MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Most Important Player this spring training?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:08 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm
Posts: 61832
Ralf wrote:
Harvey.

We desperately need a reliable #3 bridge to the rest of the rotation.


We do, but there's almost no chance its Harvey.

Gsell and Matz were at least good in 2016. Lugo was the most competent of the bunch last year. I'd hang my hat on that over Harvey magically returning to form. And the biggest thing with Harvey is given the unlikelihood of the relationship lasting any longer than another 8 months, max, I really hope the leash is short (though it won't be).

I'll say its Zack Wheeler, because this guy either needs to become something, fast, or we need to stop treating Zack Wheeler different than any number of guys around the league with the big arm and big pedigree but you'd never pencil him into any definitive role (and that has implications beyond this year). Jacob Turner - taken 3 picks after Zack in that 2009 draft - comes to mind.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Most Important Player this spring training?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:35 pm 
Offline
Rookie

Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:10 pm
Posts: 573
I think the team has zero issues with Wright’s indecision. He’s doing his thing and not bothering anyone. These are adults and pros. Might be different on a basketball team where there are twenty-ish players fighting for 15 spots. But in MLB the camps are massive. And it’s not like there’s a “circus” surrounding him. We fans make a bigger deal about it than it practically is. I think.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Most Important Player this spring training?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:54 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:12 pm
Posts: 39757
Location: Panic City
I think this is a Make-Or-Break year for Miguel Pinango.


8)

_________________
Whatever.

8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Most Important Player this spring training?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:44 pm 
User avatar
Offline
MVP

Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:14 am
Posts: 2724
egelband2 wrote:
I think the team has zero issues with Wright’s indecision. He’s doing his thing and not bothering anyone. These are adults and pros. Might be different on a basketball team where there are twenty-ish players fighting for 15 spots. But in MLB the camps are massive. And it’s not like there’s a “circus” surrounding him. We fans make a bigger deal about it than it practically is. I think.


It might not be an issue now but if I'm Sandy Alderson, it has to be really annoying in November and December when you have to figure out a player to cut from the 40 or a player you want to add to the 40 but can't because you are wasting a roster spot on someone you know is not going to play. I know the narrative here is that the guys who rank 37-40 on a roster don't amount to anything most of the time but you have to wonder if eventually it's going to backfire and you actually end up losing someone who is servicable because of Wright taking up a roster spot.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Most Important Player this spring training?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:10 pm 
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 13305
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
piazzafan wrote:
egelband2 wrote:
I think the team has zero issues with Wright’s indecision. He’s doing his thing and not bothering anyone. These are adults and pros. Might be different on a basketball team where there are twenty-ish players fighting for 15 spots. But in MLB the camps are massive. And it’s not like there’s a “circus” surrounding him. We fans make a bigger deal about it than it practically is. I think.


It might not be an issue now but if I'm Sandy Alderson, it has to be really annoying in November and December when you have to figure out a player to cut from the 40 or a player you want to add to the 40 but can't because you are wasting a roster spot on someone you know is not going to play. I know the narrative here is that the guys who rank 37-40 on a roster don't amount to anything most of the time but you have to wonder if eventually it's going to backfire and you actually end up losing someone who is servicable because of Wright taking up a roster spot.


Everything else being equal, Wright cost us Matt Reynolds. (not sure who if anyone he cost us last off-season), but this year, he cost us Matt Reynolds, and/or, maybe he cost us Burch Smith (or another rule 5 selection).

Yes, things like that can matter, but as you say, mostly it's not a big deal.

_________________
RIP Stan Lee. I'll miss your cameos. Excelsior.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Most Important Player this spring training?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:53 pm 
User avatar
Online
All Star

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:46 pm
Posts: 2421
John Mora.

He looks like a serious prospect in ST.

But he's not.

8-[


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Most Important Player this spring training?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:16 pm 
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 13305
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
Metsfan980 wrote:
John Mora.

He looks like a serious prospect in ST.

But he's not.

8-[


Just curious, are you there and does he look good? He had a poor 2017 but he flirted with top 50 lists in the past. Lefty bat with a bit of speed.

_________________
RIP Stan Lee. I'll miss your cameos. Excelsior.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Most Important Player this spring training?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:57 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:36 pm
Posts: 25917
Location: Contemplating the meaning of life, and why god made me a Mets fan
pennst92 wrote:
David Wright...

His rehab & attempt to come back are distractions at this point that a fragile team does not need. I love DWright as a ball player, but he's done. He should retire gracefully, have a day in his honor and his number stuck on the wall. Then enjoy the fruits of his labor.

Who is it distracting? And why is giving up before he’s ready to “graceful” ? People do seem to like him on a personal level so it’s not like he’s a terrible guy to have around


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Most Important Player this spring training?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:02 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:36 pm
Posts: 25917
Location: Contemplating the meaning of life, and why god made me a Mets fan
I would say Harvey too. Would be huge if he could be good again. I’m not sure we will get all the answers on him in ST, but it could be a sign of things to come

_________________
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
"Wright is greedy" is easily the worst take in the recent history of Mets fandom, and there have been some bad takes in Mets fandom.

Rich Coutinho wrote:
When I hear Yankee fans whine I always laugh. It is like the people who invented the color blue complaining about life


RIP uapeople


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Most Important Player this spring training?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:41 am 
User avatar
Online
All Star

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:46 pm
Posts: 2421
LTKfRGM wrote:
Metsfan980 wrote:
John Mora.

He looks like a serious prospect in ST.

But he's not.

8-[


Just curious, are you there and does he look good? He had a poor 2017 but he flirted with top 50 lists in the past. Lefty bat with a bit of speed.


I'm not there yet (I'll be going down in March), but Mora has impressed me each of the last two springs.

His tools don't seem to translate at all in real games, but he reminds me of Timo Perez in spring training.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Most Important Player this spring training?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:19 am 
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 13305
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
Metsfan980 wrote:

I'm not there yet (I'll be going down in March), but Mora has impressed me each of the last two springs.

His tools don't seem to translate at all in real games, but he reminds me of Timo Perez in spring training.


Have you seen his funky pre-bat ritual?

_________________
RIP Stan Lee. I'll miss your cameos. Excelsior.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Most Important Player this spring training?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:12 am 
User avatar
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 24803
Location: Pittsburgh
Late to the party here, and perhaps a bit of a copout, but I'm going to say the number three starter. We need that number three to be someone not named Jason Vargas, and we need them to deserve that spot. With any semblance of rotation depth behind the top two, this is a pretty good team. Without it, we're probably in for one of those miserable seasons where a couple days a week we look like winners, and the rest we're out of the game by the fifth.

_________________
Baseball has a way of ripping your ❤️ out, stabbing it, putting it back in your chest, then healing itself just in time for Spring Training. - Thor


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Hot Takes, Majestic-12 [Bot], Metsfan980, Mogriffjr, Munky00, northway, sluger11787 and 134 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


FIND AN AA MEETING | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL BEST SELLERS | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GET HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | VETERAN TIPS ON CRAFT DIY RECIPES | FIND ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB LOCAL NEW OR USED BOOK STORE | KNICKS BLOG FORUM BOARDS | © Untraditional Media