MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Most Important Player this spring training?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:08 am 
Legend of NYFS

Ralf wrote:
Harvey.

We desperately need a reliable #3 bridge to the rest of the rotation.

We do, but there's almost no chance its Harvey.

Gsell and Matz were at least good in 2016. Lugo was the most competent of the bunch last year. I'd hang my hat on that over Harvey magically returning to form. And the biggest thing with Harvey is given the unlikelihood of the relationship lasting any longer than another 8 months, max, I really hope the leash is short (though it won't be).

I'll say its Zack Wheeler, because this guy either needs to become something, fast, or we need to stop treating Zack Wheeler different than any number of guys around the league with the big arm and big pedigree but you'd never pencil him into any definitive role (and that has implications beyond this year). Jacob Turner - taken 3 picks after Zack in that 2009 draft - comes to mind.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:35 pm 
Rookie

I think the team has zero issues with Wright’s indecision. He’s doing his thing and not bothering anyone. These are adults and pros. Might be different on a basketball team where there are twenty-ish players fighting for 15 spots. But in MLB the camps are massive. And it’s not like there’s a “circus” surrounding him. We fans make a bigger deal about it than it practically is. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:54 am 
Legend of NYFS

I think this is a Make-Or-Break year for Miguel Pinango.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:44 pm 
MVP

egelband2 wrote:
I think the team has zero issues with Wright’s indecision. He’s doing his thing and not bothering anyone. These are adults and pros. Might be different on a basketball team where there are twenty-ish players fighting for 15 spots. But in MLB the camps are massive. And it’s not like there’s a “circus” surrounding him. We fans make a bigger deal about it than it practically is. I think.

It might not be an issue now but if I'm Sandy Alderson, it has to be really annoying in November and December when you have to figure out a player to cut from the 40 or a player you want to add to the 40 but can't because you are wasting a roster spot on someone you know is not going to play. I know the narrative here is that the guys who rank 37-40 on a roster don't amount to anything most of the time but you have to wonder if eventually it's going to backfire and you actually end up losing someone who is servicable because of Wright taking up a roster spot.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:10 pm 
Legend of NYFS

piazzafan wrote:
egelband2 wrote:

It might not be an issue now but if I'm Sandy Alderson, it has to be really annoying in November and December when you have to figure out a player to cut from the 40 or a player you want to add to the 40 but can't because you are wasting a roster spot on someone you know is not going to play. I know the narrative here is that the guys who rank 37-40 on a roster don't amount to anything most of the time but you have to wonder if eventually it's going to backfire and you actually end up losing someone who is servicable because of Wright taking up a roster spot.

Everything else being equal, Wright cost us Matt Reynolds. (not sure who if anyone he cost us last off-season), but this year, he cost us Matt Reynolds, and/or, maybe he cost us Burch Smith (or another rule 5 selection).

Yes, things like that can matter, but as you say, mostly it's not a big deal.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:53 pm 
All Star

John Mora.

He looks like a serious prospect in ST.

But he's not.

8-[

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:16 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Metsfan980 wrote:
John Mora.

But he's not.

8-[

Just curious, are you there and does he look good? He had a poor 2017 but he flirted with top 50 lists in the past. Lefty bat with a bit of speed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:57 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Location: Contemplating the meaning of life, and why god made me a Mets fan
pennst92 wrote:
David Wright...

His rehab & attempt to come back are distractions at this point that a fragile team does not need. I love DWright as a ball player, but he's done. He should retire gracefully, have a day in his honor and his number stuck on the wall. Then enjoy the fruits of his labor.

Who is it distracting? And why is giving up before he’s ready to “graceful” ? People do seem to like him on a personal level so it’s not like he’s a terrible guy to have around

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:02 am 
Legend of NYFS

Location: Contemplating the meaning of life, and why god made me a Mets fan
I would say Harvey too. Would be huge if he could be good again. I’m not sure we will get all the answers on him in ST, but it could be a sign of things to come

Rich Coutinho wrote:
When I hear Yankee fans whine I always laugh. It is like the people who invented the color blue complaining about life

RIP uapeople

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:41 am 
All Star

LTKfRGM wrote:
Metsfan980 wrote:
John Mora.

But he's not.

8-[

Just curious, are you there and does he look good? He had a poor 2017 but he flirted with top 50 lists in the past. Lefty bat with a bit of speed.

I'm not there yet (I'll be going down in March), but Mora has impressed me each of the last two springs.

His tools don't seem to translate at all in real games, but he reminds me of Timo Perez in spring training.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:19 am 
Legend of NYFS

Metsfan980 wrote:

I'm not there yet (I'll be going down in March), but Mora has impressed me each of the last two springs.

His tools don't seem to translate at all in real games, but he reminds me of Timo Perez in spring training.

Have you seen his funky pre-bat ritual?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:12 am 
Legend of NYFS

Late to the party here, and perhaps a bit of a copout, but I'm going to say the number three starter. We need that number three to be someone not named Jason Vargas, and we need them to deserve that spot. With any semblance of rotation depth behind the top two, this is a pretty good team. Without it, we're probably in for one of those miserable seasons where a couple days a week we look like winners, and the rest we're out of the game by the fifth.