MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jets 2011 IST
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:21 pm 
Legend of NYFS

FWIW:

Nick Folk: 14/18 Lg 50

Nick Novak: 17/19 Lg 52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:39 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Steve The Original wrote:
FWIW:

Nick Folk: 14/18 Lg 50

Nick Novak: 17/19 Lg 52

3 of Folk's misses are from 50 plus so I'm not sure that shows anything. They've both missed one field goal under 50.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:54 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Awful game. Jets aren't going to win any tiebreakers so they'll have to get to 11 wins to make the playoffs.

Schottenheimer has to go, if only to confirm that the Jets didn't whiff on the Sanchez pick(I think they did, he simply doesn't pass the 'eye' test as a franchise QB).

Pretty sad to realize that the team's SB window slammed shut. If Favre came back and played in 09 for the Jets, perhaps they win that SB...... too many what ifs.

Oh well.

Anyone who quotes profits of a baseball club is missing the point. Under generally accepted accounting principles, I can turn a $4 million profit into a $2 million loss, and I can get every national accounting firm to agree with me. - Paul Beeston, CEO of the Toronto Blue Jays

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:28 pm 
Franchise Player

Rex Ryan is a great football coach. His scheme is top notch and the results are darn impressive as well. He is not the problem in my eyes and I am not sick of his bravado at all. One thing I do question how much input he has in the offense. It has been revealed that Mike Pettine is now calling plays on defense, something that Rex did for the past 2 years. Perhaps that freed up Rex to have more a hand in the offense. And we all know that Rex wants no turnovers on offense, no mistakes, and maybe that has led to this offense we see today.

I don't feel much better about this team today than I did yesterday.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:08 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MikeH wrote:
Rex Ryan is a great football coach. His scheme is top notch and the results are darn impressive as well. He is not the problem in my eyes and I am not sick of his bravado at all. One thing I do question how much input he has in the offense. It has been revealed that Mike Pettine is now calling plays on defense, something that Rex did for the past 2 years. Perhaps that freed up Rex to have more a hand in the offense. And we all know that Rex wants no turnovers on offense, no mistakes, and maybe that has led to this offense we see today.

I don't feel much better about this team today than I did yesterday.

We're Jet fans what do you expect? :-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:14 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

So Rex lives in my hometown and routinely goes to his son's games on Saturdays when possible such as byes and yesterday, which was a playoff game. People leave him be since he is just a father on those games, while our coach had to pull his arm in order to get him on the sidelines for away games. His son is the starting defensive back.

Anyways, I was in the concession stand line after his son had made a great play just before half time by breaking on an out just before the ball got there. I said excuse me, introduced myself, and said that his son made a hell of a play and asked if Revis taught him how to make that play or if he had learned it from watching Revis. Rex roared his laugh and said his son watches the Jets but not sure if there was anything learned. Then it was just some idle chit-chat about the season where he said he was still seething about the loss and is at a loss about how tebow beat them. I was impressed that he is so bitter about the loss a few days later, while saying he hasn't started game planning yet as he was reviewing the film still to see what he could have learned.

I proceeded to tell Rex I was a Giants fan and was hoping the Jets get their act together, so there can be a meaningful game on Christmas Eve. He then admitted that the Jets were not the big brother in NYC with the Giants playing so well, while still maintain the Jets would get there. Finally, I asked if he teaches his son anything, and he said not much since he doesn't want to overstep or step on toes. It ended when I his son is a hell of a player and that Rex must be proud of him. I then handed him a ketchup bottle after putting it on my dog and left.

Some things I learned, Rex eats ketchup, not mustard on his dogs, which I know would have caused some stirs in the GOT section of the forum. Also, I was very much impressed with him. I was not a Rex fan in the past, feeling he was arrogant and consistently being all talk and little action. However, after this encounter, I got the feeling much of the talk is hubris. He is incredibly passionate, yet surprisingly humble. He wants the attention on his son's teams, not himself, which is why he wanted to resist the sidelines. He also made it seem like he wants the attention off his team to prevent criticism from them and firmly on himself. While at games, he has never denied an autograph or the chance to talk with a fan. At one point, he and Mark Sanchez worked the chains at some games a year back. I came away very impressed. He has a vision and true belief in his team, believing they have the ability to beat anyone. While this rubs many the wrong way, including myself previously, we must remember we never truly know these people. And when we do, it is on the job, where they face the media scrutiny. I know from now on I will take things with a grain of salt.

If anyone is interested, the high school team is Summit High in Summit, NJ. Summit has won 33 of 34 games and has not lost in the regular season in 3 years. They are in the state finals this season facing another undefeated team, which is a match-up between the last two state champions in this section. Rex often mentions them in press conferences, most recently against the Patriots in week 1, stating that he would prefer to play to being Summit, before redacting it by playing Summit has been playing really, really well right now. Summit plays a hybrid shot gun, no huddle, wing-T offense, averaging over 40 points a game. For information check out [url]summitsports.org[/url].

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:08 pm 
Franchise Player

Thanks, Hilltop. A really good writeup.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:32 am 
Legend of NYFS

MikeH wrote:
Thanks, Hilltop. A really good writeup.

+1. Awesome Hilltop

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:08 am 
Franchise Player

The win today really did nothing to ease my troubles with this team.

Sanchez was terrible again, do not let the touchdowns fool you. We were able to run all over them, yet we really didn't try to. Both Greene and McKnight were finding avenues, but Schotty declined to exploit this.

A win is a win is a win, but we really played poorly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:21 am 
NYFS Staff

The Jets barely beat a Bills team playing with half of its roster. Let's ignore for a section the fact that if Stevie Johnson spent a little less time scripting his next TD dance and a little more time catching a ball over the middle with under a minute in the 4th quarter to score the go-ahead TD, Jets Nation would be apoplectic. Most of the significant players on the Bills roster -- to the extent that there are any -- are on the IR. Fred Jackson, Kyle Williams, Terrance McGee, Eric Wood, Merriman, etc. The RB corps were so banged up that the Bills signed a guy away from the REDSKINS so they could put him in to lose 5 yards/carry. Brad Smith was the third WR. The Bills secondary is currently composed of rookies and castoffs due to injuries.

Now I know it's impossible to view a football game through the lens of the other team -- and if I were a Jets fan I would love the glimmer of hope provided by 6-5 vs. 5-6 -- but Bills fans are baffled that this game was even close.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:10 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MikeH wrote:
The win today really did nothing to ease my troubles with this team.

Sanchez was terrible again, do not let the touchdowns fool you. We were able to run all over them, yet we really didn't try to. Both Greene and McKnight were finding avenues, but Schotty declined to exploit this.

A win is a win is a win, but we really played poorly.

Yeah..Schotty...or should we just call him "Shoddy," from now on. I really don't lay much blame on this one on him though. Although I don't understand the merits of throwing on three consecutive downs after the TD that tied the game at 21. Also the defense again proved that they are not to be trusted in the last drive of the game. If not for a dropped Johnson pass that i'm sorry Rex, would have went for 6 and the pass in the end zone that Pool almost screwed up, the Bills would have won.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:19 pm 
NYFS Hall of Famer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc7c6XFAzr0

Hilarious.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next