Switch to full style
Discuss the Knicks, Nets, and everything NBA.
Post a reply

Re: NY Knicks.2013-14 thread

Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:29 pm

So Melo wants to be a FA....will see what happens but I think he will be back

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:47 pm

Aldich has been so bad it seems like he's opened the door for Diogu. Murry played well tonight

Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:42 am

yeah, I was just contemplating that. There's basically 12 of 15 spots locked (Felton, Prigioni, Udrih, Shumpert, JRSmith, THJ, Melo, Bargnani, Chandler, K-Mart, Amare, MWP), so three spots open, with Tyler, Leslie, Diogu, Murry, and Powell, all pretty much clearly ahead of Aldrich on the depth chart. He's almost played himself into the dark place of being in the CSmith/Douglas-Roberts position of not really having a shot at a roster spot at this point.

I haven't really been impressed with Leslie, but I'd still D-League him, I just don't think he's ready to help now. I think Tyler is still the best of the bunch when healthy. I like Diogu/Powell/Murry all okay.

I think Tyler/Murry and pick'em on Diogu/Powell is the way it plays out, barring a signing/trade/injury.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:00 am

metswiki wrote:yeah, I was just contemplating that. There's basically 12 of 15 spots locked (Felton, Prigioni, Udrih, Shumpert, JRSmith, THJ, Melo, Bargnani, Chandler, K-Mart, Amare, MWP), so three spots open, with Tyler, Leslie, Diogu, Murry, and Powell, all pretty much clearly ahead of Aldrich on the depth chart. He's almost played himself into the dark place of being in the CSmith/Douglas-Roberts position of not really having a shot at a roster spot at this point.

I haven't really been impressed with Leslie, but I'd still D-League him, I just don't think he's ready to help now. I think Tyler is still the best of the bunch when healthy. I like Diogu/Powell/Murry all okay.

I think Tyler/Murry and pick'em on Diogu/Powell is the way it plays out, barring a signing/trade/injury.

The problem with sending Leslie to the D-League (and the D-league in general) is the player still counts against the 15 man. I've never really seen an explanation as to how this makes sense. The teams AND the players are hurt by this. More teams would keep players under guaranteed deals if they could send them to the "minors". I'm not saying teams should be able to do this with 5-6 guys (although why not have a true minor league system?). Leslie has not been very impressive at all. I wouldn't hate rostering him but given the choice I'd risk losing him over Tyler. Man, Aldrich must really stink to be a lottery pick, bounce around... basically HAVE the 15th man job and let it slip away. Tyler (like Leslie) was a MASSIVE HS prospect but Tyler (unlike Leslie) is a huge man. Like it or not, bigs get more chances.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:35 pm

The problem with sending Leslie to the D-League (and the D-league in general) is the player still counts against the 15 man.

I'm pretty sure that's not how that works. I think if you waive a guy like Leslie from the 15 man/camp roster, and then he clears waivers, you can assign him to Erie, the Knicks affiliate, and then the Knicks have the sole right to call him up mid-season, but would have to make a 15 man roster move to add him at that time.

I could be wrong. But that's my understanding of the D-League relationship as it applies to Leslie.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:04 pm

metswiki wrote:
The problem with sending Leslie to the D-League (and the D-league in general) is the player still counts against the 15 man.

I'm pretty sure that's not how that works. I think if you waive a guy like Leslie from the 15 man/camp roster, and then he clears waivers, you can assign him to Erie, the Knicks affiliate, and then the Knicks have the sole right to call him up mid-season, but would have to make a 15 man roster move to add him at that time.

I could be wrong. But that's my understanding of the D-League relationship as it applies to Leslie.

Waiving a player means he can be claimed. You don't need to waive a player to send him to the D-League however. The Knicks for example could send THjr to the Dleague because he's not getting playing time. If they did that he would count against the 15 man roster.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:04 pm

Wow. Chris Smith made the Knicks over Tyler.

Final 3

Smith, Aldrich, Murry

Powell, Leslie, Tyler, Diogu cut

Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:07 pm

metswiki wrote:

Ed,
If you meant to waive him, hope he's not claimed and then send him there then I apologize but that wasn't mentioned in your initial post.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:54 pm

Lol they cut Tyler and kept JRs bro SMDH.

I'm just hoping the plan is to cut Cris whenever Tyler is ready and are only doing this as a favor to JR to get his bro guaranteed money for the year even if he's only on the team for a few weeks.

Otherwise I am totally lost because Cris Smith is not an NBA prospect.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:14 pm

You can send someone to the NBDL if you're using a roster spot to include him as part of your team.

But if he's not one of your 15 he's a FA and can sign with anyone. If Leslie where to go there now and play great for example he'd be targeted by several teams and not be Knicks property.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:38 pm

I'm not stoked by the decisions. I don't really care about losing anyone we cut, but I would have preferred to see Tyler get a shot to develop over any of the three guys they kept. I hope they creatively use the Aldrich/Smith spots as people get cut this week.

Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:48 pm

metswiki wrote:I'm not stoked by the decisions. I don't really care about losing anyone we cut, but I would have preferred to see Tyler get a shot to develop over any of the three guys they kept. I hope they creatively use the Aldrich/Smith spots as people get cut this week.

Hopefully wont be a decision they regret
Post a reply