MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Round 16/Pick 492 CF Bradley Marquez
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:29 am 
Legend of NYFS

Very interesting fact

Quote:
Bradley Marquez played on a summer league team a couple years ago where the head coach was a scout for the Mets, so the team has known about his talents for a few years, but Marquez said most of the contact he’s had with the team started this season.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:44 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Not to drag down the party here, but has anyone ever seen anything written about his baseball potential?

I mean, I see that he's a great athlete, but there was little baseball information available at the time of his drafting, and haven't seen much since. If this is going to cost a pretty penny, I gotta wonder if we aren't better off committing that cash to a kid with maybe a bit less raw athleticism, but more polish/commitment to baseball, no?

I'd imagine hes very raw on the baseball side. But still, I love adding great athletes. They ooze with potential. And if the Mets spread out his bonus over 5 years, then it won't cost them "a pretty penny".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:43 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Whats the "spread out over 5 years" thing and why is that different with Marquez than with all others?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:06 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Whats the "spread out over 5 years" thing and why is that different with Marquez than with all others?

His bonus can be spread over 5 years because he is playing college football. It's called a split bonus. None of our "others" are only going to be playing partial seasons. He also will have to return a portion of his bonus should he quit baseball. (This is all assuming he actually signs a split deal with us at all).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:07 pm 
Legend of NYFS

So if he gets 600K to sign, it's really 120K a year for every year he sticks with baseball.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:30 am 
Legend of NYFS

Interesting. I didn't know this.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:14 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Marquez is at practice with Texas Tech

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:16 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Quote:
Marquez also is in the midst of contract negotiations with the New York Mets, who drafted in Major League Baseball’s June draft.

“I’ve got a couple of weeks or whatever to see if the contract’s going to get done or not,” Marquez said. “I couldn’t tell you. We’ll see how that goes.”

Regardless whether he signs, Marquez said he’d like to play both sports, be it football and baseball at Tech or football at Tech and pro baseball. Either way, he doesn’t envision giving up college football.

“That’s not the plan, really,” he said. “Really, I’d like to be able to do both. That’s kind of been the discussion. I don’t see myself leaving Texas Tech, put it that way. I’m coming to get a degree. My mom and my family want me to get a degree. I as well want a degree. That’s something I’d like to do now, not have to come back to.”

http://lubbockonline.com/interact/blog- ... om-marquez

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:46 am 
Legend of NYFS

I'm going to go against the grain and say I'm really not crazy about this signing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 am 
Legend of NYFS

northway wrote:
I'm going to go against the grain and say I'm really not crazy about this signing.

If we're paying him instead one of the other tough signs (in other words, its an either/or thing), I agree.

Otherwise, and especially since folks are pointing out that the split contracts can be cost-friendly, its just a "meh" from me. All high school kids have crazy high attrition rates, and this one, with only playing for part of the year, focused on another sport that takes up a LARGE majority of your offseason time/training time, and the fact that we have seen nothing to suggest he's even much of a baseball prospect beyond his athleticism leads me to believe its a near certainty he doesn't amount to much. But its not my money, and more guys in the system is never a bad thing, I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:54 am 
Legend of NYFS

I don't see any way that IF they sign Marquez it's in place of another of the big guys. Ake was never signing, nobody ever thought he was, no whispers he might etc, they tried and struck out on Reed, Evans obviously has been made a very nice offer and obviously Nimmo has nothing to do with Marquez so who exactly will they have passed on? Kenny Mathews looks like he didn't like their offer, Robbins wanted 1st round money and Verrett has been negotiating wanting sandwich-2nd round money... again Marquez has no effect on Verrett.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:06 am 
Franchise Player

Guess nothing new on this front?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next