MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yoelkis Cespedes. . . .
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:07 am 
Draft Pick

Yo's half-brother who starred for the Cuban National team. He was looking like a prospect, but after searching, I haven't found anything new. Anyone have any news on him? Has he been picked up, moved to Venezuela, been spotted on a raft, etc?

Post subject: Re: Yoelkis Cespedes. . . .
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:32 am 
Legend of NYFS

I hope he didn't move to Venezuela.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:58 am 
Legend of NYFS

BastardsonofMr.Met wrote:
Yo's half-brother who starred for the Cuban National team. He was looking like a prospect, but after searching, I haven't found anything new. Anyone have any news on him? Has he been picked up, moved to Venezuela, been spotted on a raft, etc?

Article from March 2017 says he's thinking about playing in Japan.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/09/spor ... assic.html

He can play in Japan and return to Cuba. He has to defect to play in the US. Maybe he's waiting for a rule change, maybe he'll start in Japan and see how it goes. Maybe he'll wait till he's 25 to come to the US and avoid the 6 years of rookie salary. Whatever he decides, I don't think he'll come to the US soon, based on both the article above and MLB's and Cuba's rules. And I imagine that Trump's immigration policy isn't very warm and friendly right now either, even for potential pro baseball players. (unless they're from Norway).

He was the WBC non MLB #5 prospect overall. I'm not sure what that translates to for expected signing bonus: https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2017/3/2/ ... s-cespedes

- Yogi.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:27 pm 
Draft Pick

Any prospects from Norway? Maybe we should ask Thor. . . har har.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:28 pm 
Draft Pick

Thanks for the info, LT. Couldn't find much recent info.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:13 am 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
BastardsonofMr.Met wrote:

Article from March 2017 says he's thinking about playing in Japan.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/09/spor ... assic.html

He can play in Japan and return to Cuba. He has to defect to play in the US. Maybe he's waiting for a rule change, maybe he'll start in Japan and see how it goes. Maybe he'll wait till he's 25 to come to the US and avoid the 6 years of rookie salary. Whatever he decides, I don't think he'll come to the US soon, based on both the article above and MLB's and Cuba's rules. And I imagine that Trump's immigration policy isn't very warm and friendly right now either, even for potential pro baseball players. (unless they're from Norway).

He was the WBC non MLB #5 prospect overall. I'm not sure what that translates to for expected signing bonus: https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2017/3/2/ ... s-cespedes

Cubans are subject to an entirely different immigration process that Trump hasn’t said a word about changing, so I can’t imagine this would affect baby Cespedes in any way.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:46 pm 
Legend of NYFS

northway wrote:

Cubans are subject to an entirely different immigration process that Trump hasn’t said a word about changing, so I can’t imagine this would affect baby Cespedes in any way.

I didn't know that, but what I recall is that it still takes months, often over a year, after the player defects. It's not a quick process. That's why you get these players who haven't played in a year or year and a half and they're sometimes rusty.

Add to that, he was talking about Japan, specifically to keep his Cuban citizenship - probably won't hear about him coming to MLB for a while.

- Yogi.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:04 pm 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
northway wrote:

I didn't know that, but what I recall is that it still takes months, often over a year, after the player defects. It's not a quick process. That's why you get these players who haven't played in a year or year and a half and they're sometimes rusty.

Add to that, he was talking about Japan, specifically to keep his Cuban citizenship - probably won't hear about him coming to MLB for a while.

That's because they almost ubiquitously choose to establish residency in third party countries so as to avoid being subject to the draft. It doesn't have anything to do with the US immigration system.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:17 am 
Draft Pick

Baby Cespedes....I like that. Kinda like Baby Groot.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:09 am 
Legend of NYFS

northway wrote:

That's because they almost ubiquitously choose to establish residency in third party countries so as to avoid being subject to the draft. It doesn't have anything to do with the US immigration system.

Wow. I had no idea. So it's just a work visa for the US when they play here? Makes sense, I just didn't know how it was done.

- Yogi.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:15 am 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
northway wrote:

Wow. I had no idea. So it's just a work visa for the US when they play here? Makes sense, I just didn't know how it was done.

There are exceptions that prove the rule like Yunel Escobar (second round pick), who established US residency. This will probably change post-Obama, as he ended the "wet foot, dry foot" policy that allowed Cubans legal status in the US if they were able to reach dry land in US territory. As such, I'd imagine that we probably won't see too many Cuban players try to make the jump to the US anymore, as they would need to claim refugee status rather than the more or less automatic entry that the previous system allowed (plus the financial disincentive against entering the draft). My understanding is that they would be eligible for the draft even if they arrived in the States after the age-25 cutoff, whereas they're international free agents if they sign from abroad at the same age.