Total votes : 14
 Post subject: #37 run-off Becerra vs. McNeil vs. Brodey
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:45 pm 
Legend of NYFS

?

Post subject: Re: #37 run-off Becerra vs. McNeil vs. Brodey
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:10 am 
NYFS Staff

I had to go with Brodey. McNeil is already 25 and cannot stay on the field, and Becerra is just about a non-prospect at this point.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:09 pm 
Legend of NYFS

McNeil's fun and he could have a Evenasesq cameo this year (especially if he can play solid OF), but I went for the Mighty Quinn too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qoyWU_EDDU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:46 pm 
Manager

Not enamoured of any of these choices. But for me McNeil just doesn't have the tools the other two do. He wasn't in A+ most of the year because he hadn't yet performed there, I think it must have been more because it was hard to justify a roster spot for him at AAA or AA. In other words, organizational guy.

I realize we're at the point where any future role player or bench player might look OK, I'm just not sold on McNeil as even that. Not that we have too many upper level guys who are looking much better than McNeil for that type of role, either, but maybe Anthony Dimino (a couple of people have mentioned him recently) should at least be ahead of him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:29 pm 
Legend of NYFS

acerimusdux wrote:
Not enamoured of any of these choices. But for me McNeil just doesn't have the tools the other two do. He wasn't in A+ most of the year because he hadn't yet performed there, I think it must have been more because it was hard to justify a roster spot for him at AAA or AA. In other words, organizational guy.

I realize we're at the point where any future role player or bench player might look OK, I'm just not sold on McNeil as even that. Not that we have too many upper level guys who are looking much better than McNeil for that type of role, either, but maybe Anthony Dimino (a couple of people have mentioned him recently) should at least be ahead of him.

Despite being older, McNeil should get the same injury mulligan that Carpio gets. If he's healthy next year he might be closer to his old self. And he was never close to a top 10 guy, which Carpio was, but he looked kind of interesting before his injury.

on Dimino - does he have a position, or is he Dash 2.0 with higher average and less power? Not trying to criticize him, I honestly don't know.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:00 pm 
Rookie

McNeil doesn't have the tools that Brodey does? What? I couldn't disagree more.

And regarding him still being in A+, at least he has a good reason (rehabbing a double hernia) instead of it being over underperformance. We've already voted for a near-25 year old reliever who hasn't pitched above Columbia and a 1B who's repeated St Lucie three times. McNeil did get a call-up to AA late in 2015 (with an AFL appearance after) and started there in 2016 before he got hurt so I don't think it's fair to say that the org just thinks of him as org filler.

McNeil has shown consistent plus bat-to-ball ability, flashes improved pull-side power, is decently fast and athletic, and can play multiple positions in a non-Flores way. Don't be surprised when he gets a September call-up and shows out (assuming good health, of course).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:25 pm 
Manager

dang i missed this vote

i would have voted for brodey :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:45 am 
NYFS Staff

Didn't get to vote, but both Brodey and McNeil are good breakout candidates this year.