Switch to full style
Discuss the Knicks, Nets, and everything NBA.
Post a reply

RIP Moses Malone

Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:52 pm

He died in his sleep over the weekend at the age of 60.

Moses was an absolutely phenomenal rebounder and was NBA MVP 3 times.

His death comes less than two weeks after the death of Darryl Dawkins.

Malone was the superior player of the two, by far, but they shared the same career path in that both went straight from high school into pro basketball.

Malone went from a Virginia high school into the old ABA and was an instant star.

Given the copycat nature of pro sports, teams tried to emulate the Malone experiment and went looking for physically mature high school big men. Dawkins fit the bill and went into the NBA a year after Malone's jump to the pros.

Re: RIP Moses Malone

Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:45 pm

Chico wrote:He died in his sleep over the weekend at the age of 60.

Moses was an absolutely phenomenal rebounder and was NBA MVP 3 times.

His death comes less than two weeks after the death of Darryl Dawkins.

Malone was the superior player of the two, by far, but they shared the same career path in that both went straight from high school into pro basketball.

Malone went from a Virginia high school into the old ABA and was an instant star.

Given the copycat nature of pro sports, teams tried to emulate the Malone experiment and went looking for physically mature high school big men. Dawkins fit the bill and went into the NBA a year after Malone's jump to the pros.

I remember when Malone used to kick the Knicks but as a Sixer and I hated him, but I respected him as a player, just a couple years before the Knicks finally went on a run and made the playoffs like 12 years in a row or something. When Ewing first came into the league, there were high hopes, but Malone was so much better for a few years.
Post a reply