MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 786 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018 DRAFT!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:29 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Matt Powers (anyone heard of him?)

gives the mets an A- for day 2. He likes Cortes.

https://www.mlbdailydish.com/2018/6/6/1 ... -two-picks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:36 pm 
Everyday Player

LTKfRGM wrote:
MaxV wrote:
I seem to remember Mets had a prospect that the let play football also.

Didn’t work out.

It only cost them $100 grand if I remember right and a 15th/16th round pick. Not too bad.

$325K

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:36 pm 
Legend of NYFS

You can cherry-pick players you would have rather taken for 40 rounds.

But at the end of the day our draft is going to look exactly like every other teams, and history is going to be based on who hits on the most lottery tickets.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:40 pm 
Legend of NYFS

degromination wrote:
Obviously the third day was completely underwhelming.... I was going in liking what they had done for the most part, had them sitting a solid "B" if they just nabbed the usual two or three real interesting (bUT realistic) overslots. I now have a "C" on it, with a chance for lower if we can't get ANY of the post-teens signability guys to lock in.

Well, I have less problem with day 3 than I do with days 1 & 2.

Seems there are enough mildly interesting players taken yesterday but obviously that'll certainly hinge on whether or not they can get Mejia, Clarke and even Zona inked.

But earlier yesterday, I got a few interesting grabs: Ross, Winans, Wilson, Brooks, Senger, Rheams, and Mompierre.

My issue is that I would have done the first 5 rounds completely different.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:47 pm 
Legend of NYFS

FG recap:
Quote:
Wisconsin CF Jarred Kelenic (1) is arguably the best prep hitter in the class and should stick in center while exhibiting about average power…Texas prep RHP Simeon Woods-Richardson (2) is an athlete with a very loose arm who flashes three above-average pitches but is still pretty raw… South Carolina LF Carlos Cortes (3) has plus lefty raw power and ended the season hot after a terrible start. He’s squatty, has played some second base ,and is ambidextrous… South Carolina RHP Adam Hill (4) looked like a second-rounder some days and a seventh-rounder on others. His fastball/slider/command trifecta could produce a fourth starter or middle reliever… Clemson RHP Ryley Gilliam (5) reminds some of Trevor Gott, a smaller reliever who gets into the mid-90s with a sharp curve and is always in attack mode… Tylor Megill (8) is a big righty from Arizona with a low-90s fastball and average slide… Cal Poly C Nick Meyer (6) is an above-average defender and thrower who has a little contact ability but no power… Missouri RHP Bryce Montes de Oca (9) has had injuries, but is a 6-foot-7 behemoth who’s hit 100 mph. The Mets drafted a bunch of big college arms on Day 2.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:08 pm 
Legend of NYFS

underdog wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:
MaxV wrote:
I seem to remember Mets had a prospect that the let play football also.

Didn’t work out.

It only cost them $100 grand if I remember right and a 15th/16th round pick. Not too bad.

$325K

He forfeited some of that when he went to football full time. I think the final signing bonus was $100 K.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:14 pm 
Everyday Player

He forfeited some of that when he went to football full time. I think the final signing bonus was $100 K.[/quote]

Who paid for his school?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:39 pm 
Legend of NYFS

underdog wrote:
Quote:
He forfeited some of that when he went to football full time. I think the final signing bonus was $100 K.

Who paid for his school?

I'm going to take a wild guess and say football scholarship.

Wikipedia says that he forfeited $250 K. Mets paid him $75K (plus the $2K a month stipend or whatever it is for a few summers).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_M ... d_baseball

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:42 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Either way, there's a big difference with a $325 K gamble with a note in it that if he chooses football he doesn't get all of it, taken in the 16th round pick and what the A's did.

Now, if this guy works out, maybe the A's end up looking smart. But for now they're getting some criticism.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:49 pm 
Draft Pick

Guys I posted about Rheams and Texas Tech playing Duke Saturday in the Super Regional. I am sure it will be televised somewhere.
Tech also has a possible top 10 pick in next years draft, 3rd baseman Josh Jung. Kid is a stud. It looks like will be drafting in top ten next year and it is a big time position of need.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:58 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
FG recap:
Quote:
Wisconsin CF Jarred Kelenic (1) is arguably the best prep hitter in the class and should stick in center while exhibiting about average power…Texas prep RHP Simeon Woods-Richardson (2) is an athlete with a very loose arm who flashes three above-average pitches but is still pretty raw… South Carolina LF Carlos Cortes (3) has plus lefty raw power and ended the season hot after a terrible start. He’s squatty, has played some second base ,and is ambidextrous… South Carolina RHP Adam Hill (4) looked like a second-rounder some days and a seventh-rounder on others. His fastball/slider/command trifecta could produce a fourth starter or middle reliever… Clemson RHP Ryley Gilliam (5) reminds some of Trevor Gott, a smaller reliever who gets into the mid-90s with a sharp curve and is always in attack mode… Tylor Megill (8) is a big righty from Arizona with a low-90s fastball and average slide… Cal Poly C Nick Meyer (6) is an above-average defender and thrower who has a little contact ability but no power… Missouri RHP Bryce Montes de Oca (9) has had injuries, but is a 6-foot-7 behemoth who’s hit 100 mph. The Mets drafted a bunch of big college arms on Day 2.

Reminds some of a so far terrible soon to be 26 year big league reliever? lol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:20 pm 
Everyday Player

LTKfRGM wrote:
underdog wrote:
Quote:

Who paid for his school?

I'm going to take a wild guess and say football scholarship.

Wikipedia says that he forfeited $250 K. Mets paid him $75K (plus the $2K a month stipend or whatever it is for a few summers).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_M ... d_baseball

Pretty sure you can't be on athletic scholarship in a sport if you are a pro in another.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 786 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66  Next