MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: The Lebron Watch
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:22 am 
User avatar
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:55 am
Posts: 8279
Well it's time for the biggest NBA Free Agent extravaganza since 1996 when among others Shaquille O'Neill made his services open to a short lived bidding war between the LA Lakers and the team he was beyond fed up with, the Orlando Magic.

Lebron is obviously the big fish this time around and many feel that now after losing in the 2nd round to the Celtics he's as good as gone. I'm not as sure but I'm convinced he's at least got wondering eyes and the Knicks and Bulls are the possible frontrunners.

Rumors of a Calipari/Lebron/Rose & Co union are flying around now and I'm honestly worried as a Knick fan that their current roster is not enticing enough to garner serious consideration even with a 2nd Max player capable of joining LJ. Gallo does look like a perfect player to sit behind the 3pt stripe for him but there isn't much else honestly even if I do like Wilson Chandler. Hey, I'm not saying a Lebron/Bosh combo with Gallo on the wing wouldn't be a great foundation but how many other teams can offer just as good of a foundation or maybe better??

Well, KG seemed to steer him towards the door with the following quote, and I hope the basketball fans at NYFS can put together all rumors and/or quotes about specifically Lebron but any other free agent talk as we gear up for July.


KG's quote after the game-

"Honestly, he's gonna have to make a decision on not just him, but his family and his future," Garnett said when asked in his postgame press conference what LeBron would have to deal with.

"Loyalty is something that hurts you at times because you can't get youth back. I can honestly say that if I can go back and do my situation over, knowing what I know now with this organization, I'd of done it a little sooner.

"But I don't know what's going through his mind. He's a different individual, I haven't spoken to him or anything but the world is his. Whatever he wants it to be, whatever decisions he makes is probably gonna be best for him, not only him, but him and his family."



Thoughts certainly welcome.

_________________
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:


"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Lebron Watch
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:39 am 
Offline
Franchise Player

Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 4:44 pm
Posts: 3840
I think the objective indicators have the Knicks running second in the Lebron sweepstakes right now. I rank the team's chances like this: 1. Bulls (30%) 2. Knicks (25%) 3. Cavaliers (20%) 4. Heat (15%) 5. Nets (5%) 6. Field (5%).

On paper, the Bulls have the biggest draw. They have better role players, but at the end of the day it's hard for me to see LeBron wanting to play in the shadow of MJ for the rest of his career.

The Knicks' biggest draw is off the court. They don't have the team that the Bulls, Heat or even Nets can offer (if they get the #1 pick), but they have a lot of cap room this season and next (remember, Curry's deal expires next season, which gives them a big potential trading chip or lets them go after FAs next year too), and LBJ is keen on his legacy.

A week ago I would have thought that the Cavs were overwhelming favorites to keep LeBron. But the last two games highlighted what dogged the Cavs for his entire stay - a failure to surround him with top talent. Honestly, the Cavs were a lottery team before LBJ and without him they're probably going back to being a lottery team.

Hard to say where he winds up, but in the end I think the Knicks miss out on LeBron but wind up with Joe Johnson and Amare Stoudamire.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Lebron Watch
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:47 am 
User avatar
Offline
Everyday Player

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:52 pm
Posts: 1289
Location: Westchester, NY
Thejurisdoc wrote:
I think the objective indicators have the Knicks running second in the Lebron sweepstakes right now. I rank the team's chances like this: 1. Bulls (30%) 2. Knicks (25%) 3. Cavaliers (20%) 4. Heat (15%) 5. Nets (5%) 6. Field (5%).

On paper, the Bulls have the biggest draw. They have better role players, but at the end of the day it's hard for me to see LeBron wanting to play in the shadow of MJ for the rest of his career.

The Knicks' biggest draw is off the court. They don't have the team that the Bulls, Heat or even Nets can offer (if they get the #1 pick), but they have a lot of cap room this season and next (remember, Curry's deal expires next season, which gives them a big potential trading chip or lets them go after FAs next year too), and LBJ is keen on his legacy.

A week ago I would have thought that the Cavs were overwhelming favorites to keep LeBron. But the last two games highlighted what dogged the Cavs for his entire stay - a failure to surround him with top talent. Honestly, the Cavs were a lottery team before LBJ and without him they're probably going back to being a lottery team.

Hard to say where he winds up, but in the end I think the Knicks miss out on LeBron but wind up with Joe Johnson and Amare Stoudamire.


Stoudamire and Johnson would be a HUGE disaster.
Stoudamire doesn't play a lick of defense and Joe Johnson showed in these playoffs why he does not deserve a max contract.

If the Knicks can't get Lebron they need to get Bosh and then sign Melo next year.

But I actually think the Knicks have a great shot at Lebron. The Bulls may have better overall taker but I think the Knicks are a better fit.
Rose is great but he's a point guard who needs the ball in his hands to be effective. In other words he's not necessary if you have Lebron who is basically a Point Forward, everything runs through him. Toney Douglas doesn't need the ball to be effective and he can shoot threes as well as play very good defense

And then Gallo. Lebron needs great shooters around him, and Gallinari is blossoming into just that. And Chandler is also a guy who is a slasher with a nice mid range shot. Same with Bill Walker.

Plus the most important thing the Knicks have, which no other team does, is room to sign another max free agent. The Knicks could pair up Lebron with a great big man like Bosh.
If the Bulls signed him they wouldn't be ableto complement him with another big free agent


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Lebron Watch
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:10 am 
User avatar
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:55 am
Posts: 8279
Eh- I'm editing out what may have been just a sick rumor. One of them internet rumors that spreads like wildfire before anyone knows how it originated...

_________________
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:


"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Lebron Watch
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:42 am 
Offline
Franchise Player

Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 4:44 pm
Posts: 3840
MetsJets24/7 wrote:

Stoudamire and Johnson would be a HUGE disaster.
Stoudamire doesn't play a lick of defense and Joe Johnson showed in these playoffs why he does not deserve a max contract.

If the Knicks can't get Lebron they need to get Bosh and then sign Melo next year.

But I actually think the Knicks have a great shot at Lebron. The Bulls may have better overall taker but I think the Knicks are a better fit.
Rose is great but he's a point guard who needs the ball in his hands to be effective. In other words he's not necessary if you have Lebron who is basically a Point Forward, everything runs through him. Toney Douglas doesn't need the ball to be effective and he can shoot threes as well as play very good defense

And then Gallo. Lebron needs great shooters around him, and Gallinari is blossoming into just that. And Chandler is also a guy who is a slasher with a nice mid range shot. Same with Bill Walker.

Plus the most important thing the Knicks have, which no other team does, is room to sign another max free agent. The Knicks could pair up Lebron with a great big man like Bosh.
If the Bulls signed him they wouldn't be ableto complement him with another big free agent


D'Antoni doesn't really emphasize defense in his system and we've seen Amare succeed under him. I don't think it would be terrible. As for Johnson, I think he played himself out of a max deal in these playoffs, so I was going on the assumption that he'd get a big, but not max, deal. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

Personally, I think Douglas / Chandler / Johnson / Gallo / Amare would be a fun team to watch and could win ~50 games. Obviously I'd rather have LeBron but I'm just considering the alternatives.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Lebron Watch
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:43 am 
Offline
Franchise Player

Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 4:44 pm
Posts: 3840
Daaaarryyl wrote:
Eh- I'm editing out what may have been just a sick rumor. One of them internet rumors that spreads like wildfire before anyone knows how it originated...


I'm interested in hearing it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Lebron Watch
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:23 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Franchise Player

Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Posts: 3623
Location: Shea
Thejurisdoc wrote:
D'Antoni doesn't really emphasize defense in his system and we've seen Amare succeed under him. I don't think it would be terrible. As for Johnson, I think he played himself out of a max deal in these playoffs, so I was going on the assumption that he'd get a big, but not max, deal. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

Personally, I think Douglas / Chandler / Johnson / Gallo / Amare would be a fun team to watch and could win ~50 games. Obviously I'd rather have LeBron but I'm just considering the alternatives.


That team would be fun to watch on offense, but dreadful on defense and would get crushed on the boards.

It would probably be a playoff team and a high scoring team, but I couldn't see it making a run in the playoffs.

_________________
Run it up, Herman! Leave no doubt!
-Coach Yoast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Lebron Watch
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:01 pm 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Hall of Famer

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:54 am
Posts: 5447
Location: Walking Distance
Chicago


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Lebron Watch
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:28 am 
User avatar
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:55 am
Posts: 8279
MikeH wrote:
Thejurisdoc wrote:
D'Antoni doesn't really emphasize defense in his system and we've seen Amare succeed under him. I don't think it would be terrible. As for Johnson, I think he played himself out of a max deal in these playoffs, so I was going on the assumption that he'd get a big, but not max, deal. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

Personally, I think Douglas / Chandler / Johnson / Gallo / Amare would be a fun team to watch and could win ~50 games. Obviously I'd rather have LeBron but I'm just considering the alternatives.


That team would be fun to watch on offense, but dreadful on defense and would get crushed on the boards.It would probably be a playoff team and a high scoring team, but I couldn't see it making a run in the playoffs.


That worries me. I fear Antoni plans on building one of those Don Nelson Maverick squads that will score a ton and make the playoffs every year only to lose to a better, more complete and defensive oriented club year after year. Hell, Dolan would be ecstatic just to get the playoff sellouts every year but we'll be let down every May..


Mike H- tough luck with the lottery results. It's rediculous how the system works. The Nets should have absolutely ended up picking 1st. But 3rd? Stern should change things up..Maybe increase the chances for the worse teams to win the top 3 selections.

_________________
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:


"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Lebron Watch
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:37 pm 
Offline
Draft Pick

Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:42 pm
Posts: 46
I think his decision is going to be influenced by Bosh's but I really hope the Kinick can add him to there best free agents signed list soon http://www.msg.com/our-teams/knicks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Lebron Watch
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:22 am 
Offline
Draft Pick

Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:15 pm
Posts: 41
I would like to see Lebron go to the NYK's but I feel he might be staying in Cleveland..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Lebron Watch
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:19 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:55 am
Posts: 8279
SHPIDA wrote:
Chicago

_________________
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:


"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


SUPPORT NYFS VIA OUR NETWORK OF SITES: FIND AN AA MEETING | FIND A JOB NEAR YOU | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | HOME REPAIR CONTRACTOR BUILDER AC HEAT | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT AND RESOURCES | THE SOULCIALISTS LIVE LOCAL PIANO MUSIC TREASURE COAST | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT NEAR YOU | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GOLF BEACH RESORT HOTELS RESTAURANTS BED BREAKFAST | HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | METRO BUS TRAIN SUBWAY AIRPORT HELIPORT | VETERAN TIPS CRAFT DIY RECIPES | ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS NEAR YOU | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL HEALTHY HEART DIABETIC RESTAURANTS AND STORES | CHURCH TEMPLE MOSQUE OR PLACE OF WORSHIP NEAR YOU | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB | SUICIDE HOTLINE DANIELLE COLBERT PHOTO MUG SHOT | © Untraditional Media

The%20Soulcialists