MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018 NYM Draft: Round 1, Pick 6: CF Jarred Kelenic
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:37 am 
NYFS Staff

northway wrote:
Mogriffjr wrote:
As expected, Waukesha’s Jarred Kelenic will sign with the #Mets and become a professional baseball player. He is still figuring out the financials in his contract, but he will sign for less than the slot of $5.5 million to get better player options.

Per Stephen Watson on twitter

What does this mean? I thought per the current CBA there isn't all that much flexibility in contracts.

Me too. Unless he means the Mets will have more options for better players due to slot extra money?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:52 am 
Everyday Player

jdawginsc wrote:
northway wrote:
Mogriffjr wrote:
As expected, Waukesha’s Jarred Kelenic will sign with the #Mets and become a professional baseball player. He is still figuring out the financials in his contract, but he will sign for less than the slot of $5.5 million to get better player options.

Per Stephen Watson on twitter

What does this mean? I thought per the current CBA there isn't all that much flexibility in contracts.

Me too. Unless he means the Mets will have more options for better players due to slot extra money?

From what I have read on this, player options means he gets to choose where he starts. So if he wants to start in Kingsport, he will be given that option.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:53 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Couldn't find the dang thread.

But Rotoworld:

Quote:

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that the Mets have reached an agreement with first round pick Jarred Kelenic.

While the financial details haven't been announced yet, Kelenic is expected to get around $5 million. He was widely considered the best prep position player in the draft class, and was the first high schooler to come off the board at sixth overall.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:05 pm 
Legend of NYFS

If it's $5M, that's about what I expected and nice to have that extra half mil to use elsewhere.

Meanwhile it sounds like the Phils are signing Bohm for nearly a million under the slot. wow.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:09 pm 
Draft Pick

Bohm 1 million under slot is a steal. I'm good with 5 million and expect some apologies in 5 years when he is a better version of Conforto. Jokes aside I'm hopeful it was 5.0 not 5.5.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:00 am 
Everyday Player

I think around 4.5

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:20 am 
Legend of NYFS

$525 K to spread around for overslots is nice. They should get 1 or 2 nice day 3 guys for that. I think I predicted 5.2 5.0 is even better.

Post subject: Re: 2018 NYM Draft: Round 1, Pick 6 CF Jarred Kelenic
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:34 am 
Everyday Player

HeyNowHK wrote:
Hot Takes wrote:
The Juice wrote:
Where would you guys slot him in the Mets top 10?

I have him 7th behind Gimenez, Alonso, Peterson, Vientos, Szapucki and McNeil (I think he deserves jumping way up on the overall list with what he has done, regardless of prior opinion, age, ceiling, etc. He has just been too good to put behind anyone else IMO) and ahead of Kay and Dunn. 10th spot could be one a whole bunch of guys. Humphreys? Mauricio? Cecchini?

Alonso
Gimenez
Peterson
Kelenic
Dunn
Szapucki
Vientos
McNeil

Guys ahead of Kelenic are there because of proximity, mostly. Beyond that -- who knows?

As to rankings, on what basis would he be ahead of Mauricio?

I'm wondering the opposite -- on what basis is Mauricio ahead of Kelenic?

Kelenic has a higher floor imo. Mauricio's a tougher bet physically as he's not the best athlete, and there's a very real chance he moves off SS eventually. Kelenic is going to have pretty solid tools across the board, whereas Mauricio is mostly a hit/power prospect.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:17 pm 
General Manager

Hot Takes wrote:

Kelenic has a higher floor imo. Mauricio's a tougher bet physically as he's not the best athlete, and there's a very real chance he moves off SS eventually. Kelenic is going to have pretty solid tools across the board, whereas Mauricio is mostly a hit/power prospect.

agree with this

I question the pick of Kelenic because there were 3 kids that were consistently ahead of him in pre-draft rankings that were available at the Mets pick - Singer, Liberatore, Stewart.

But Kelenic was considered the best HS position player in the draft (at the top or near the top consistently)

Maybe Mauricio has more upside if he can stick at short but there is also considerably more risk than Kelenic who seems more polished and well rounded (and also might stick at a premium position - CF)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:50 pm 
Legend of NYFS

bygranddesign wrote:
Hot Takes wrote:

agree with this

I question the pick of Kelenic because there were 3 kids that were consistently ahead of him in pre-draft rankings that were available at the Mets pick - Singer, Liberatore, Stewart.

But Kelenic was considered the best HS position player in the draft (at the top or near the top consistently)

Maybe Mauricio has more upside if he can stick at short but there is also considerably more risk than Kelenic who seems more polished and well rounded (and also might stick at a premium position - CF)

Mauricio getting bumped straight to the GCL indicates that he has already impressed the org sufficiently to bypass playing the DSL. And at 17, he's going to be one of the youngest players in the GCL. That's going at the same pace as Vientos did a year ago. Even Gimenez didn't skip the DSL at 17. Also supposedly reports have been strong on Mauricio fwiw.

By contrast, Kelenic will be 19 in 1 month. So until he proves that the age difference should be thrown out, I'll have to put him behind both Mauricio and Vientos.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:13 pm 
Everyday Player

Kelenic, Vientos, and Mauricio will hopefully be quite the trio coming up the system. You could talk yourself in circles trying to rank them, at least without more pro ABs to go on.

For fun, I'll go with Vientos. I think he was a huge get for us last year, and love that he showed something in Short-Season despite his age.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:44 am 
Legend of NYFS

Michael Mayer

@mikemayerMMO
2m2 minutes ago
More Michael Mayer Retweeted FanGraphs Baseball
Mets have three prospects on the list:

#73 Peter Alonso
#96 Jarred Kelenic
#103 Andres Gimenez

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next