MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do players drop for a reason?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:09 am 
Legend of NYFS

OK, 1) I may be overthinking stuff and B), it's just a sample size of two players.

But the last 2 drafts the mets selected a player who they didn't expect to be around at their pick who fell. Both picks, Dunn and Peterson, don't look like good picks right now though, perhaps it's early on Peterson, might be early on both, but based on a sample size of two, there might be a pattern.

Player falls to the mets.
Mets select player, give them full slot.
Player turns out to be not a very good pick.

did the teams that passed no Dunn and Peterson know something the mets didn't? and, I know, I'm reaching. I'd love for Dunn and Peterson to prove me wrong too. Just kinda pondering the possibility that players who fall might not be the way to draft.

With the #6 pick next year, I don't think this will happen. It's more of a situation for the mets when they draft in the 20 range.

Post subject: Re: Do players drop for a reason?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:25 am 
Legend of NYFS

The trouble is the college pitchers have all pitched well, and they're going to run out before 6.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:44 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

LTKfRGM wrote:
OK, 1) I may be overthinking stuff and B), it's just a sample size of two players.

But the last 2 drafts the mets selected a player who they didn't expect to be around at their pick who fell. Both picks, Dunn and Peterson, don't look like good picks right now though, perhaps it's early on Peterson, might be early on both, but based on a sample size of two, there might be a pattern.

did the teams that passed no Dunn and Peterson know something the mets didn't? and, I know, I'm reaching. I'd love for Dunn and Peterson to prove me wrong too. Just kinda pondering the possibility that players who fall might not be the way to draft.

With the #6 pick next year, I don't think this will happen. It's more of a situation for the mets when they draft in the 20 range.

both players look fine to me

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:44 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

LTKfRGM wrote:

Dunn wasn't a drop either. he was around that ranking

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:53 pm 
MVP

IlikeIKE wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:

both players look fine to me

Too early on Peterson. But Dunn is worrisome at this point. He stunk last year and this year he has 25 IP and 39 baserunners. Yikes!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:54 pm 
MVP

LTKfRGM wrote:

I actually think that the Mets might need to start moving away from the college player who had only one good year in college.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:10 am 
Legend of NYFS

piazzafan wrote:

I actually think that the Mets might need to start moving away from the college player who had only one good year in college.

No rule is absolute, but you might be onto something here (I think Harvey bit that mold as a one year break-out pitcher) and he was all things considered, a good pick, though injuries obviously hurt his value.

I'm also changing my opinion on Peterson. I'm starting to like him a lot more after his last 2 starts. Dunn however, doesn't look like a good pick at #22 or wherever he was picked.