sport's signature plays. Peyton is great, and a near-lock for Canton. Eli may be bound for the same place, with his bust in a slightly nicer corner.


Now, obviously some things have changed such as the Giants offensive line getting accolades and the emergence of Steve Smith, but the rest of it, specifically the passing results ring as true now as they did then.


This is pure myth. Peyton's numbers were far better in his first 4 years. Just as an example, Eli threw 77 TD's with 93 interceptions while Peyton had 111 TD's with 81 ints. Eli's top completion % was 58. Peyton was over 62 three times in his first 4 years. This is not to bash Eli, but I'm amazed that this author actually looked at the stats of both going into their 5th season and found them even remotely comparable.


lol, Eli had 77 TD's and 64 INT through his 4th year ---

for someone criticizing numbers, you might as well not be off by thirty INTS

With his 29 TDs and 10 INTs in his last year and 1/4 -- he's at 76 for his CAREER on ints

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/s ... yerId=5526

the pure myth is ascribing 27 more INTS than he's thrown in his career to his first 4 years.

poorly produced


Obviously my mistake - I tallied from the sacks number, which was next to Int's.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:03 am 
User avatar
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:59 pm
Posts: 8127
Location: Land of the Nats and Redskins
Just for the record, my point was not to say Eli is better than Peyton or that even they are comparable. I was simply trying to say that Eli is very underrated and has been pretty much his whole career. And no, this again is not about Eli vs Romo or Big Ben or Phillip Rivers. Eli is much more than a "game manager." He is an actual playmaker. Not to mention that he is one of the toughest players in football no matter what anyone thinks about him and his "lackadaisical" and "goofy" attitude. He is third in games played by a quarterback behind the immortal Brett Favre and his brother Peyton who has been in the league longer. Despite what most people think, Eli is the 4th best quarterback in this league behind Tom Brady (even with his performance this year to date), Peyton, and Drew Brees. It's finally time he got his due.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


SUPPORT NYFS VIA OUR NETWORK OF SITES: FIND AN AA MEETING | FIND A JOB NEAR YOU | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | HOME REPAIR CONTRACTOR BUILDER AC HEAT | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT AND RESOURCES | THE SOULCIALISTS LIVE LOCAL PIANO MUSIC TREASURE COAST | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT NEAR YOU | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GOLF BEACH RESORT HOTELS RESTAURANTS BED BREAKFAST | HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | METRO BUS TRAIN SUBWAY AIRPORT HELIPORT | VETERAN TIPS CRAFT DIY RECIPES | ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS NEAR YOU | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL HEALTHY HEART DIABETIC RESTAURANTS AND STORES | CHURCH TEMPLE MOSQUE OR PLACE OF WORSHIP NEAR YOU | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB | SUICIDE HOTLINE DANIELLE COLBERT PHOTO MUG SHOT | © Untraditional Media

The%20Soulcialists