MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Giants coaching circus
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:04 pm 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:39 pm
Posts: 22630
Location: Jersey City
My favorite team, the Jets, have long specialized in bringing new meaning to the term "dysfunctional", from rushing to hire Rich Kotite, when the Eagles couldn't get rid of him fast enough, to the whole hire John Idzik as GM but make him work with Rex of just last year. And much more before and in between, like Bill Belichick resigning as "HC of the NYJ" after holding the job for a day.

At the same time, the Giants have been a model organization for most of the time, although I have to say it's like fingernails on a chalkboard when Giants fans call WFAN and sanctimoniously proclaim their team's "class" when the greatest player in team history, Lawrence Taylor, was pretty much a low-life as a person, but a spectacularly good player whose indiscretions could be and were overlooked.

But beside that, I have none of the animosity toward the Giants that I feel toward the Yankees. I actually would say I'm a fan of Phil Simms, Eli, Odell Beckham, and others.

To the point of the post, John Mara and the organization have absolutely messed up the coaching change in a way that would have gotten the Jets laughed out of town. Again.

Most people would tell you the big reason they have been bad is poor personnel decisions. Yet they kept the main guy there, Jerry Reese.

Their defense has been awful, going from one of the worst in the league in 2014 to worst in the league in 2015 (by the way, has anyone apologized to Perry Fewell for making him the scapegoat after 2014?)

And not only are they trying to keep Spags, they're considering him for head coach, even though he was a big-time failure with the Rams and he actually oversaw a decline as DC from production that got Fewell run out of town.

And they also want to keep McAdoo, meaning a new head coach would definitely be stuck with Reese, who is on notice as GM, and the new coach will very likely be stuck with two coordinators chosen by someone else.

Adding to the chaos, this is one of the weakest offseasons for head coaching candidates. There's no one close to a Jim Harbaugh in the group that are getting all the interviews.

In fact, Tom Coughlin, were it not for his age, would likely be the hottest candidate on the market. And he's the guy they cut loose!

It's hard to imagine Leon Hess or Woody Johnson could have done this worse than John Mara has.

_________________
Hats off to Sandy. Hats off to the Wilpons. And don't forget Yoenis Cespedes, a star who wanted to stay a Met.

--------------------------------------------------------
You can PayPal donations to donations@nyfuturestars.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Giants coaching circus
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:16 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:16 pm
Posts: 12278
Not as bad as the Niners who just hired Chip Kelly and the Browns who hired Hue Jackson.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Giants coaching circus
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:43 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm
Posts: 59177
Steve The Original wrote:
Not as bad as the Niners who just hired Chip Kelly and the Browns who hired Hue Jackson.


Uh...?

Those are two pretty great hires.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Giants coaching circus
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:55 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Practically A Wilpon

Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:52 pm
Posts: 9255
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Steve The Original wrote:
Not as bad as the Niners who just hired Chip Kelly and the Browns who hired Hue Jackson.


Uh...?

Those are two pretty great hires.

Especially the latter. Kudos to DePo and the Browns organization.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Giants coaching circus
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:17 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Manager

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:32 pm
Posts: 6385
It was handled very poorly but they did okay this time around, considering the circumstances

but I believe the decision to Move Mac up to HC, from OC... will pay off. He seems both stable and confident and the people who helped bring him along, only helped to get him solidified as a person who could succeed as a HC. Time will tell but Im confident that he'll do a good job.

As for JR, hes horrible. Fans and the media have said that hes done better over the past 3 years, but other than 3 players whove shown to be either good or very good, theres still close to 20 others from those drafts that are either off the team or incapable of getting snaps, even when healthy; with exception of Flowers, who was ranked one of the worst Tackles in the NFL by several people, including PFF. And yes, I get he was hurt, but hes not the nly person playing; every player is banged up. Also, as per PFF, the best players lined up against Newhouse the most. Which means, he had lesser talent facing him, yet still played poorly. If it was for the fact that Both Pugh and Richburg played exceptionally, the offensive scheme we have in place..... ELI would be in crutches.

Is there hope that Flowers can be really good? Well, hes a top 10 draft pick; who has good measurables for a LT, especially in this OL scheme. But so far, despite his ankle injury. he managed to be one of the worst Tackles in the NFL and finished 32nd in his rookie class (when compared to other in the 1st round) with his performance.

The only reason JR kept his job, is because OBJ3 and the fact that for 3 years, a lot of his picks were injured; which judging by his track record, those same player will likely be poor football players who will manage to finally get JR the pink slip, he so richly deserves

Thats all i have to say

_________________
<3 Palestine National Futbol/Brazil/Bulls/Mets/Giants (da football 1)/UNC

Otherwise, the season will be over before we play the Marlins come monday september 26th


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Giants coaching circus
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:14 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Blue Chipper

Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:06 pm
Posts: 401
Chico wrote:
My favorite team, the Jets, have long specialized in bringing new meaning to the term "dysfunctional", from rushing to hire Rich Kotite, when the Eagles couldn't get rid of him fast enough, to the whole hire John Idzik as GM but make him work with Rex of just last year. And much more before and in between, like Bill Belichick resigning as "HC of the NYJ" after holding the job for a day.

At the same time, the Giants have been a model organization for most of the time, although I have to say it's like fingernails on a chalkboard when Giants fans call WFAN and sanctimoniously proclaim their team's "class" when the greatest player in team history, Lawrence Taylor, was pretty much a low-life as a person, but a spectacularly good player whose indiscretions could be and were overlooked.

But beside that, I have none of the animosity toward the Giants that I feel toward the Yankees. I actually would say I'm a fan of Phil Simms, Eli, Odell Beckham, and others.

To the point of the post, John Mara and the organization have absolutely messed up the coaching change in a way that would have gotten the Jets laughed out of town. Again.

Most people would tell you the big reason they have been bad is poor personnel decisions. Yet they kept the main guy there, Jerry Reese.

Their defense has been awful, going from one of the worst in the league in 2014 to worst in the league in 2015 (by the way, has anyone apologized to Perry Fewell for making him the scapegoat after 2014?)

And not only are they trying to keep Spags, they're considering him for head coach, even though he was a big-time failure with the Rams and he actually oversaw a decline as DC from production that got Fewell run out of town.

And they also want to keep McAdoo, meaning a new head coach would definitely be stuck with Reese, who is on notice as GM, and the new coach will very likely be stuck with two coordinators chosen by someone else.

Adding to the chaos, this is one of the weakest offseasons for head coaching candidates. There's no one close to a Jim Harbaugh in the group that are getting all the interviews.

In fact, Tom Coughlin, were it not for his age, would likely be the hottest candidate on the market. And he's the guy they cut loose!

It's hard to imagine Leon Hess or Woody Johnson could have done this worse than John Mara has.


You said it right there. His age was a huge factor in why he was let go. He will turn 70 in August and is coming off 6-10, 6-10, and 7-9 records the past three years. Honestly, I think he can still coach, but at some point you have to make a change. At 70 years old he basically would have been year to year. Throw in the fact that he's been there for 12 years.

As for getting rid of Reese I don't think the Giants wanted to hire both a GM and a coach in the same offseason. As for the new coaching hires, there has definitely been a link to the offensive side of the ball/QB position.

McAdoo - Keep same offense in place
Gase - Get something out of Tannehill
Kelly - Kaepernick?
Hue Jackson
Koetter - Winston
Pederson - Link to Andy Reid


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Giants coaching circus
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:03 pm 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:39 pm
Posts: 22630
Location: Jersey City
What the Giants ended up doing makes the most sense among the choices they gave themselves.

But I think the point is that by choosing ahead of time to retain Reese and the two coordinators, they severely limited the options in getting a head coach.

Can you imagine a guy who has his choice of jobs joining a losing team where he has to work with a failed GM and two coordinators chosen by the owner?

Of course, if McAdoo is good, it won't matter, regardless of process.

_________________
Hats off to Sandy. Hats off to the Wilpons. And don't forget Yoenis Cespedes, a star who wanted to stay a Met.

--------------------------------------------------------
You can PayPal donations to donations@nyfuturestars.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Giants coaching circus
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:28 pm 
Offline
Manager

Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:14 pm
Posts: 6274
Failed GM? A little harsh considering he has two rings.

The Reese hate is way overblown.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Giants coaching circus
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:48 pm 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:39 pm
Posts: 22630
Location: Jersey City
zaknim wrote:
Failed GM? A little harsh considering he has two rings.

The Reese hate is way overblown.




Any argument you can make for or against either one of them, you can make for or against the other.

They're joined at the hip when it comes to credit or blame.

And there's a strong argument to be made that the first ring they won when Reese was in the GM chair had more to do with the work Ernie Accorsi did before him. Coughlin was there all along.

_________________
Hats off to Sandy. Hats off to the Wilpons. And don't forget Yoenis Cespedes, a star who wanted to stay a Met.

--------------------------------------------------------
You can PayPal donations to donations@nyfuturestars.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Giants coaching circus
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:44 pm 
Offline
Manager

Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:14 pm
Posts: 6274
Without the guys Reese drafted in 2007 we don't win the SB that year. Also Coughlin had a say in the personnel also so while I agree it's kind of hand in hand I do think Reese deserved to stay. I would have been fine keeping Coughlin one more year with the staff but I also understand why they chose to move on.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


SUPPORT NYFS VIA OUR NETWORK OF SITES: FIND AN AA MEETING | FIND A JOB NEAR YOU | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | HOME REPAIR CONTRACTOR BUILDER AC HEAT | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT AND RESOURCES | THE SOULCIALISTS LIVE LOCAL PIANO MUSIC TREASURE COAST | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT NEAR YOU | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GOLF BEACH RESORT HOTELS RESTAURANTS BED BREAKFAST | HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | METRO BUS TRAIN SUBWAY AIRPORT HELIPORT | VETERAN TIPS CRAFT DIY RECIPES | ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS NEAR YOU | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL HEALTHY HEART DIABETIC RESTAURANTS AND STORES | CHURCH TEMPLE MOSQUE OR PLACE OF WORSHIP NEAR YOU | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB | SUICIDE HOTLINE DANIELLE COLBERT PHOTO MUG SHOT | © Untraditional Media

The%20Soulcialists