MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jets 2022 off-season
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:07 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Free agency is here and the signings have begun.

https://elitesportsny.com/2022/03/17/je ... y-tracker/

Laken Tomlinson is the big move. An immediate upgrade to the O-line which might mean they look elsewhere with their #4 and #10 picks (possibly)

C.J. Uzomah is an upgrade at tight-end and Tyler Conklin will enable them to run some 2 tight-end formations.

Flacco returning is a good move and bringing Mike White back is fun, even if he might never take a live snap.

Reed and Whitehead should help their secondary/pass defense.

Braxton Berrios is a nice return (see what I did there).

Lots of praise from this writer here:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ho ... uxbndlbing

And we haven't even gotten to the draft yet, so it feels like a good start. Some holes plugged. They need more, but should already be improved from last year.

Draft in 6 weeks. Maybe they won't be so bad this year.

Go Mets!!!

Post subject: Re: Jets 2022 off-season
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:30 am 
NYFS Hall of Famer

None of the moves the Jets made are bad, and there’s even a couple good deals among the signings, but I still feel underwhelmed.

Laken Tomlinson is an above average guard around 30 years old who bloomed late in a system that is structured around pre-snap motion, heavy use of a zone blocking run scheme, and a passing offense looking to maximize yards after the catch. He graded well as a run blocker and decent in pass protection, although this could perhaps be attributed to the quick passes used by the 9ers, overall effectiveness of the system, and playing next to Trent Williams, an all-world Left Tackle. For the Jets, Tomlinson should expect to transition to right guard, a position he hasn’t played since college. I do not buy the argument that since the Jets use a system designed in the fashion of the 9ers, his production will translate here. The Jets system is its own. Just because you use the same colors as Van Gogh doesn’t mean you can paint sunflowers like him.

I like signing 25 and 26 year old players for the secondary. This being the Jets, however, their defense still lacks talent in the secondary and linebackers and edge, so who can say whether these players signed can elevate the unit to a respectable level or even hold up their assignments. Probably not. But I like the idea of committing resources to young, previously productive players for the secondary.

The TE’s they signed are just some guys. Uzomah is big and caught some balls last year but isn’t exceptionally fast or strong or an impressive leaper or great at catching. He’s just a guy, near 30, who played with a great QB last year and can line up at TE and not embarrass the team. The other guy, I forget his name and don’t care enough to look up, is a man who’s like 27 and pretty good at football and probably played D1 in college and will be cut before his contract with the Jets is up. There’s no upside to either signing, they are just some guys who play professional football in America, and now they will play for the Jets.

They also re-signed Tevin Coleman, who was shot last year, and will probably be worse next year.

They lost out on Tyreek Hill, who they probably could have gotten, but he preferred to play with a QB who, and this is a fact, cannot throw the ball more than 4 yards in any direction. Oh well. I’m relieved the Jets didn’t force a moral dilemma on me. I like rooting against him and relish continuing. No loss.

The Jets will still be terrible next year, of this I’m still pretty convinced. This free agent period has not changed my thinking.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:03 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Well, they just signed a kicker.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/je ... 2862c3f95c

They already had one but this is an upgrade.

I'm not quite as negative as you, especially on the tight ends where I think these two guys are an upgrade. Replacement level or a hair above replacement level is an upgrade over bad.

I think Zach can throw long, he just got in a lot of trouble throwing long last year so he toned it down. Something to work on and maybe he never gets it and never pans out, but I have a little hope.

I think they take a step up and win at least 5, maybe 7 games next year, but it's really all about 2023 for me, drafting well next month and Wilson continuing to make improvements. They don't have a load of extra picks in 2023 like they have this year, but that's a long ways away.

Go Mets!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:45 am 
Legend of NYFS

Not related to this off-season, but a relevant article to any Jets fan:

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2020/4/ ... in-the-nfl

Go Mets!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:08 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I'd have liked to see this if it had been the Jets.

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/2 ... ne-related

Go Mets!!!